Final Fantasy

aeroxwolf

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/final-fantasy-character-lightning-on-starring-in-louis-vuitton-c/

Lightning  got interviewed for her new role as model. Lol. 

Her answer to one question was interesting tho. Does this indicate she might be appearing in final fantasy 7 remake?  That's prolly just me but "world of strife" could be interpreted as a lot of things.

What are your upcoming projects?

I’m currently winding down after a long journey. My days are peaceful; it’s what I’ve always dreamed of. I hope these days last a long time.

But I’m always looking to push myself, to better myself. Sometimes I get the urge to put my life on the line again and test my limits.

One day, not so far in the future, I will be out there again, in a world of strife. But I won’t be the same person I was before. I will return to my origins, like a Mobius strip, but it’ll be a new me, one who has evolved.

I look forward to the day we meet again.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2016 at 3:06 PM, yell0wf0x said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/final-fantasy-character-lightning-on-starring-in-louis-vuitton-c/

Lightning  got interviewed for her new role as model. Lol. 

Her answer to one question was interesting tho. Does this indicate she might be appearing in final fantasy 7 remake?  That's prolly just me but "world of strife" could be interpreted as a lot of things.

What are your upcoming projects?

I’m currently winding down after a long journey. My days are peaceful; it’s what I’ve always dreamed of. I hope these days last a long time.

But I’m always looking to push myself, to better myself. Sometimes I get the urge to put my life on the line again and test my limits.

One day, not so far in the future, I will be out there again, in a world of strife. But I won’t be the same person I was before. I will return to my origins, like a Mobius strip, but it’ll be a new me, one who has evolved.

I look forward to the day we meet again.

I wouldn't be surprised if she did cameo In some fashion though you can bet the "fans" will bitch and moan about it.

Edited by Naesaki

• 1 month later...

This

1771408_0.jpg

Fucking

vlcsnap-2014-09-18-05h30m01s130.png?w=13

Car

Regalia_concept_art_thumb.jpg

If I hadn't already played the game and loved what I got my hands on, I'd buy it strictly just to drive this Audi R8/Bugatti lovechild. I was watching a stream and it even has a hard top that converts when you get out. I've never seen that in a game honest. It's so detailed and luxurious. I love it.

But overall, this game's cool minus the low framerate. But I can't wait for it. (And FF7R).

Apparently Audi is actually making some sort of Regalia of their own?

>Logitech controller

PC version confirmed?

17 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

If I hadn't already played the game and loved what I got my hands on, I'd buy it strictly just to drive this Audi R8/Bugatti lovechild. I was watching a stream and it even has a hard top that converts when you get out. I've never seen that in a game honest. It's so detailed and luxurious. I love it.

Yeah, the car animation is really detailed. Its incredible how much stuff moves just for getting in and out of the car.

EDIT: All this stuff was accurately leaked. Yep, PC version confirmed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/4btqnh/ffxv_new_info/

Edited by Battlechili

If there's a PC version, I'm fucked. This game is TOO beautiful to run smoothly on a shit tier 7850.

EDIT: Well...I need a PS4 or XBone anyway. So I'll need to shell out money for the hardware regardless. Not that big a deal really.

Edited by XoPachi

PC CONFIRMED

http://www.gamestop.com/

56fcb27c8b002_pcconfirmed.thumb.png.a469

Make sure to disable ad-blocker to see it

EDIT: I don't get why Square Enix is so intent on hiding it though. Why don't they just come out and say it instead of making vague statements and forcing people to find these via leaks and other accidental slip-ups?

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 1

Square Enix absolutely loves to troll their fans honestly. It's been pissing people the fuck off for years. Even me and I haven't ever even cared about their franchises since the announcement of FF15. I just think it's stupid. They'll have Kingdom Hearts 3 trailers that they show to exclusive groups at ultra specific times and then not release them. Then when they do actually promise to release them publicly and never do. I don't get what the issue is.

6 hours ago, Battlechili said:

FINAL FANTASY XV FULL LENGTH CGI MOVIE

FINAL FANTASY XV SHORT ANIME SERIES

SQUARE ENIX IS GOING ALL OUT

56fc8e5a06180_ffxvanime.thumb.png.fd9648

I like to think it's their way of apologizing for taking 10 years to get this out. 

