I brought a friend/associate...!

Kleric

Hello!

I'm not new, but my friend Hunter (@Crow) is. He's not a furry, or a scalie... or anything like that. He just needs some kind of community to be around, so I dragged him here.

He is also the man who had the idea to dawn me with the title "bookshelf", so now you know where that came from.

Welcome! :)

• Like 2

Hi,

Kleric thinks I need to talk to more people, so I'm visiting your furry commune. I enjoy animals and am currently writing an extensive thesis on the topic of anthropomorphic animal characters in Disney films. I was also recently coerced into a relationship with a girl from North Africa, who would like me to convert to Islam.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

10 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Well hello there, Crow! Welcome to Phoenixed! What sort of stuff are you into? Do any gaming or maybe reading?

Hey, I've been playing a lot of Nintendo 3DS games lately, Phoenix Wright, Luigi's Mansion, and Stella Glo to name a few. I don't play my PS4 as much lately but I'm going to start Final Fantasy XV sometime this year. As for reading, I enjoy poetry and science fiction novels, William Gibson and Philip K Dick are two particular favorite authors. I also try to write comic scripts and poetry in my free time.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Crow said:

@FenrirDarkWolf I didn't know that the bookshelf label would last the way that it has but you're welcome to it. Should I expect a lot of animal puns here?

The original trilogy of Ace Attorney games will always be some of my favorites for any system.

Why would you expect anything less from a furry forum?

I must agree, I do love the original trilogy, though SoJ, despite it being increasingly out there, I really enjoyed it, especially Cases 2 and 4 (as I'm honestly a little tired with Phoenix's character and want his subordinates more spotlight). I did enjoy DD, but I, like many others, felt that the many theme wasn't shown good enough.

4 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Why would you expect anything less from a furry forum?

I must agree, I do love the original trilogy, though SoJ, despite it being increasingly out there, I really enjoyed it, especially Cases 2 and 4 (as I'm honestly a little tired with Phoenix's character and want his subordinates more spotlight). I did enjoy DD, but I, like many others, felt that the many theme wasn't shown good enough.

I actually started the series with DD and really enjoyed it. Fulbright was a fantastic character. I'm only on the second case of SoJ, and it's had its moment so far. I'll always miss Detective Gumshoe, though. He was truly the heart and soul of that series.

36 minutes ago, Crow said:

I actually started the series with DD and really enjoyed it. Fulbright was a fantastic character. I'm only on the second case of SoJ, and it's had its moment so far. I'll always miss Detective Gumshoe, though. He was truly the heart and soul of that series.

Spoilers but not really; They reference him a lot, more than they referenced Ema in DD. Perhaps he'll make a comeback in the next game? It's not like they have a whole slew of detectives to choose from, Ema and him, considering Fulbright's... status.

19 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Spoilers but not really; They reference him a lot, more than they referenced Ema in DD. Perhaps he'll make a comeback in the next game? It's not like they have a whole slew of detectives to choose from, Ema and him, considering Fulbright's... status.

I was hoping for a full appearance in one of these sequels, but I'll settle for mentions for now. Ema just isn't the same, even if she does her best.

12 minutes ago, Jtrekkie said:

Jim Crow. Excellent choice.

Welcome to the forums, Hunter. I hope to see you around. We have a lot of artsy people around here, and you may have already noticed the is a section dedicated to the literary arts (writers bloc). Other than that, poke around and have fun!

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to take a look.

• Like 1

Hey there, and welcome! I also am a big fan of Phillip K. Dick, especially the middle period, books like Ubik, Flow My Tears the Policeman Said, Maze of Death, Through a Scanner Darkly.

I was an English major, lit and writing, but always found it hard to fins sci-fi I really loved. There is some, to be sure, but it often seem tangential (Margaret Atwood), or else very early, such as H.G. Wells. (And I'm fond of earlier 'expressionist' writers: Gustav Meyrink, Kafka)

Maybe it's that it seems hard to find sci-fi that melds a unique/elegant/defined enough prose style? It is hard to say, but a field I like, but am not sure where to explore further, after many years. I have liked J. G Ballard, and some things that are in the realm of the fantastic. People suggest LeGiun, maybe I'll give her a try. Based on all this, what might you suggest?

Huh...so you also write poetry? Same here, narrative free form.

Well, just wanted to say hi, and welcome, sorry the rambling literary turn, there!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fossa-Boy said:

Hey there, and welcome! I also am a big fan of Phillip K. Dick, especially the middle period, books like Ubik, Flow My Tears the Policeman Said, Maze of Death, Through a Scanner Darkly.

I was an English major, lit and writing, but always found it hard to fins sci-fi I really loved. There is some, to be sure, but it often seem tangential (Margaret Atwood), or else very early, such as H.G. Wells. (And I'm fond of earlier 'expressionist' writers: Gustav Meyrink, Kafka)

Maybe it's that it seems hard to find sci-fi that melds a unique/elegant/defined enough prose style? It is hard to say, but a field I like, but am not sure where to explore further, after many years. I have liked J. G Ballard, and some things that are in the realm of the fantastic. People suggest LeGiun, maybe I'll give her a try. Based on all this, what might you suggest?

Huh...so you also write poetry? Same here, narrative free form.

Well, just wanted to say hi, and welcome, sorry the rambling literary turn, there!

I tend to gravitate more toward dense prose full of technical language and vivid description, partially because of my early experience with William Gibson, who I would recommend to any fan of science fiction. If that's something that would appeal to you I would also suggest Richard K Morgan's book Altered Carbon, which won the triple crown of sci fi awards. I've really been moving toward more contemporary authors as I've been reading more and more of the genre. Oh yes, there's also a book by a Chinese author named Cixin Liu, that's called The Three Body Problem, which I would also very strongly recommend. The translation is very good and hopefully will meet your standards for unique prose. 

And yes, I haven't been keeping up with the poetry writing lately. Just too focused on reading. I'm currently working through a fantasy novel by Ken Liu called The Grace of Kings. If you like fantasy I can recommend that and The Steel Remains, also by Richard K Morgan, which is one of the more unique works in that genre I've gotten around to. Now I guess I should be apologizing for the excessive recommendations.