Why Are You Even Here?

Toshabi

So I made it into my BA program at my college for animation. The courses are intense, but the professors are the cream of the croppe and classes are SMALL. The night classes for the BA program are sectioned off into 5 categories, all based on what you aim to specialize in (Animation, Film, Web Design, ect.). This ensures that you won't get stuck in the typical class of 25+ students where everyone is going to need professor time and everyone is going to have questions. And I have to say, being in a class of 5 is incredible. Having so much time to meet with my professor to have him give me guidance and instruction on how to achieve the results I'm going for is indispensable. Finally, I feel like I hit my cloud 9. But apparently for some, this wasn't the case.

You see, my class of 5 quickly turned into a class of 3. Two of our classmates decided to ditch the first day of class. In the BA program, that's grounds for automatic removal from the program unless you have a damn good excuse. Neither of the two did had an excuse or even responded for that matter. SEE YA! Next comes the 3rd kid. It's been 1 week and he's already missed 2 days of class in a row. Sure, I can understand someone who just was dead tired and couldn't make it, but he didn't even give the teacher any forewarning as to why he was going to be gone. 2 days in a row of that kind of shit is grounds for removal from the class unless you have an excuse or response of any kind for that matter. As of 9pm today, he has been removed from the class. And then there were 2, me and this other guy. Now the last student here leaves class early, missed a day of class and is on his phone texting during the entirety of the session (even when the professor is explaining shit). The professor pulled him aside and told him "Leaving early adds up as well as texting during class. If that time adds up to 3 days worth of class (12 hours), you're going to be removed from the class". He's already earned 8 hours of absence time from this.

So it's essentially just me, which is something I'm fine with. I worked with my professor nonstop yesterday and got most (if not all) of my assignment done. He went over some really top notch effects with me to make my project stand out anymore. But still, the part I enjoyed most about going to this college was being able to see what my classmates are up to. And seeing how 80% of my class got eliminated and the rest is seriously just starting his project that won't get finished on time.... I gotto ask, what are these people doing here? I can understand if this was some bullshit community college that costs 5 bucks a unit, but you're paying top dollar for these classes. That's thousands per unit. Why did you even bother wasting your time and money going to this college if all you're going to do is catch up on the latest trends on reddit or blow off class? The concepts and techniques were learning in this class are being taught by industry professionals who have or are still working in the industry on top titles. WHY are you wasting this opportunity?!

Seriously, fuck these people. I hope they get their act together, cause it's really pissing me off. At least it benefits me in the end because I get much more 1v1 training with my professor. 

Toshabi rant over.

tl;dr-

Edited by Toshabi

So I've downloaded that Yik-Yak app after my roommate was talking about how hilariously stupid the people are on it. And they were right, these kids are idiots. I'll never understand the people who just ditch classes for shits n giggles. I mean I go to a standard state university, tuition is fairly cheaper at this one than most of my state's universities, but still, it's a lot of money per unit. And I see people on this app going "lol I'm gonna skip my class and blaze up ;PPP" or "haha hey guys just starting my 10 page paper the night before it's due, no research done, wish me luck xDDD" and it's like what the fuck is wrong with these people. I'm busting my ass in my program, try to create a fantastic professional looking senior project because I love what I major in and I care about it, whereas these little shits couldn't care less about their studies. Since starting at this place, I've missed about 2 classes, one because I was sick and could not physically get out of bed without collapsing, and the other I had overslept on a really low-impact day and luckily didn't miss anything serious. Gave me anxiety out the ass to miss that class, and yet they're going out drinking and smoking instead of their class without giving two shits, like what the hell is wrong with these kids. I'm pretty sure most of them are freshman or sophomores.

But yeah, /rant.

tl;dr kids dont appreciate their ability to attend the school their at

Getting pissed off at a thing that benefits you seems like a waste of emotion.

Seems like you don't know how rants work. But it's okay, Toshabi packed a snappy comeback in his lunch today.

By them slacking, I lose:

● Collaboration Partners.

● Network Contacts.

● Review Partners.

● Possible new friends.

● Additional critique.

● A chance to see fresh/inspiring student work.