Then again, it could also mean that they got lazy and decided to put all the extra stuff elsewhere so that they could have the release date earlier. I mean. These things are definitely part of the story even tho they said it wouldn't be necessary to see them all to understand the story of the main game. Like that demo. They're basically telling ye to play and see them all. Lol. 

Then again, they also confirmed that the purpose of the movie is to get more people interested in the game.

On 3/31/2016 at 11:01 PM, XoPachi said:

EDIT: Ummmm, excuse me. That fucking picky, wasteful, tasteless donkey. It's LETTUCE, you slovenly git. Eat it, goddamn you. That is a perfectly good burger. 

57008dd1c3946_ffxvanimeveggies.thumb.png

On 3/31/2016 at 4:26 AM, yell0wf0x said:

I like to think it's their way of apologizing for taking 10 years to get this out. 

Then again, it could also mean that they got lazy and decided to put all the extra stuff elsewhere so that they could have the release date earlier. I mean. These things are definitely part of the story even tho they said it wouldn't be necessary to see them all to understand the story of the main game. Like that demo. They're basically telling ye to play and see them all. Lol. 

Then again, they also confirmed that the purpose of the movie is to get more people interested in the game.

I think they're just trying to hype things up as much as they can with all this extra content. The Final Fantasy XV clothing line existing seems to especially make this apparent. 

I'm just wondering how they managed to work on the movie for all this time without anyone knowing about it.

Man, I cannot wait for FF7R either. I thought it was going to be a reskin of the original, but I was highly mistaken. Never cared for the original either so I'm actually highly glad. It's just a shiny new game. Won't have a kick ass car though. 

6 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Man, I cannot wait for FF7R either. I thought it was going to be a reskin of the original, but I was highly mistaken. Never cared for the original either so I'm actually highly glad. It's just a shiny new game. Won't have a kick ass car though. 

Yeah, I don't care much for VII either. I think its all right but I felt the story was kind of disjointed and difficult to follow at times, and the characters didn't really seem all that well fleshed out. Combat wise it was all right, but its the same sort of combat previous entries had. It wasn't anything new. The new VII Remake looks really fresh and exciting and I feel like it has a chance to improve upon what VII did while giving the player much more control in the combat. I'm just worried that it won't have a jump button and that you'll be stuck to combat on the ground like in Crisis Core.

Final Fantasy IX's Steam page has launched!

Based on the pictures, apparently it'll have HD textures.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/377840

Thought I'd throw down some comparison screenshots:

5701f5ae89309_ffixpcvsemulated.thumb.png

5701f5bb59fae_ffixpcvsemulated2.thumb.pn

5701f5cab298b_finalfantasyixpcvsemulatio

Edited by Battlechili

Yeah, I played 7 and it was like I don't care anymore after 3 hours. Though honestly, I've never liked Final Fantasy outside of 12 and Echoes of Time. A lot of people hated 12, but I thought it was cool. But when I played that massive demo for FF15 back in...what was it 2014? It was a wrap. The instant I threw my sword at someone and teleported into combat, I was done. Was getting that game on the spot.

I've been playing FFXIII lately, and admittedly I love it! I'm going to copy paste something I wrote out elsewhere:

I love how characters are constantly moving around the battlefield, and how because of that timing affects the effectiveness of your attacks. I like how attacking can result in you missing or hitting multiple enemies depending on your position on the battlefield at the time of the attack in relation to enemy positions, and I'm not certain but I recall throwing a grenade in early game and I think it hurt my allies because they stood in the location it landed. Plus grinding is pretty much unnecessary in this game. Most strategy revolves around figuring out what paradigms to switch to when to make your attacks as effective as possible. It keeps me on my toes in harder battles and makes me think about what I would need to do to make killing an enemy easier. I also like the lack of random encounters. Instead you the player have the power to initiate a fight and you know when a fight is coming and what it is, rather than it being RNG based.

Masashi Hamauzu's soundtrack was also really strong and pretty, and at times it seems downright whimsical and fun, others really tense, and others just pretty. Some of my favorite tracks are "Eden Under Siege", "The Sunleth Waterscape", "Eidolons, and "Desperate Struggle". Some of these tracks are somewhat reminiscent of Final Fantasy X's music and is used just as appropriately then as it is now. Like, "Saber's Edge" sounds really similar to "Enemy Attack" in FFX, and I think that's kind of cool. Both set up really tense feelings, although I think X did a bit of a better job, as XIII's use of violins gave it a prettier sound.

