Tattoos and you! (a Q&A)

Pinkuh

Does it hurt as much as everyone says it does? Or do you not know that.

It varies from person to person, The thing I compare it to is dragging a hot wire across your skin... or sitting on the metal part of the seat belt that's been in a hot car all day. It's pain but it shouldn't be deep, it's very surface. And it doesn't last. the artist usually draws a line and lifts, and shades an area, and lifts. There are tiny little breaks between, and the second that the needles leave the skin it feels like a sun burn.

I want to get a decently sized pair of wing tattoos on my back (shoulderblades down to waist)...would that be expensive, I imagine in the hundred(s?), and would be time consuming. Wouldnt it be kind of creepy though? Always been iffy on getting tatted shirtless, But Im sure tattoo artists want to keep their jobs and do body art, not be creeps.

it would also be my first idea for a tattoo, but maybe for a first I should try something smaller instead?

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

How often do they need to be touched up?
How hard is it to find a decent artist who can do animals?

The touching up depends on two things, you (Primarily) and the artist (Secondary)

A tattoo is inserting ink pieces (I say pieces because that's what they are) into the skin, that are just large enough that the bodies immune response can't break them down or take them away. If an ink particle is to small the body's white cells will envelop it, and take it to the kidneys to be flushed out as waste.

Sunlight will break these particles down into smaller and smaller pieces. So keeping sunscreen on your tattoos when you are out and about is a must. This is the biggest issues with tattoos that need touched up. People come in all the time who go out into the sun without sunscreen and within about 2 years it looks like the tattoo is 15 years old. (This is also how laser tattoo removal works... it breaks apart the pieces of ink into White blood cell sized chunks so the body can just cart it away)

Second issue for touchups and you is when you get a cut, or a scab in the tattoo itself. If you do, don't pick at the scabs. Most of the time they will heal over and your tattoo will be intact! If not, that's when you go in for a touchup.

Also keeping up with skin maintenance is key as well, use a nice lotion, or body oil to keep your skin moist around your tattoo, especially if you are in a dry environment, or a cold environment. Bathe yourself often to keep your skin in pristine condition! The better you take care of your body, the longer the tattoo will last!

If you get a shady artist who overworks your skin, there will be tons of scabbing, and/or scaring. When that happens, touching up is a must (so is finding a new artist! Do your homework! Find someone thats right the first time and this wont happen!). When you are healing a tattoo, the goal is to have it not scab at all, and if it does scab, only in tiny little places.

When it does scab you need to remember not to pick them. They should fall off on their own with gentle washing over time. If any ink is lifted from them from there, then you can get it touched up.

As to finding an artist who can do animals? Research, research, research. Go from shop to shop to shop looking at portfolios. The best animal tattoo artist I know of is Sean Karn http://seankarn.com/gallery-2/animaltattoos/  Keep in mind that if you want a good tattoo you will pay for it. Some artists call for 300-400 an hour for their work, so make sure to RESEARCH and look! Also don't be afraid to ask questions! And don't be afraid to travel if you want the best!

• Like 1

How difficult would a tattoo like this be?

index.jpg

From an artist standpoint very! Straight lines on skin is difficult! (moving target, curved surfaces, and straight lines... fun times) However if you find someone that is competent this kinda thing shouldn't be an issue (We will just grumble about the straightness of everything)

• Like 1

And what about something of this caliber?

With something like that, it would be a lot easier to actually put on skin... however it would take a lot longer with how large it would have to be. With things like that you need to make sure that the size of the piece and the location of the piece is a good match. If you want say... a 4 inch render of that cover... We would probably laugh you out of the shop. The way your skin acts, the bigger a piece is, the better it is likely to look! Over time, all tattoos spread, and if you have a large area, that spread will be less apparent, and you won't loose details.

• Like 1

I don't have any tattoos but have been thinking about getting one.  I think the first will be somewhere where it will be discreet for work purposes.  Then maybe a Mike Tyson job later.

YES! Keeping in mind about your job is key! There is a very small amount of population that can pull off tattoos outside of "Work safe" areas, keep in mind your career and what you want to do for the rest of your life... A hand tattoo or a neck tattoo can and will be the death sentence of a career (We wont even address faces because lets face it faces should never have tattoos unless you are a tattoo artist and even then it's questionable)

I want to get a decently sized pair of wing tattoos on my back (shoulderblades down to waist)...would that be expensive, I imagine in the hundred(s?), and would be time consuming. Wouldnt it be kind of creepy though? Always been iffy on getting tatted shirtless, But Im sure tattoo artists want to keep their jobs and do body art, not be creeps.

it would also be my first idea for a tattoo, but maybe for a first I should try something smaller instead?