● Competition (The biggest loss)

I'm not going to lose sleep over it either way like your post made it seem like (???), but hey, it's a delicious Toshabi retort. Chew on it a bit and tell me how it tastes. Maybe you can share one of yours with the Tosh as a favor.

@Hewge @Zeitzbach Imma need the two of you in my bedroom like, right now, for rehersal.

Edited by Toshabi
  • Like 3

You were the one who said it was "pissing [you] off" and that it "benefits [you]", so if you feel misled by that I don't think I can help you there.

Hello Phoenix Forums! My name is Wolflich, and I wanted to let YOU know why you're wrong by making an argument about nothing, so that I can walk away with the self satisfaction that I might've sounded smart to somebody on the internet.

• Like 1

College/Univ isn't all about learning more about skill set.

Improvement and more 1-1 time with prof is one benefit.

But to throw away all possible connections and social contact is a much bigger loss in the end. Most of the business partner and people you work with in the future actually come from the same class as you and to have the possibility be as good as sealed far outweights the gains.

@Toshabi how about MY room.

Hello Phoenix Forums! My name is Wolflich, and I wanted to let YOU know why you're wrong by making an argument about nothing, so that I can walk away with the self satisfaction that I might've sounded smart to somebody on the internet.

What am I arguing about? I took two things you said and commented that it seemed like a waste of emotion. Then you started trying to argue against your own words that I had copied.

I can't tell if you're joking or stupid at this point.

What am I arguing about? I took two things you said and commented that it seemed like a waste of emotion. Then you started trying to argue against your own words that I had copied.

I can't tell if you're joking or stupid at this point.

Pick your battles, friendo, otherwise you're going to get a Toshabi Knuckle Sandwhich up your butthole.

Btw the fun part is that I am in the comfortable position of knowing full well that you're a DumDum McDumbypants and you're left in the awkward position between "I am looking like a total badass debating Toshabi like this" and "Good fucking GOD IM LOSING MY STREET CRED WITH EX-FAF".

Edited by Toshabi

Pick your battles, friendo, otherwise you're going to get a Toshabi Knuckle Sandwhich up your butthole.

It's hard to say if that's considered threatening or flirting here.

Btw the fun part is that I am in the comfortable position of knowing full well that you're a DumDum McDumbypants and you're left in the ackward position between "I am looking like a total badass debating Toshabi like this" and "Good fucking GOD IM LOSING MY STREET CRED WITH EX-FAF".

Still no idea what we're debating. Perhaps since you're already quite comfortable there you could take the time to explain.

I pretty much only took upper division classes at Uni so every class was only about 30 people at most.

By the end of the semester every class was narrowed down to the last 5 people, without exception.

For a while I was aghast and kind of upset that the institution of higher education had basically been reduced to a social club for hedonistic burnouts.

Nowadays the fact that so many people pay for college just to drop out makes me smile because they (or their parents :V) effectively subsidized my education

And people are calling it a drop-out crisis when the reality is that academia isn't for the dull, lazy, and unmotivated.

Unless you're a gender studies major, laaawwl

• Like 1

Is that just one of those things everyone makes fun of or is it really as pointless as it sounds?

It's widely accepted that social/human studies like psychology, liberal arts, and other similar majors are considered "a waste of a degree" because of a narrow job market.

Postmodernism is literally just "Contrarianism: The Social Movement" so yes it's pointless unless you want to pay thousands of dollars to laugh.

On the one hand that seems silly. On the other hand it seems like every other person has spent thousands of dollars on education only to be miserable and still underemployed so I guess laughing could be an improvement.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

College is not the answer for everyone. These people were forced into it by their families or society. You're lucky they dropped out instead of being disruptive and annoying.

Also, community colleges are not always cheap. Where I live, the cheapest college is still $3,000 per semester.

It's strange, that. Like, when I tried majoring in biology I get that the first few courses existed to weed out those who shouldn't be there. They were intense and hard and I fucked right the hell off to English.

But then you had people in those kinds of classes who fucked around and didn't care when the workload was way easier and a lot more fun. Hey, we're reading books and arguing for an hour! Awesome.