Visually the game is gorgeous. There's so much detail in the environments and each of the character models look very clean and pretty. And the game is pleasant on the eyes; its 60FPS makes looking around the map and moving a joy. (when it works, I'll admit I've been playing on PC and the framerate drops are annoying)

The characters are also kinda cool. Each of them have their own struggles and hardships they must overcome  Lightning is a strong and lone wolf of a character, but she must come to realize that she's not emotionally strong enough to handle her quest on her own. She needs help and must learn to work alongside others and trust them, and she actually shows this growth as you go through the game. Hope has to learn to grow up and become a strong man beyond the innocent child he is and he must also make ammends with Snow, whom he blames for the death of his anger. And he shows growth as well! With the help of Lightning, he begins to realize that he needs to become stronger and carry his own weight, gaining some ground maturity wise. And then there's Snow, who will do anything to protect and help Serah and must grow beyond the "all talk, no show" act he seems to constantly put on. The characters in this game are strong, and I adore them.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but from what I can tell, while I don't know what sort of struggles these characters have, I have found that Sazh and Vanille are pretty likable. Sazh acts as comic relief and also sees the world as an average person would, making him a good eye into the world for the player to see. He's realistic and funny. And Vanille is the picture of hope in the party; she's so incredibly cheerful and youthful, and whenever things look down she tries her best to cheer everyone up, and I adore that.

The monster designs are also really unique and interesting to look at. I love the concept of enemies that are biologically mechanical. They have machine parts and can morph and change and do all sorts of complex actions as a result, but in the end they are still creatures of the world. The Eidolons reflect this especially once they've been defeated by the characters they fight; they transform into something that reflects the personality of the character that beat it. For instance, Snow's turns into a motorcycle. Eidolons aren't the only ones that act like this, its just the easiest way to show off the way enemies work in the game.

FFXIII is pretty cool imo. Its not perfect, as its too linear and too much of the story and information is put into the menu as a requirement for a player's full understanding of the story, but its a strong game in my book.

On 4/4/2016 at 0:36 AM, XoPachi said:

Yeah, I played 7 and it was like I don't care anymore after 3 hours. Though honestly, I've never liked Final Fantasy outside of 12 and Echoes of Time. A lot of people hated 12, but I thought it was cool. 

It makes me happy that you like XII. XII gets a lot of flak but I found its world to be one of the more interesting ones in the series, and it was nice not having random encounters all the time. Plus to this day it still imo has some of the best voice acting in video games. I've really gotta play Echoes of Time though. I haven't played as many of the spinoffs as I probably should have.

Edited by Battlechili

2 hours ago, Battlechili said:

I've been playing FFXIII lately, and admittedly I love it! I'm going to copy paste something I wrote out elsewhere:

I love how characters are constantly moving around the battlefield, and how because of that timing affects the effectiveness of your attacks. I like how attacking can result in you missing or hitting multiple enemies depending on your position on the battlefield at the time of the attack in relation to enemy positions, and I'm not certain but I recall throwing a grenade in early game and I think it hurt my allies because they stood in the location it landed. Plus grinding is pretty much unnecessary in this game. Most strategy revolves around figuring out what paradigms to switch to when to make your attacks as effective as possible. It keeps me on my toes in harder battles and makes me think about what I would need to do to make killing an enemy easier. I also like the lack of random encounters. Instead you the player have the power to initiate a fight and you know when a fight is coming and what it is, rather than it being RNG based.

Masashi Hamauzu's soundtrack was also really strong and pretty, and at times it seems downright whimsical and fun, others really tense, and others just pretty. Some of my favorite tracks are "Eden Under Siege", "The Sunleth Waterscape", "Eidolons, and "Desperate Struggle". Some of these tracks are somewhat reminiscent of Final Fantasy X's music and is used just as appropriately then as it is now. Like, "Saber's Edge" sounds really similar to "Enemy Attack" in FFX, and I think that's kind of cool. Both set up really tense feelings, although I think X did a bit of a better job, as XIII's use of violins gave it a prettier sound.