In my experience I was afraid to get even one tattoo because "ZOMG IT'S THERE FOREVER". And ya know what? I loved that little thing. So I personally think that getting a small one you can forget about easily is a good place to start because you can gauge how you really feel about having something on you you can't remove.

Does it hurt as much as everyone says it does? Or do you not know that.

It feels like getting stabbed with a vibrating sex toy over and over.

• Like 1

A smaller tattoo may be a good idea unless you don't have something small that you would be willing to live with for the rest of your life.

Getting a set of wings is expensive. For me I know it would take me roughly 6 hours per wing if not more (depending on the detail), and you are looking at 100 per hour at least, so you are going to drop 1,200 on that at the very least.

As tattoo artists we see a lot of body parts, we are not strangers to boobs, butt, dicks, and so on. However there are creepers out there, so whoever you wind up going to, make sure you are absolutely comfortable, and you bring a friend. Most tattoo artists are able to close off their room to some extent, so be sure to let them know that you want it to be more private if you are shy.

HOWEVER there is this awesome cheat... Bring a hoodie... a zip up hoodie. Wear that thing backwards with the zipper open. Instant cover for your modesty, and allows us access! Also tattoo rooms are cold so hoodies are nice to have there in general.

I've wanted a big dragon on my lower back for 8 years. But... I've gone through hundreds and hundreds of designs and seen nothing I remotely like, or any collection of ideas that I could see melded together into something I like.

And then I saw these wings in a flash book at the place I got my first tattoo done......

They began soft and feathery like an angel, and as they descended they became bony and fleshy and spiky like a devil. They were PERFECT. Saying that though, I do love normal angel wings. So.... I wonder whether I should abandon my search for the perfect dragon tattoo and invest myself in angel wings instead. I'm much more enthusiastic about them. I'd be very happy with a cute little pair that only really sat on my upper back, too.

I've wanted a big dragon on my lower back for 8 years. But... I've gone through hundreds and hundreds of designs and seen nothing I remotely like, or any collection of ideas that I could see melded together into something I like.

And then I saw these wings in a flash book at the place I got my first tattoo done......

They began soft and feathery like an angel, and as they descended they became bony and fleshy and spiky like a devil. They were PERFECT. Saying that though, I do love normal angel wings. So.... I wonder whether I should abandon my search for the perfect dragon tattoo and invest myself in angel wings instead. I'm much more enthusiastic about them. I'd be very happy with a cute little pair that only really sat on my upper back, too.

One thing to be careful of, If it's up on the wall, or it's on the net somewhere... someone already has it... most likely hundreds of someones...

Go to an artist and have them design something for you specifically that way you can get something that is both totally you, and totally unique! And don't be afraid to say no!

A smaller tattoo may be a good idea unless you don't have something small that you would be willing to live with for the rest of your life.

Getting a set of wings is expensive. For me I know it would take me roughly 6 hours per wing if not more (depending on the detail), and you are looking at 100 per hour at least, so you are going to drop 1,200 on that at the very least.

As tattoo artists we see a lot of body parts, we are not strangers to boobs, butt, dicks, and so on. However there are creepers out there, so whoever you wind up going to, make sure you are absolutely comfortable, and you bring a friend. Most tattoo artists are able to close off their room to some extent, so be sure to let them know that you want it to be more private if you are shy.

HOWEVER there is this awesome cheat... Bring a hoodie... a zip up hoodie. Wear that thing backwards with the zipper open. Instant cover for your modesty, and allows us access! Also tattoo rooms are cold so hoodies are nice to have there in general.

Thank you, that's pretty good info right there. I do have other ideas so if that's the case I'll go with a smaller, less expensive one. 

The hoodie idea is also a neat trick I hadnt thought of. Thanks. That's also a bit pricey, so I may think of downsizing. And as for detail, I didnt want to be too complex but also still have enough detail to look like it. I dont know. Simplified but somewhat anatomically correct in being folded. That'll still be a bit of a price, I imagine. 

