Goodyear Has Lost Their Mind

Silo

Maybe I'm too late with this post - there is about a year gap between when this video was released and now.

So Goodyear had decided to make a spherical wheel in the hopes of revolutionizing the car industry and making cars user-friendly:

Not only does it look ridiculous, but the design seems to be overly-ambitious - so much so that they would have to deflate it to increase the size of the contact surface (it's filled with oversights).

So what do you guys think about this "tire"? Should we experiment with this or should we cast it off into the shadow realm?

On 3/2/2017 at 11:09 PM, Jerry said:

Meh, people will grow TIREd of this concept eventually.

Oops.

... Leave.

On 3/2/2017 at 11:23 PM, Rukh Whitefang said:

The tire industry has been making prototype tires for years now. Different compounds and shapes are nothing new. Michelin has been working on an airless tire for awhile now. I believe its in production for atvs thats a tire/rim combo.

Surprising. I've never heard of an airless tire. Is it made purely of rubber or some strange, obscure material? 

They don't need to reinvent the wheel.

25 minutes ago, Silo said:

... Leave.

Surprising. I've never heard of an airless tire. Is it made purely of rubber or some strange, obscure material? 

They don't need to reinvent the wheel.

No, its actually really cool. Huge potential. No more flat tires for lawn mowers, no putting tubes in tires. Downside, as far as I am aware its a tire/rim combo. Cannot separate them. http://www.michelintweel.com/

ht_tweel_michelin_tire_2_jc_141119_4x3_992.jpg

• Like 1

My favorite part is where the car rolls sideways to park.

That being said, incredibly sophisticated technology would be required to spin and otherwise maneuver those things. Not only would it need powerful magnets for levitation, but for making any kind of acceleration including turns. I see crazy vectors cancelling each other out and requiring yet more power to overcome basic things like inertia. Even maglev trains are an impressive engineering feat, and they just move forward and back.

• 3 weeks later...

I really love the globe shaped wheel idea. Then, I could make cars that looked like crabs that could move just as easily in any direction! That would also be a wonderful feature for those ill at ease with parallel parking. Bring on the round wheels!