Visually the game is gorgeous. There's so much detail in the environments and each of the character models look very clean and pretty. And the game is pleasant on the eyes; its 60FPS makes looking around the map and moving a joy. (when it works, I'll admit I've been playing on PC and the framerate drops are annoying)

The characters are also kinda cool. Each of them have their own struggles and hardships they must overcome  Lightning is a strong and lone wolf of a character, but she must come to realize that she's not emotionally strong enough to handle her quest on her own. She needs help and must learn to work alongside others and trust them, and she actually shows this growth as you go through the game. Hope has to learn to grow up and become a strong man beyond the innocent child he is and he must also make ammends with Snow, whom he blames for the death of his anger. And he shows growth as well! With the help of Lightning, he begins to realize that he needs to become stronger and carry his own weight, gaining some ground maturity wise. And then there's Snow, who will do anything to protect and help Serah and must grow beyond the "all talk, no show" act he seems to constantly put on. The characters in this game are strong, and I adore them.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but from what I can tell, while I don't know what sort of struggles these characters have, I have found that Sazh and Vanille are pretty likable. Sazh acts as comic relief and also sees the world as an average person would, making him a good eye into the world for the player to see. He's realistic and funny. And Vanille is the picture of hope in the party; she's so incredibly cheerful and youthful, and whenever things look down she tries her best to cheer everyone up, and I adore that.

The monster designs are also really unique and interesting to look at. I love the concept of enemies that are biologically mechanical. They have machine parts and can morph and change and do all sorts of complex actions as a result, but in the end they are still creatures of the world. The Eidolons reflect this especially once they've been defeated by the characters they fight; they transform into something that reflects the personality of the character that beat it. For instance, Snow's turns into a motorcycle. Eidolons aren't the only ones that act like this, its just the easiest way to show off the way enemies work in the game.

FFXIII is pretty cool imo. Its not perfect, as its too linear and too much of the story and information is put into the menu as a requirement for a player's full understanding of the story, but its a strong game in my book.

The battle system is pretty nice imo. It does give ye a lot of strategic control over the game and it can make boss battles pretty hard. It actually evolves even more by xiii-2. And I think it's been perfected quite well in lightning returns. 

Also. I find Vanille quite annoying and irritating.

And honestly, I find the characters quite forgettable. They are too plain imo. Lightning is the only one they fleshed out rather well. But it's still pretty good regardless. Underrated even. 

And yes. Linearity kills it. Somewhat fixed in xiii-2 and rather open world in lightning returns.

13 was actually my first main FF game. I played it because I heard there was no BS random battles and a less archaic battle system. 

For the first 10 hours I liked it, but then I was getting sick of it. Its areas were literally corridors. I found Combat quick but fairly mindless. And none of the enemies really required much thought. I was still using the Gladius and never felt any real need for Paradigm Shifts or anything like that. Keep in mind, since I immediately knew I wasn't going to care about the characters, plot, or world lore, I was skipping the cutscenes which let me blitz the portion of the game I played. So the 10 hours I put in my file was -straight- gameplay and I probably ended up a bit further than most people at that point. I still felt like...I was in a tutorial and not playing an actual game. Most people I hear dislike it seemingly out of nostalgic bias and can't except change. But I really feel like 13-1 was a step back for any RPG. It looked great, Snow was bad ass with how my boy just PUNCHED shit, and that battle music...that tear inducing lovely battle music. I wouldn't call it a BAD game by any stretch (obviously not just for those three reasons). I don't think that's fair. But it could have been a lot better, I think.

I didn't get that far in 12 (never owned it), but I liked it a lot more. It was different enough while being a bit more traditional. It opened up fairly quickly, had loads of content, and I thought fighting was pretty different. It was actually why I tried and adore Xenoblade 1 and 2. If I remember correctly, they were similar. I really need to get a copy of FF12 sometime. Didn't that shit have raids too? I remember my friends brother fighting this small...fish like secret boss thing that was just BODYING him.

Edited by XoPachi

• 2 weeks later...

Final Fantasy IX PC is out now. With no advertising from Square whatsoever.

Also interestingly, the Steam database seems to show that there was an update to the several month long inactive Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster in the Steam database. Perhaps Square was waiting for IX to come out before doing anything with X/X-2 on PC. I suspect there'll be an announcement for it in the near future.

