Words Words Words

Vallium

Conversations are weird, talking is weird, people are weird.

Almost all times I feel like I have to say the right thing, that what you say is going to earn you cool points. The words you say are going to boost or decrease your status in the eyes of others.

When I present a topic or idea or joke and my peers are disinterested or negative about it, I feel deflated. I dropped in status. The more I do this the more that Im going to lose favor somehow.

vice versa, if I said something that is well recieved I feel Ive integrated into the proper rank of society

its a dog-eat-dog world and there and people expect small talk, Im worried I wont excel in the workplace because I wont speak. Sure, I do my job well, but there's also an internal onnoficial desire for people to be socially interactive, if you fail, youre less liked within the coworker circle.

i dont know, Im dumb with this sort of thing and thinking far too much on judgementalness of peers. Fuck you, anxiety.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

This is not something that is an experience for me, mainly because I choose my words by the logic behind them rather than others reaction to them.

Perhaps it doesn't matter what they think, for the most part?

Edit:

Not that their opinions and lives don't matter, but rather that their reaction to your actions should be a reaction, not something you worry about too much.

Edited by Johanna Waya

Hell, get the 'score' high enough and they'll like you unconditionally and put up with babbly shit.

There are always people who will warm to you and be able to listen and be happy. Even more common if you play your cards right. 

But hey, not all of us like card games!

Furries tend to be abnormally good listeners, though.

When I present a topic or idea or joke and my peers are disinterested or negative about it, I feel deflated. I dropped in status. The more I do this the more that Im going to lose favor somehow.

vice versa, if I said something that is well recieved I feel Ive integrated into the proper rank of society

I get that feeling as well, yeah. I just stopped caring about the score.

Hell, get the 'score' high enough and they'll like you unconditionally and put up with babbly shit.

There are always people who will warm to you and be able to listen and be happy. Even more common if you play your cards right. 

But hey, not all of us like card games!

Furries tend to be abnormally good listeners, though.

And people always said The Sims was an unrealistic representation of reality. 

I'd rather people be uninterested than mad. I hate when people get mad because I brought up the wrong topic. It makes me feel like a fool, and it makes me feel like I need to go sit in a corner with a foolish hat on until I understand why it was the wrong place and time to bring that up. It fortunately doesn't happen as often as it could.

And people always said The Sims was an unrealistic representation of reality. 

I'd rather people be uninterested than mad. I hate when people get mad because I brought up the wrong topic. It makes me feel like a fool, and it makes me feel like I need to go sit in a corner with a foolish hat on until I understand why it was the wrong place and time to bring that up. It fortunately doesn't happen as often as it could.

To be honest, I can't be bothered with the kind of whiny people that get mad over jokes.

• Like 1

To be honest, I can't be bothered with the kind of whiny people that get mad over jokes.

I try to avoid them. I love joking. It's why I'd make an awful politician. I wouldn't be able to avoid sneaking in politically incorrect jokes once in a while, just to provoke the kind of wonderful "shocked-reaction-but-totally-laughing" kind of outburst they can produce.

• Like 2

i seem to have the opposite problem where i feel like i'm a complete asshole and then for some reason there's a good number of people are nice to me or seem to want to hang around and i never know what to do. like...it's almost like being given any value for me is a detractor if i feel like the audience should dislike me for whatever reason i'm able to make up.

but of course there's also people who greatly dislike my sense of humour and with my very absurdist behaviour a lot of the things that i don't actually mean get taken seriously, and that just causes many more problems than i'd like to deal with. and honestly that's just as hard to figure out; when i feel as though i'm totally incapable of talking to someone because i figure what i say will be fully misinterpreted, i just decide not to say anything.

I deal with the same sort of thing, I have improved my means of small talk over the past few years but it still remains very difficult for me because I tend to show very little enthusiasm when faced with a small talk situation. I also have that kind of problem in conversations that are not in person. This forum is an example and it tends to be very overwhelming for me.