Rant: dumping animals

MissFleece

Dont worry Timmy, we found a nice farm for Rex to live.

Except the farmer probably shot Rex because we dumped him in the road rather than take the damn dog to a shelter. 

Farmers dont want your fucking dogs! They're most likely going to be hit by a car, starve to death, or get shot for hurting livestock. No farmer is going to take your dog in and love it forever, people dump too many dogs for them all to be rescued. 

Please do not dump animals out in the country. 

/rant

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, MissFleece said:

Yep. I actually got a new friend today because some people dumped two dogs :c 

Jeez that sucks but unfortunately I don't think it will ever stop happening as people assume dogs are like wolves and can survive in the wild or would rather have them live outside Rather than be put in a overcrowded kennel to be put down within a week 

5 minutes ago, Joel said:

Jeez that sucks but unfortunately I don't think it will ever stop happening as people assume dogs are like wolves and can survive in the wild or would rather have them live outside Rather than be put in a overcrowded kennel to be put down within a week 

:/ They're likely to not last that long in the country. 

The sad reality is that if you dump a dog, it will stay in the road waiting for you to come back. It will run out in front of cars thinking it's your car and that you've returned for them. Or they'll be too scared and confused to go near people, get hungry, and either starve or attack animals like deer, sheep, cows, goats etc to eat. This leads to them being hunted down and shot, usually not a great way to die. 

If you dump your dog, you're giving it a death sentence. 

1 hour ago, MissFleece said:

Dont worry Timmy, we found a nice farm for Rex to live.

Except the farmer probably shot Rex because we dumped him in the road rather than take the damn dog to a shelter. 

Farmers dont want your fucking dogs! They're most likely going to be hit by a car, starve to death, or get shot for hurting livestock. No farmer is going to take your dog in and love it forever, people dump too many dogs for them all to be rescued. 

Please do not dump animals out in the country. 

/rant

It is sad. The best dog I had growing up, a Malamute/Collie mix was a dog somebody had just dumped, but as an only child till I was 8 and on 240 acres of woods surrounded by state parks, he was the best dog/friend I ever had, those long walks and exploring the rivers, forests, swamps, fields and streams. There weren't any neighbors nearby that had kids; we only got two channels on the TV, that far north.

But this was a lucky coincidence: too many people just abandon animals, people who were often too dumb to have had them in the first place. It's sad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

It is sad. The best dog I had growing up, a Malamute/Collie mix was a dog somebody had just dumped, but as an only child till I was 8 and on 240 acres of woods surrounded by national parks, he was the best dog/friend I ever had, those long walks and exploring the rivers, forests, swamps, fields and streams. There weren't any neighbors nearby that had kids; we only got two channels on the TV, that far north.

But this was a lucky coincidence: too many people just abandon animals, people who were often too dumb to have had them in the first place. It's sad.

Man it's like you either find the coolest dog or the meanest dog in the middle of nowhere. 

3 minutes ago, MissFleece said:

Man it's like you either find the coolest dog or the meanest dog in the middle of nowhere. 

It does seem that way. This boy was really sweet and loyal from day one; another stray we came across was pretty crazy; we kept her, but mainly outside, if she got loose, she''d eat the neighbors chickens (and ours), and cause a lot of trouble. Not a mean dog, just not one we could ever tame. Medium white dog, rather smooth fur, could slip out of a collar easy, and oddly, was able to pull me in one of those red plastic sleds in the snow, when I was, say 8. Very strong. It's curious, when you think of how strong a dog can be, for their size. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fossa-Boy said:

It's curious, when you think of how strong a dog can be, for their size. 

lol as someone who has horses, it always surprises me that they arent stronger. But it really puts into perspective how easy it would be for a team to pull a 300lb sled and a 200lb man. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aouzy said:

In my area, anything dumped in the more farm areas are likely to get eaten by coyotes. It's sad that people still do it.

Coyotes get cats around here most the time, a few really tough barn cats survived this year though, so that's good. 

but yeah pets who have no experience around the country have no hope fending off coyotes, or cougars, hawks for small dogs/cats, bobcats, bears, really fucked up people will take strays and torture them. No one who loves animals will ever dump their pets. 

• Like 1

Protip: Dont get a dog if you dont have the means to are for it and are just going to move on

...its a life commitment not a toy for your amusement until you get bored or busy

31 minutes ago, MissFleece said:

Coyotes get cats around here most the time, a few really tough barn cats survived this year though, so that's good. 

but yeah pets who have no experience around the country have no hope fending off coyotes, or cougars, hawks for small dogs/cats, bobcats, bears, really fucked up people will take strays and torture them. No one who loves animals will ever dump their pets. 

Strays and "free" dogs are commonly used by dogfighters to toughen up and train their own dogs to hurt or kill other animals for sport

So not only is dumping a huge offense, but just handing over your animal to the first taker without finding out if it has the right home is bad for it as well.

• Like 1

that's ass.

my family hasn't intentionally dumped animals in random places to my knowledge (though i wouldn't be surprised), but they don't have a very good record with the many animals they insist on keeping.  getting new pets without socializing them or introducing them to existing pets, then getting rid of the old pet when they find out it doesn't get along with the shiny new one by dropping it off at the shelter (where it escapes before getting through the door and runs into the woods).. leaving animals behind with family members who don't want or like them.. backyard breeding.. and the list of wrongful deaths and general poor treatment is one that just goes on and on. 

point being, you'd think people who claim to love animals so much that they never stop bringing them into their homes would at least take the time to treat them better--and actually be invested in keeping them.  but no, the moment something becomes inconvenient, it gets pushed aside, dropped off on someone else, mistreated, or put down.  they may not be human, but they are living things, not just decorations or toys.  even animals that serve a function, from a guard dog to an egg-laying hen, are more than just tools and need some kind of consideration if they're going to remain healthy--which, if they're doing some kind of job for you, should probably be a priority anyway.  i don't think anyone should bring home a living thing if they aren't capable of caring about its welfare. 

and maybe it's just my experience, but the same people who do things like this to animals will treat other humans just as badly in one way or another.  they might be less obvious about it because they care more about people than animals (or maybe just because it's harder to get away with doing the same things to people), but i think it's just a general lack of empathy that extends beyond cats and dogs.

41 minutes ago, Gator said:

that's ass.

my family hasn't intentionally dumped animals in random places to my knowledge (though i wouldn't be surprised), but they don't have a very good record with the many animals they insist on keeping.  getting new pets without socializing them or introducing them to existing pets, then getting rid of the old pet when they find out it doesn't get along with the shiny new one by dropping it off at the shelter

This was probably the saddest part of that, tbh. You'd think they would give up the new one at least

its pretty much materialism with living things

• Like 1

@Gator my mom had chickens that laid eggs, she'd buy them special treats from the store and they followed her around like dogs, it was really cute. She gave one of her chickens to a friend, and the friend called her to put her on speaker because the chicken would only come to my mom's voice.

People who dont love their animals bother me.

• Like 1

My friend lives in rural Tennessee and she says people just shoot em

54 minutes ago, Gator said:

which reminds me, i really want some chickens whenever i have my own house.  i love them and i get tired of this always being met with "lel tasty"

Got em around here

roosters crowing all day long. Roommate hates it but I love it