On 4/6/2016 at 1:39 PM, XoPachi said:

I didn't get that far in 12 (never owned it), but I liked it a lot more. It was different enough while being a bit more traditional. It opened up fairly quickly, had loads of content, and I thought fighting was pretty different. It was actually why I tried and adore Xenoblade 1 and 2. If I remember correctly, they were similar. I really need to get a copy of FF12 sometime. Didn't that shit have raids too? I remember my friends brother fighting this small...fish like secret boss thing that was just BODYING him.

What do you mean by raids? Do you mean the Hunts you could take on, where you could go to a board and see what enemies were giving people trouble that you could sign up to defeat, and after beating a few Hunts you would gain a rank and be able to take on more?

And yeah, 12 had a lot of secret bosses, some of which were REALLY tough. There's a giant optional Esper hidden in the sewers that take a while to get to, but once you get to it, even while at a high level it'll give the player a lot of trouble since it specializes in causing various status ailments and utilizing them in the fight. Never did beat him either, and I hear he's not even the toughest boss in the game.

Edited by Battlechili

2 hours ago, XoPachi said:

Raids in RPG's are normally extraordinarily difficult bosses or dungeons that require a full party (hence the term) at nearly max level with optimal builds a extremely high level end game gear.

Oh! My bad, I didn't know. Then yes, the game definitely has that. So much so that despite having put around 70+ hours into the game, there are areas I still haven't explored in full since enemies are too high level in some areas for me to easily get past. ._.

9 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Oh! My bad, I didn't know. Then yes, the game definitely has that. So much so that despite having put around 70+ hours into the game, there are areas I still haven't explored in full since enemies are too high level in some areas for me to easily get past. ._.

I love a good raid. Granted more so in full on real time action RPG's or first person games like Borderlands. Or at least I imagine I would. I've never done a raid in something like FF12.

23 minutes ago, Taikugemu said:

Bought the best FF on steam yesterday. No regrets.

Well go on.

Don't leave us hanging. Which one is the best FF? There's so many on Steam. III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, XI, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XIV:ARR, and Type 0 HD are all on Steam.

My Echoes of Time no longer works. What a time to be alive. 

That game was the truth. Cross platform online Co op with Wii and DS. Isometric action/platforming RPG. Can draw on Moogles. Nice layered vertices environments and simple puzzles. Man that game owned. I bet a new copy costs two arms and a leg though. 

For a company that's so obsessed with OMFG GRAFFIX, they sure hate putting games on PC.  XV likely won't have a PC version until 2021, which would be absurdly fast by Japanese porting standards!  Then again, they do have XIV on Windows, and the PC version of DQ Warriors was really quick, so who knows anymore.  However, Day 1 PC versions of Japanese games have to come a LONG way before it becomes commonplace.

That said, my experience with Final Fantasy would start with 3, the NES one.  I emulated it on my archaic eMachines toaster, but it was the best time I ever had.  I still remember the first Bahamut fight, where I thought I had to keep fighting him.  I also tried getting into 1, but it felt too slow and clunky, same with 2.  So my only experience with FF is only 3.  Am I missing out on something worthwhile?

23 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

For a company that's so obsessed with OMFG GRAFFIX, they sure hate putting games on PC.  XV likely won't have a PC version until 2021, which would be absurdly fast by Japanese porting standards!  Then again, they do have XIV on Windows, and the PC version of DQ Warriors was really quick, so who knows anymore.  However, Day 1 PC versions of Japanese games have to come a LONG way before it becomes commonplace.

That said, my experience with Final Fantasy would start with 3, the NES one.  I emulated it on my archaic eMachines toaster, but it was the best time I ever had.  I still remember the first Bahamut fight, where I thought I had to keep fighting him.  I also tried getting into 1, but it felt too slow and clunky, same with 2.  So my only experience with FF is only 3.  Am I missing out on something worthwhile?

I mean, they don't seem particularly friendly with the PC, but its not THAT bad. It only took a year for Lightning Returns to get ported, and only a few months for Type 0 HD to get ported. So it seems they're at least speeding up their ports.

