#Phoenix IRC

Summercat

Phoenix has a chatroom, on IRC!

irc.furnet.org , room is #phoenix

Instructions: Download and install any IRC client. mIRC/Hexchat/Chatzilla all work.

ircs://irc.furnet.org/phoenix in a browser will connect you to the server and the room. Alternatively, follow the instructions for the above clients, server is irc.furnet.org

Alternative: Mibbit Browser App

Rules:

Follow the Furnet Code of Conduct
No Flaming, Spamming, Racial Slurs, or Harassment.
No Non-Approved Bots or Scripts
Channel is now 13+ with regards to adult and mature content, following the main Phoenix rules.

Edited by Summercat
consolidated and edited post, added Mibbit link, added simple rules
  • Like 3

Don't know where the edit is, so:

Instructions: Download and install any IRC client. mIRC/Hexchat/Chatzilla all work.

ircs://irc.furnet.org/phoenix will connect you to the server and the room.

I'm certain that a more detailed explanation can be done in a bit.

Also, note that you need a registered nickname in order to join the #phoenix channel.

1) Upon connecting, send a message to nickserv to register your current nickname; /msg nickserv register [password]

2) In the email you receive from the services, click the link. This will authenticate your account and allow you to join #phoenix.

When connecting to Furnet in the future, all you need to do is message nickserv with /msg nickserv identify [password]. Depending on your client, you may be able to automate or alias this process.

EDIT: Why the fuck did you link my text, Phoenix :|

Edited by Kaedal

You do? That was set up? 

Whoops. I would have totally mentioned that but I didn't think it was set up.

Yep. The channel modes for #phoenix are +CfnrRStT, which are the exact same used for the Furaffinity channels :P

We'd need to lose the +R to allow non-reg nicks to join.

• 2 weeks later...

I try to connect and the first fucking thing FurNet does is port scan my entire system looking for "Open Proxies."

Yes, that's a fairly common IRC technique for detecting channel users that are attempting to avoid bans by using proxies.  Its not unique to irc.furnet.org

f I have them, that's none of FurNet's fucking business.

Which is why  you should be connecting to their SSL  servers (port 6697), not their open servers.

No go. Pick an IRC network that's actually respectful of how people choose to set up their machines.

Given the trolling and harassment that goes on in the fandom and against the fandom, Furnet has chosen one of the few tools available to them to mitigate the problem and increase the user experience. 

I try to connect and the first fucking thing FurNet does is port scan my entire system looking for "Open Proxies."

If I have them, that's none of FurNet's fucking business.

No go. Pick an IRC network that's actually respectful of how people choose to set up their machines.

Translation: "I demand that the Pheonix IRC channel confirm to my specifications or I will not grace it with my magnificent presence!"

• Like 1

It appears to be fairly unique as I've never encountered that in oh 20+ years of IRC usage across DALNet/EFNet and those are two of the biggest troll-troubled networks out there.

I've seen it elsewhere, particularly on smaller, niche networks.  Might be non-unique to the backwaters that I hang out in.

SSL has been permanently broken since 2008, and it was utterly raped with BEAST/CRIME/POODLE.

SSL was broken the day it was released, and Convergence is a long way off from implementation.

In the state of California, that's considered trespass to chattels, and is illegal. 

That's interesting, because there's a furnet server in CA.  Wolf, I think.  So either they don't care, they're not scanning there, or its null if you opt in by connecting and staying connected.  I'd have to give the furnet TOS more than a skim read to be sure.   But i expect its a an opt-in waiver.

Regardless, if you want to play on furnet.org, its the price of admission.

Just from a quick search of the status-window it looks like Esper, SynIRC, Rizon, and Freenode also run proxy scan or say that they might if they want to. It's not too uncommon anymore and not unreasonable really. Maybe it *is* your machine, but if it has an anonymous, unauthenticated proxy service running, who's to know if it's you using your machine, or someone else, unknown, proxying through it? Including people who are supposed to be banned. This is also why Tor users on Freenode have to auth with SASL. 

If this is causing problems with the open proxy you're running on your computer for some reason, I suggest to blacklist the addresses of the Furnet servers so that they won't know about it. 

Anthrochat is remarkably laissez-faire and Dal and Ef kind of don't seem like they're in the same playing field, in this respect, with modern IRC networks that love services so much. It seems like selecting outliers to say they're the baseline, lel. 

Any suggestions for Android IRC clients? Currently using Atomic. Would like one to notify with vibrate or other non-sound when a line is posted. Atomic only buzzes if your nick is mentioned, which makes it irritating to keep up while browsing the internet. Availability on F-Droid is preferable.

• 5 months later...
  • Guest unpinned this topic