What's your favourite album and why?

Wax

So what's your favourite album of all time and why? Let's see the cover, too!

Mine is probably 'Home, Like Noplace Is There' by a band called the Hotelier. It's basically an emotional album about dealing with the loss of a close friend, and has forays into other, darker themes such as queerness, suicide, domestic abuse and everything else. What's so great about it is that it doesn't talk about these themes in a way that's disrespectful or cliché either. The lead vocalist basically just sings heart-on-sleeve until his voice gives out in the final track. It's got catchy melodies, too.

a1570207516_5.jpg

There are few albums I like every song off of

...here are some of my loves51iesq8idUL.jpg

1266.jpg

as for why, 

Black Market has the cool metaphorical significance and the never give up spirit in the albums music

Breaking Benjamin has the same, and we are not alone is about facing your fears and relying on others to keep you from falling

'The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place'

ExplosionsInTheSkyTheEarthIsNotAColdDeadPlace.jpg

and

'Friday Night Lights OST'

Friday-Night-Lights-1.jpg

Both albums are by 'Explosions in the Sky'.

They're my favorite because they allow me to feel emotions I haven't felt in a good while. One of the few bands that can get me to cry without the use of lyrics.

220px-Duck_Stab_Buster.jpg

Duck Stab by The Residents.

Holy shit, what an odd album. The first time I heard this album, I hated it. I thought it was the worst thing I've ever heard. However, the songs stuck in my head so I gave it another try, then another try, then another try, etc. Until I realized that I loved the album. What The Residents did is that they took everything you expect music to sound like and lit it on fire. The instrumentals sound either out of tune or from outer space. The accapellas sound like they either emerged out of the uncanny valley or like they came from an obscure children's cartoon.

EDIT: Here's an example of a song off the album:

Oh man, oh jeez, I have quite a few faves albums. 

R-7574583-1444343617-5364.jpeg.jpg

masterofreality-500-1377611131.jpg

download.jpgdownload (1).jpgprotomen-album2.jpgmaxresdefault (1).jpg

These are just...like.... The first few that spring to mind. I might spam in more. OH WAIT!!

Gorillaz_-_Demon_Days.png

I'd punch myself in the face if I forgot to include this one.  WAIT

8ab11637e4843f9fc0d26cce6776dfa2.1000x1000x1.jpg

Yeah, I'm just going to stop here for now... ahahahaha...

But yeah, these are albums that I just adore to pieces that I just absolutely cannot live without. These helped shape my mental landscape and inspire me and all that great jazz.

Superunknown by Soundgarden

1987326.jpg

By far the most technically impressive grunge album I've ever heard. Great production, composition, instrumentals, and vocals. Each song felt unique, and there were only a couple that didn't quite hit the mark.

My favorite song from the album:

Give the album a listen, especially if you're into grunge/alternative rock.

• Like 2

Time 1 by Wintersun.

This is an album that I get something new out of every time I listen to it. it's this just massive wall of sound by the end with so many instruments and melodies going on at once, and there's always something new to follow, some little thing that I hadn't heard in previous listens.

It's also fucking gorgeous. I usually dub it symphonic death metal, though the symphonic instruments are more eastern flavored than your traditional violins and flutes and the like. It makes it stand out when compared to something like Septic Flesh or Nightwish.

Lyrically, I think its' wonderful. The literal narrative is about some kind of cosmic thing falling in love with Time, though in normal metal fashion, its' all a metaphor for time flying by and our inevitable deaths. It's pretty though, and the invocation of dead, cold landscapes are both chilling and wonderful.

Plus, it has "Sons of Winter and Stars" which is my favorite song evah! Such a fucking monster of a track.

• Like 1

220px-Devo_-_Duty_Now.jpg

Duty Now For The Future by DEVO

This album is underrated as fuck, in the context of DEVO and music in general. It starts with a drab synthesizer song and leads into a fast paced drum solo. Everything that follows on this album is jump around the house fun. The album has a nice Sci-Fi feel and deals with themes of sex (Pink Pussycat), death (The Day My Baby Gave Me A Surprise), and rape (Triumph of The Will) in DEVO's sort of satirical dark humor way.

Example:

• Like 1

elo-eldorado.jpg

It's a hard choice, but I would have to go with ELO's Eldorado. It was possibly the pinnacle of Jeff Lynne's style of orchestrated prog rock with the band's instruments backed by a full classical orchestra, creating alongside the lyrics a dreamy and ethereal sound combining the best of classical and rock instrumentals.

As others are providing samples, here's the album's title track:

Hard for me to say which one I like the most, but so far:

Facelift by Alice In Chains. In my opinion their debut album was just as strong as their fan favourite Dirt. But it's AIC, all of their albums are great. Even the new ones are strong in their own regard.

j4qGBbq.jpg

If EPs count, then I think I like Jar of Flies a tad bit more, because the album just hits you so hard emotionally, and it's simply a beautiful representation of how flexible the band really was.

PHILlVX.jpg

I'm also a bit of an industrial rock fan, and the album Sonic Jihad by Snake River Conspiracy was a pleasant surprise to me. I cannot believe this band didn't take off in the charts.

PJxJZGW.jpg

I also have a soft spot for Orgy's Candyass.

bSa95LO.jpg

Glitch Mob's Drink the Sea. Not only are the tracks some of my favorite, but I find something special about the art. Maybe a bit of nostalgia or something.

drink the sea.jpg

Glitch Mob's Drink the Sea. Not only are the tracks some of my favorite, but I find something special about the art. Maybe a bit of nostalgia or something.