And FFS, I've taken electives that were basically, "show up and you'll get an A" and people still manage to flunk out of those. Bitch, all you need to do is breathe >:[

i'm an idiot who went to an expensive school, so those fucking around were wasting more than just everyone's time.

To this day I don't get it. You CHOOSE to go to college (even if it's less of a choice these days because society says so) and you CHOOSE to study what you want. Why people pick something they like and just don't show up or do the work is crazy.

I went to college and finished as fast as I could. I got a 2 year degree in 15 months, graduated while most of my old friends and acquaintances from high school were not even finished with their 2nd year. I jumped into the workforce and never looked back. School is what you make it to be. But, I am one of those who think that higher education (for certain areas) just is not needed. I feel like college has turned into a 2nd high school. Its just something you do.

Interestingly enough my high school reunion is coming up and it will be interesting to see what happened to a bunch of people.

Edited by Rukh Whitefang

It's strange, that. Like, when I tried majoring in biology I get that the first few courses existed to weed out those who shouldn't be there. They were intense and hard and I fucked right the hell off to English.

But then you had people in those kinds of classes who fucked around and didn't care when the workload was way easier and a lot more fun. Hey, we're reading books and arguing for an hour! Awesome.

And FFS, I've taken electives that were basically, "show up and you'll get an A" and people still manage to flunk out of those. Bitch, all you need to do is breathe >:[

i'm an idiot who went to an expensive school, so those fucking around were wasting more than just everyone's time.

To this day I don't get it. You CHOOSE to go to college (even if it's less of a choice these days because society says so) and you CHOOSE to study what you want. Why people pick something they like and just don't show up or do the work is crazy.

I don't think they do pick things they like. They pick things they think they like or that they think will be their ticket to a higher income bracket.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way because it's actually pretty fucking hard to dedicate years of your life to studying something you don't give a shit about just because money unless you're one of the rarer breeds of human that can delay gratification on the grand scale of several decades to a lifetime.

• Like 2

I'll be dead honest, I'm a spoiled kid with parents who paid for my college, and I failed my first year. College wasn't an option, it was an expectation. The environment was highly competitive, the subject wasn't really something I was passionate about, just the closest and most practical match. I was living in a dorm, and had trouble making friends, so I often felt isolated. You had to be extremely responsible every day and do more work (a general rule of thumb was twice as much work) outside of classes than you did in them, which was difficult for me because I don't work well outside of a working environment (I still have lots of trouble with that). And even when you completed your work and put all of your effort into it, well it didn't feel like an accomplishment, because it was an expectation. It was very stressful, especially considering the added pressure of going there because someone else was paying for it. And I hadn't learned much about responsibility because I was stubborn and never had a job before or throughout college, and I never had to live away from my parents before. Towards the end of the year I had a total breakdown and wouldn't even leave my room other than to get take out. I remember one time, a kid in my class saw me look sad, and made fun of me for it; that was sort of a breaking point for me. Of course, none of that really excuses failing college. It's not like I didn't have the money or some emergency came up. But, I guess what I'm saying is that, those no shows or those people who don't put in the effort, probably feel that same stress and pressure that I did. I always find it incredible that people like yourself manage to persevere through college, especially if they're paying for it on their own, because you're putting all of your time and effort, on a daily basis, into it for years. I can't even fathom how difficult it must be, because I have never worked that hard in my life.

Edited by SirRob

I don't think they do pick things they like. They pick things they think they like or that they think will be their ticket to a higher income bracket.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way because it's actually pretty fucking hard to dedicate years of your life to studying something you don't give a shit about just because money unless you're one of the rarer breeds of human that can delay gratification on the grand scale of several decades to a lifetime.

Right, and that makes a bit more since for Freshman and maybe Sophomores, but you take so many gen eds those years that if what you're in isn't working, you should hopefully find something that will. It's why I jumped to English. For my examples though, I'm talking juniors and seniors who made it through that far and STILL didn't give a shit. That's a lot of wasted money.

Of course, there's another, bigger problem that our world thinks every kid NEEDS to go to college which isn't really true. So many leave with miles of debt and poor job prospects.