As for the latter...Well, honestly, I'd say so. I only have experience with the PC/iOS/DS version of III, but from my experience it was really...bare in comparison to later games. Although that largely depends on what you're looking for. If you want more story, you're definitely missing out on some FF games. If you want more gameplay or something more similar to III...Well, you might like V at least. V has a heavy emphasis on a job system which I believe is what III had a good bit of focus on. It also has a more traditional story in comparison to later games (while still being enjoyable for its fun characters). 

Yeah, but is Square jumps onto the PC train like the other two Japanese AAA companies like Capcom and Konami, then you can effectively say that consoles will become an exclusively niche market, while the AAA market has moved onto PC.  Except, you know, Konami no longer making games.  I guess you can replace them with Bandai Namco, Dark Souls has really changed their perception of the market.  Then again, Ace Combat 7 and Tekken 7, Namco's biggest upcoming games, are only on consoles.

Enough port begging.  As for FF, I heard that many viewed the remake to be rather flat and bland compared to the original.  And I really can't get into the soundtrack they gave it.  Uematsu was a damn genius when it came to the NES' audio, it's amazing the range of music he made on the exact same hardware, and even game.  Now with orchestrated music, it all sounds so samey and, well, 'there'.  But I should give the others a shot.  Does anyone know that FF flash parody game, where you had to fight Mario and later the AOL guy?  That takes me back to my highschool days.

If there's a PC version, I'm fucked. This game is TOO beautiful to run smoothly on a shit tier 7850.

If it's any console-ation, it barely runs on the PS4, much less look beautiful.  Spec-wise, the PS4 has a 7670, far below what you have.  Unless you have an AMD processor, you might match PS4 performance.

• 2 weeks later...

SOON

ffx remaster download.png

Oh boy, 30FPS lock incoming.  I might as well bust out my old PS2, I'll get precisely the same experience.

People keep having this complaint and it bugs the heck out of me. I don't know why you would've expected it not to be 30FPS locked to be honest. It was 30FPS on PS4, a piece of hardware which could easily handle it at 60FPS and was a pre-XIII FF game. Having game logic tied to framerate was almost a certainty, considering literally every other FF game has a framerate lock for the same reason. You should've expected this. 

And its still not like playing on a PS2. It has a large amount of graphics options and a bunch of bonuses like a no encounter mode and speedhacks.

ffx settings.jpg

25 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

People keep having this complaint and it bugs the heck out of me.

It's just lazy porting.  Understandable for the PS3 and Vita versions to run at 30, but inexcusable for the PS4 and PC versions, they offer nothing over the prior two versions aside from, uhh, resolution and shadows I guess?  Basically, if I bought it for the PS3, why should I buy it again?  Well on the bright side, at least it isn't an action oriented game like Type 0.

14 minutes ago, major lee snake said:

It's just lazy porting.  Understandable for the PS3 and Vita versions to run at 30, but inexcusable for the PS4 and PC versions, they offer nothing over the prior two versions aside from, uhh, resolution and shadows I guess?  Basically, if I bought it for the PS3, why should I buy it again?  Well on the bright side, at least it isn't an action oriented game like Type 0.

I think you expect too much effort, personally. Changing assets and models is a lot easier than screwing around with the way the game was coded from the ground up, I would imagine. But fair enough; if you feel that this isn't enough effort to warrant a repurchase, then that's fine. The PS4 and PC versions offer both soundtracks as opposed to just the remastered version in the PS3 version, which is great for some people who take issue with some of the changes made between versions, so there's that as well as a difference between versions. Plus now people should be able to easily mod in dual audio, since the game is available in Japanese and English in all regions, which is also a bonus for some. So its not as if there isn't an incentive for a repurchase. Although in my case its not even a repurchase; I don't own the PS3 or PS4 versions. Only own the PS2 version so there's a lot of reason for me to purchase this.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that this is the International version, so technically its different from the PS2 version that was released in the US at least in that sense too. More content.

7 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

I think you expect too much effort, personally. Changing assets and models is a lot easier than screwing around with the way the game was coded from the ground up, I would imagine. 

I can testify that even at low level coding, diving in and changing something, especially something so deeply tied into how the game runs, is a complete ass and raises so many issues. The FPS is actually tied to a lot of things in a lot of games. For example in Fallout 4 the lock picking is tied to the fps, hence one of the reasons for the FPS lock.