Syrian civil war

Saxon

Syria was in the middle of some business interests wanting to build a gas pipeline from Qatar to Europe, but with gas prices as low as they are it doesn't make much economic sense now.

Since the US government warned the Russians about the attack beforehand, it's possible that this whole missile strike was simply a PR exercise.

If the US gov intends to follow up this attack with something more substantial, they will have a somewhat harder time as the Russians and Syrians are on high alert now and are further strengthening their air defense. The agreement for US and Russian planes not to engage each other has also been dropped.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Syria was in the middle of some business interests wanting to build a gas pipeline from Qatar to Europe, but with gas prices as low as they are it doesn't make much economic sense now.

Since the US government warned the Russians about the attack beforehand, it's possible that this whole missile strike was simply a PR exercise.

If the US gov intends to follow up this attack with something more substantial, they will have a somewhat harder time as the Russians and Syrians are on high alert now and are further strengthening their air defense. The agreement for US and Russian planes not to engage each other has also been dropped.

I think the US was obliged to warn Russia as part of their joint mission in Syria agreements. Otherwise Russia would have ended all cooperation with the USA in Syria.

As you mentioned, air cooperating is now over, but Russia has kept channels of communication for future cooperation open.

I wonder whether the US will follow this strike up, because the Whitehouse has been indicating that this was a 'one off' in response to chemical weapon use...what are they going to do when Assad uses chemical weapons again as he inevitably will, though?

7 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

I'm not so sure it was Assad, who used them. He's the one who gains the least and loses the most from such attack.

The World Health Organisation reported that the victims' symptoms were consistent with the chemical weapon being a banned nerve agent that was known to be in the Syrian government's chemical weapon stockpile. (a stockpile they claimed to have destroyed).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/russia-blames-syrian-rebels-for-devastating-chemical-attack-in-northern-town/2017/04/05/ba173c76-196a-11e7-8598-9a99da559f9e_story.html?utm_term=.5a912001a2b4

All but 1 of the other chemical weapons attacks in Syria so far have been attributed to the Syrian regime, by evidence such as chemical hallmarks that demonstrated the weapons' chemical agents came from previously known regime stockpiles. The single exception was a mustard gas attack undertaken by the Islamic state.

In short, the world has known that Assad has been doing this for years now, so it is no surprise that he has done it again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Therapy Sergal said:

And he's doing it, knowing very well that USA needs just one reason (even half of a reason) to bury his positions in explosive taxpayer's money ?

Then those are signs of early dementia and he indeed requires a forced retirement.

The missile strike hit an evacuated airbase due to the advance notice they were given. The airbase is now, reportedly, operational once again, with reports of aircraft lifting off from it. From a pargmatic standpoint, the strike alone realistically accomplished very little, apart from costing taxpayers $100 million.

But, the thing is, the US media didn't care about that, right? The moment those missiles flew, MSNBC did a piece about the "beauty of the tomahawk". CNN did a piece comparing tomahawk missiles to basketball. Fox News did a piece proudly declaring "AMERICA IS BACK, BABY!" Launching missiles at Bad Guys didn't pragmatically accomplish much, but it has appeared to improve his image in the media. So I'd say it was less dementia and more just a $100 million dollar face lift, but who knows.

vvv oops, sorry about that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kazooie said:

The missile strike hit an evacuated airbase due to the advance notice they were given. The airbase is now, reportedly, operational once again, with reports of aircraft lifting off from it. From a pargmatic standpoint, the strike alone realistically accomplished very little, apart from costing taxpayers $100 million.

But, the thing is, the US media didn't care about that, right? The moment those missiles flew, MSNBC did a piece about the "beauty of the tomahawk". CNN did a piece comparing tomahawk missiles to basketball. Fox News did a piece proudly declaring "AMERICA IS BACK, BABY!" Launching missiles at Bad Guys didn't pragmatically accomplish much, but it has appeared to improve his image in the media. So I'd say it was less dementia and more just a $100 million dollar face lift, but who knows.

I think Therapy sergal was talking about Assad when they said 'And he's doing it'.

25 minutes ago, Zerig said:

why do you people still not get it

Assad did nothing wrong, this conflict, and ISIS as well, are a Zionist plot to destabalize the Middle East to make way for greater Israel

greater_israel.jpg.5dbde8eb17849ee23c95c2b06f3889d7.jpg

Personally my favourite thing about this image is that it took the time to draw out a border and then it's just a nice straight line through Saudi Arabia. Beautiful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kazooie said:

vvv oops, sorry about that

It's like they're weaving a story of redemption:

"The roguish ostensibly anti-establishment loudmouth who was definitely a pawn of Putin all of a sudden struck back against the evildoers! Look, he was a man of the people and force of good after all! He'll surely clean up the mess both home and abroad and make things right, one tomahawk at a time."

Talk about managing the public.

• Like 1

Basically, the Middle East is very largely sand,
With some arbitrary dotted lines dividing up the land,
There's nothing much to do there, so every night at nine,
They all sneak out with pointy sticks and move the dotted line!

- Grant Baynham - the Middle East Song

• Like 1

On 4/9/2017 at 11:42 PM, Zerig said:

why do you people still not get it

Assad did nothing wrong, this conflict, and ISIS as well, are a Zionist plot to destabalize the Middle East to make way for greater Israel

greater_israel.jpg.5dbde8eb17849ee23c95c2b06f3889d7.jpg

You're starting to sound like these self-declared communists I know. They say Assad is innocent and the evil capitalist imperialists started the war to build a pipeline through Syria. For oil, of course. And evil greed and capitalism.

What do you have against Greater Israel and Capitalism?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crazy Lee said:

You're starting to sound like these self-declared communists I know. They say Assad is innocent and the evil capitalist imperialists started the war to build a pipeline through Syria. For oil, of course. And evil greed and capitalism.

What do you have against Greater Israel and Capitalism?

I suppose as long as you're on the winning team (eg Australia, USA, New Zealand, NATO, etc) it doesn't matter.

If overthrowing governments, bombing civilians, arming "moderate" terrorist groups and selectively condemning certain countries actions while ignoring those of your allies is what it takes for the winning team to keep living large than so be it.

PS I'm in Australia, yay ^___^