Guess I'll start with simple logo or generic smaller images (dragonflies, dragons, wolf...etc). Point is, I have ideas though, so I'd know I'd have other things to start with. But I'm not going to tatted up all over the place either.

And what of other kinds of tattoos? I hear of B+W as well as watercolor, blacklight, white ink (really interesting since it looks like scarification without the cutting).

Would you go to specific artists for those, because I assume not all of them dabble in specific types of tattooing.

Another question...sorry interesting topic x3 What about specific design types; such as tribal, celtic...are there any other kinds?

Edited by WolfNightV4X1

Types of tattooing I know of.... probably gonna copy this to the main topic xD

Color: Describes any color style of tattoo

Black and grey: Describes any type of tattoo that does not have color

Traditional: Style of tattooing made Famous in the ports. Sailor Jerry, Navy, simple styles with simple colors. Bold blacks, Reds, Greens, ect.

Neo-traditional: Very close to Traditional, but with modern twists. Smooth blends, more graphic shapes, Subject matter outside the relm of traditional "Traditional"

Tribal: Simple shape tattoos that are either ethnic in origin, or whimsical... made to flow around the body

Japanese (Irezumi): Any sort of Japanese designs that would be at home on a yakuza member

Neo-japanese: Japanese style tattoos using current color palates and more painterly approach

New School: Newer style of tattooing, Big bold colors, smooth blends, goofy exaggeration

Realism: Any type of realistic tattoo.

Portrait: A very specific image of a face tattoo.

Horror: is as it sounds, super realistic horror tattoos

Polynesian: Describes the style of tribal tattoo that involves items and aesthetics of the island nations of the pacific (this can further be broken down into Hawaiian, Samoan, Maqusian, Maori, Filipino, ect... most artists wont know this unless they are specifically from these areas or specialize in Polynesian tattoos.)

Celtic: Celtic style tattooing most commonly associated with knot work of the British isles.

Nordic: Very close to Celtic, but with the Nordic twist, mostly associated with the northern European aesthetics.

Dotwork: A stippling technique made to create shading using only black.

Trash polka: A more recent development out of eastern Europe, associated with very graphic looking shaped pieces and noise.

Bio-organic: Organic looking shapes and monstrocities that flow with body shape, think H.R. Giger.

Bio-Mechanical: Following the Bio-organic Aesthetic but more robotic. Wires, metal, u-joints, ect.

Lettering: Lettering.... nothing more then that.

Black work: tattoos including Mandalas that only use black line-work to create the tattoos.

Geometric tattoos: Tattoos involving geometric shapes and shades

Stick and poke: one needle hand tattooing

Watercolor: Tattoo with bold lines, and washy shading made to mimic the flow of wet water color paint

Sketch work: Tattoos that use the unfinished "Sketch" Aesthetic to create the tattoos

White ink tattoos: Seriously? Just don't get these, they fail and look bad

Blacklight tattoos: Much like white ink tattoos... they don't last and fade quick... just don't bother unless you are really into upkeep

There are probably some I have missed! But those are the styles as they stand now!

Edited by Pinkuh
  • Like 1

One thing to be careful of, If it's up on the wall, or it's on the net somewhere... someone already has it... most likely hundreds of someones...

Go to an artist and have them design something for you specifically that way you can get something that is both totally you, and totally unique! And don't be afraid to say no!

Oh that would be fine. Neither of my current two are at all original. I know of 2 people in my own life who have the exact same one as me!

Is there anything you should look out for when choosing a tattoo artist? Whether that be something good to look for like awards or perhaps giveaways that they might be dodgy.

First off make sure they're not a dick. Nothing sucks worse than spending hours with a douchebag as he drills into your skin.

As soon as you walk in, look around at their art. Ask to see a book of their work, whether it be paper sketches or pictures of finished images on skin.

It always helps to get to know your artist, their strengths, and their style.

• Like 1

When I was working, a co-worker came in with a new cover-up on her arm. I fell in love with the quality of the work. I just asked "who and where?", and went down that afternoon after work to book myself in.

Never looked back, the guy is simply brilliant. Hurt like hell though, at times I thought I was gonna be sick from the pain >.<

Is there anything you should look out for when choosing a tattoo artist? Whether that be something good to look for like awards or perhaps giveaways that they might be dodgy.

Look at their portfolio. If they don't have one, run away. A portfolio is everything. Also look at the shop and their work areas... if it isn't clean... RUN AWAY

• Like 2