Possum in my car

Red Lion

Last night my dad took my car to go and grab some bread from the Food Lion and when he got home he decided to chat with one of the neighbors. It didn't occur to him to close the door while he spent 20 minutes chatting. So naturally some critter sneaks out of the woods and decides a nice warm car is a perfect place to curl up. I guess dad didn't notice him when he finally did shut the car door because when I opened it this morning there was a big angry marsupial in the seat. This happened after my scheduled Wednesday morning "chase the coyotes away from the garbage can". We keep the can in the garage most of the time but Wednesday and Thursday are when we take the garbage up to the road for pick up.  My mom is terrified of the coyotes but banging on a pan is usually all I need to do to make them scatter. Possum wasn't so easy.  I tried to open the door and back away but he wasn't coming out so I tried opening the other door and prodding him out with a broom, nada.  I was running late so I finally grabbed some heavy gloves and a towel. Fucker hissed at me the whole time but I managed to grab him and set him down in the woods. I live in a suburban type neighborhood but my house is still in the damn woods, you can't even really see it for the trees in the summer so right around this time of year we get a lot of wildlife activity. It's just starting to get cold so everything is prepping for winter. Making nests in inconvenient places, scavenging for food and sniffing around our garden. 

In summary: I got coyotes up in my trash and possums in my car. ;u; WINTER IS COMING.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Strongbob said:

It's funny how in stories and our imaginations wild animals are noble/cute/majestic/friendly/wise/whatever, but in real life most of them are just a big pain in the a$$. 

The same could be said of people and our fantasies about them. But, like people, the potential to live up to our fantasy exists under the right context and circumstances.

• Like 1

In all honesty I'm not sure I'd even want animals to be all wise and majestic. Gross and pesky as they are I like the wildlife for what it is. I like how ungracefully possums waddle around and how lanky and awkward the coyotes are. Somehow knowing they're just walking piles of poop, fleas and annoyance makes them...I dunno familiar. If you own a dog you know that no matter how beautiful he is he still chews his own ass. Finding nasty owl pellets full of bones is neat. I love horses, but they are big, stinky, dirty creatures who shed, poop wherever they feel like and usually come with flies. It's gross but at the same time, it's real, it's an actual thing I am familiar with and can understand. If I met a horse that didn't poop, shed or have at least a few flies buzzing around I'd be kind of creeped out. I do have to say though, the cleanest farm animals I've ever encountered were pigs. Pigs might wallow in mud to cool off but they usually won't soil their living area and if you take proper care of them they don't smell bad. 

Just now, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Id take run ins with pesky wildlife any day, that sounds amazing. All we get here is your squirrels and birds and even with that its nice to watch them do their thing, but itd be nice to have variety and see the larger critters around from time to time

We get a good bit of action around here. Aside from coyotes and possums we also get owls, bats, skunks, a massively fatass groundhog and the occasional gray fox. 

I took a picture of a big five point buck yesterday through my front window at about five paces, which I thought was cool until he decided to start ravaging one of the trees in my front lawn with his big horns.  I had to run outside and scare him away before he did any real damage.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LadyRadarEars said:

I hate possums. They would always try and eat my cats or my chickens when I was growing up. You are a braver person than I :V

also they don't taste very good even if you find one that's actually safe to eat

Eeeeh not that brave. I was afraid he'd try to bite me, and I didn't hang on to him any longer than I absolutely had to.

I find it amusing how people seem to think that just because they live in a built-up area, that means there isn't much wildlife.

I've had three generations of raccoons living in the tree in my back yard, I have to chase opossums off the back porch every few nights, I've seen foxes and coyotes running around and hiding in storm drains all over town, and I've had to stop for deer several times on the way home from my old night shift job. I don't live in the sticks either; most of this happened in one of the busiest parts of a city of 80,000.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Pennsylvania, wildlife everywhere. Quick story.

I was walking home after dark from work in the early fall, when the crabapples were just starting to drop. Part of walk home involves crossing an unlit field with a few trees here and there. I walk stupidly quietly, can't help it.  I've snuck up on skunks and groundhogs, totally on accident.

Not this night though. There's two doe standing in the field, maybe 25 yards off, uphill, and they haven't noticed me yet. I stop admire the view, hecking beautiful creatures, and it's incredible that I'm this close to them. To my left there is a wide old maple tree, and as I stand there, a 6 point buck moseys out from behind it. Five feet away from me. I start, because holy shit I am THIS CLOSE TO A HUGE FUCKING ANIMAL WITH FUZZY DAGGERS ON IT'S HEAD WHAT, HOW DID HE NOT HEAR ME and he finally notices me, snorts and, in a classic whitetail-are-stupid move runs TOWARD ME TO ESCAPE WHILE HIS IDIOT DOE FRIENDS SCATTER, and I fall the fuck over as to not get hit by a hulking load of terrified venison. He thunders off haphazardly to the west and I'm just sitting in the damp grass with a wet ass wtf'n hard. Few minutes pass and I finish the walk home uneventfully. I still see the idiotic pronghead across the field occasionally, but I've never been that close to a deer since.

Tl;dr, deer are dumb.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, littlerock said:

I live in Pennsylvania, wildlife everywhere. Quick story.

I was walking home after dark from work in the early fall, when the crabapples were just starting to drop. Part of walk home involves crossing an unlit field with a few trees here and there. I walk stupidly quietly, can't help it.  I've snuck up on skunks and groundhogs, totally on accident.

Not this night though. There's two doe standing in the field, maybe 25 yards off, uphill, and they haven't noticed me yet. I stop admire the view, hecking beautiful creatures, and it's incredible that I'm this close to them. To my left there is a wide old maple tree, and as I stand there, a 6 point buck moseys out from behind it. Five feet away from me. I start, because holy shit I am THIS CLOSE TO A HUGE FUCKING ANIMAL WITH FUZZY DAGGERS ON IT'S HEAD WHAT, HOW DID HE NOT HEAR ME and he finally notices me, snorts and, in a classic whitetail-are-stupid move runs TOWARD ME TO ESCAPE WHILE HIS IDIOT DOE FRIENDS SCATTER, and I fall the fuck over as to not get hit by a hulking load of terrified venison. He thunders off haphazardly to the west and I'm just sitting in the damp grass with a wet ass wtf'n hard. Few minutes pass and I finish the walk home uneventfully. I still see the idiotic pronghead across the field occasionally, but I've never been that close to a deer since.

Tl;dr, deer are dumb.

It's a good thing there are not moose in PA!

• Like 1