Sup

Shill Sham

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

As you asked for questions, I will oblige, in bullet point format:

• Fantasy and sci-fi certainly are cool, any favorite works or settings?
  • What are your favorite periods or subjects of interest in history? (I'm actually a history major myself)

4 hours ago, Shill Sham said:

You know, the usual basic stuff.  Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, both Warhammer universes, Elder Scrolls, and a dabbling of random other video game stuff.  IE Killzone and Halo expanded universes.

As for history, I'm currently trying to find books about the Aztec Pantheon as of right now.  Other favorite subjects includes the Phoenician/Punic, Celtic, and Slavic peoples. Classical Europe as a whole, and military history in particular from late eighteenth century to mid twentieth century.  Unfortunately I'm heavily eurocentric as most things South of North Africa and East of Persia is a giant blank.  Only exception is Imperial Japan because of the Russo-Japanese War and World War Two.  Beyond that even my Japanese history knowledge is relatively sparse.  Thus I decided to start diving into North and South American cultures to rectify my current shortcomings.  The only era I can semi claim to be quite knowledgeable would be the two world wars, more specifically the latter.  So if you even need any help with World War Two I can list some great in-depth books.  World War Two enthusiasts are a dime a dozen, I know.

Enough rambling from me, what about you?  Favorite historical time periods or cultures?  Any era of expertise?

I'm actually pretty Eurocentric myself; my main areas of interest are Central and Eastern Europe, mostly Russia and Germany/German states from approximately 1600-1945. Military history is my primary specialty, with the Napoleonic Wars and the Russo-German War (Eastern Front of WW2) being probably the wars I do the most study on and have the greatest interest in. I have done some limited study in the history of China and South America, but my knowledge remains mostly centered on Europe.

And as to your interests in sci-fi and fantasy, I can say that I share an interest in all of those you listed except Halo and Killzone. I have a pretty ridiculous knowledge of the Star Wars EU from my teenage years, and we actually have a good number of Warhammer fans on here, so you're likely to see a lot of Warhammer talk and memes if you stick around...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Shill Sham said:

Other favorite subjects includes the Phoenician/Punic, Celtic, and Slavic peoples. Classical Europe as a whole, and military history in particular from late eighteenth century to mid twentieth century.  Unfortunately I'm heavily eurocentric as most things South of North Africa and East of Persia is a giant blank.

you sound cool already!

Kind regards,
The Caledophilic steampunk,
Caledonian

• Like 1