Read any good Furry books lately?

Summercat

Yes!  The Furry Future is an anthology of 15 short ScFi furry stories, and one hell of a good read. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SU5YBZM/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

10,000 miles up by Rick Griffin is also a damn fine read.....and the prequel Skeleton Crew is too!  Highly recommended, available in Kindle format for free or only a few loonies.

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Thousand-Miles-Rick-Griffin-ebook/dp/B007PUXGZY

Edited by Irreverent

Yes!  The Furry Future is an anthology of 15 short ScFi furry stories, and one hell of a good read. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SU5YBZM/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

10,000 miles up by Rick Griffin is also a damn fine read.....and the prequel Skeleton Crew is too!  Highly recommended, available in Kindle format for free or only a few loonies.

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Thousand-Miles-Rick-Griffin-ebook/dp/B007PUXGZY

Oh! I read one of his stories. It involved robots and cybernetics with a lemon twist. 

I think the only 'furry' book I've ever read was something called Emperors of the Twilight, and that was back in the late 90s so I don't remember much of it. I don't know if it quite counts though because the animals were uplifted and there were still humans around.

It seemed okay at the time but I was like 10 or 12.

Blub... Glub...

I read the Bass Pro catalog. It was pretty good. 

You're lucky fish don't have FBI watchlists.

I think the only 'furry' book I've ever read was something called Emperors of the Twilight, and that was back in the late 90s so I don't remember much of it. I don't know if it quite counts though because the animals were uplifted and there were still humans around.

It seemed okay at the time but I was like 10 or 12.

You're lucky fish don't have FBI watchlists.

Emperors of Twlight... they were called Moraeus, yes? I think I've read that book. Has a Tiger dude as the main character, he's a PI?

Emperors of Twlight... they were called Moraeus, yes? I think I've read that book. Has a Tiger dude as the main character, he's a PI?

'Moreau' (as in Dr.) but yes. I don't think he was the main character in that one but I seem to recall he was in it. It was part of a series though and I only found that one book.

Actually I suppose in a sense I could count The Island of Doctor Moreau as the other furry book I've read.

'Moreau' (as in Dr.) but yes. I don't think he was the main character in that one but I seem to recall he was in it. It was part of a series though and I only found that one book.

Actually I suppose in a sense I could count The Island of Doctor Moreau as the other furry book I've read.

Shoot! Emperors of Twilight followed a Franken female who has a lesbian scene, doesn't it?

I don't read a lot of furry literature but I've generally enjoyed everything that I've read by Kyell Gold.

If you're really interested in furry lit you might be interested in Fangs and Fonts, a podcast about exactly that. One of the hosts is FAF alumni and also a good buddy so you should def check it ouuuuut

There's a lot of great stuff being published right now that's taking some more serious, literary explorations of anthropomorphics. 

The venerable Fred Patten published an enormous reading list recently: http://furrywritersguild.com/2015/10/02/fred-patten-presents-his-articles-about-furry-publishing-animation-and-history/

Personally, my recommendation is "Abandoned Places", a horror anthology edited by Tarl "Voice" Hoch, which you can buy here: http://furplanet.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=756 -- It won a Coyotl award this year!

Other great short fiction of note that's fairly recent:

"Jackalope Wives" by Ursula Vernon, for which she won a Nebula award.

"Will of the Alpha" if you like some kinky smut in your life.

"The Bees" by Laline Paull is GREAT.

"The Cold Moons" by Aeron Clement is also great, and heartbreaking.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't consider anything in the Redwall series "furry" because it wasn't intended for our subhuman little culture, but talking animals is talking animals and I have been rereading some of them lately. It's been awhile since I took a stroll back through Salamandastron and Redwall Abby, and I've found that I've missed both places quite dearly. God those books were a HUGE part of my childhood.

They still hold up too, well, kinda. Nostalgia helps.

I don't consider anything in the Redwall series "furry" because it wasn't intended for our subhuman little culture, but talking animals is talking animals and I have been rereading some of them lately. It's been awhile since I took a stroll back through Salamandastron and Redwall Abby, and I've found that I've missed both places quite dearly. God those books were a HUGE part of my childhood.

They still hold up too, well, kinda. Nostalgia helps.

Redwall was quite instrumental for my furry development, heh. I've gotten into some of the books on tape recently. It's good to have on the background. Brain Jacques' accent takes some getting used to (especially for a Yank like me), but the full-cast stuff is pretty great. Just a well-crafted world that, while formulaic, doesn't pull many punches and is still enjoyable if you like fuzzy things maiming each other.

mZy8kvHb3d6E1zwz6HdTPw.jpg

This book is awesome, I recommend it to all who ask for a good read.

It helped shape my writing style and way I think about Ferals and how anthros might see a world

================

Plot

"Copper, a bloodhound crossbred, was once the favorite among his Master's pack of hunting dogs in a rural country area. However, he now feels threatened by Chief, a younger, faster Black and Tan Coonhound. Copper hates Chief, who is taking Copper's place as pack leader. During a bear hunt, Chief protects the Master when the bear turns on him, while Copper is too afraid of the bear to confront him. The Master ignores Copper to heap praise on Chief and Copper's hatred and jealousy grow.

Tod is a red fox kit, raised as a pet by one of the human hunters who killed his mother and litter mates. Tod initially enjoys his life, but when he reaches sexual maturity he returns to the wild. During his first year, he begins establishing his territory, and learns evasion techniques from being hunted by local farm dogs. One day, he comes across the Master's house and discovers that his presence sends the chained pack of dogs into a frustrated frenzy. He begins to delight in taunting them, until one day when Chief breaks his chain and chases him. The Master sees the dog escape and follows with Copper. As Chief skillfully trails the fox, Tod flees along a railroad track while a train is approaching, waiting to jump to safety until the last minute. Chief is killed by the train.

With Chief buried and Master crying over a dead dog he trains Copper to ignore all foxes except for Tod. Over the span of the two animals' lives, man and dog hunt the fox, the Master using over a dozen hunting techniques in his quest for revenge. With each hunt, both dog and fox learn new tricks and methods to outsmart each other, Tod always escaping in the end. Tod mates with an older, experienced vixen who gives birth to a litter of kits. Before they are grown, the Master finds the den and gasses the kits to death. That winter, the Master sets out leg hold traps, which Tod carefully learns how to spring, but the vixen is caught and killed. In January, Tod takes a new mate, with whom he has another litter of kits. The Master uses a "still hunting" technique, in which he sits very quietly in the wood while playing a rabbit call to draw out the foxes. With this method, he kills the kits; then by using the sound of a wounded fox kit, he is also able to draw out and kill Tod's mate"

Edited by Charrio

• 7 months later...

The Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson is pretty good if you like ww2 alt-history type things involving a destroyer getting sucked into a dimension of lemurcat people and talking lizards.

Addendum: The Sholan Alliance books are also a guilty pleasure of mine.

Edited by LadyRadarEars