TrishaCat

You know thinking about it i wonder why anyone play Undertale differently than pacifist, when it's catchphrase is "The RPG where NO ONE has to DIE" if you wanted to kill things you came across you would play most any other rpg. While the SMT series does have ways of talking your way out of most fights it doesn't have ways to spare bossfights, Which is something i hope becomes a feature in the next SMT game.

34 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

You know thinking about it i wonder why anyone play Undertale differently than pacifist, when it's catchphrase is "The RPG where NO ONE has to DIE" if you wanted to kill things you came across you would play most any other rpg. While the SMT series does have ways of talking your way out of most fights it doesn't have ways to spare bossfights, Which is something i hope becomes a feature in the next SMT game.

Well funnily enough the game itself talks about that very question pretty damn extensively. For example...

During Undyne's speech after killing monsters but sparing Papyrus, she'll start talking about specific monsters you killed asking what they did to deserve to die and say something to the effect of "you're using self-defense as an excuse, as you could have very easily chosen to spare their lives at any point with only the most minimal effort, but you didn't because it was easier."

Pretty much the entirety of San's speech during his fight at the end of the 'genocide' route is him talking about your possible motivations for doing something so unbelievably horrible. Eventually he just says "that he knows your type", and that "because you can do something, it means you have to," even if it provides literally zero benefit to you overall.

A large aspect of Flowey's backstory also revealed during the genocide route also talks about it. For example how he used his ability to SAVE initially to fix everyones problems and play nice, but as he exhausted all possible options he started to kill out of curiosity and experiment, knowing that ultimately he could always go back. On top of that, Chara's speeches in the worst ending are pretty much all about how awesome it feels to see numbers grow and "become strong".

There's more scattered around, but that's just a few off the top of my head.

Wait do spoilers even work?

Edited by PastryOfApathy

9 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Well funnily enough the game itself talks about that very question pretty damn extensively. For example...

During Undyne's speech after killing monsters

but

sparing Papyrus, she'll start talking about specific monsters you killed asking what they did to deserve to die and say something to the effect of "you're using self-defense as an excuse, as you could have very easily chosen to spare their lives at any point with only the most minimal effort, but you didn't because it was easier."

Pretty much the entirety of San's speech during his fight at the end of the 'genocide' route is him talking about your possible motivations for doing something so unbelievably horrible. Eventually he just says "that he knows your type", and that "because you can do something, it means you have to," even if it provides literally zero benefit to you overall.

A large aspect of Flowey's backstory also revealed during the genocide route also talks about it. For example how he used his ability to SAVE initially to fix everyones problems and play nice, but as he exhausted all possible options he started to kill out of curiosity and experiment, knowing that ultimately he could always go back. On top of that, Chara's speeches in the worst ending are pretty much all about how awesome it feels to see numbers grow and "become strong".

There's more scattered around, but that's just a few off the top of my head.

well by talks it more it more so berates you for going towards the fail state. ofcourse i never personally saw any of that since i got the best ending and didn't do any of the failure stuff and have no desire to fail at the game.

5 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

well by talks it more it more so berates you for going towards the fail state. ofcourse i never personally saw any of that since i got the best ending and didn't do any of the failure stuff and have no desire to fail at the game.

It really depends on your interpretation. I didn't exactly give the most comprehensive summary or something, but "failure" differs a lot from person to person. 

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

It really depends on your interpretation. I didn't exactly give the most comprehensive summary or something, but "failure" differs a lot from person to person. 

well it's kind of a story based game and the story tells you way more than any other story how much of a failure it is to kill everything. Like there is no game I can think of with multiple endings where one ending the story is so biased towards one ending that even the game doesn't want you to play it after getting that ending. I really don't think there's any interpretation of the story where anything but true pacifist is the best ending and anything else is a failure, or at least not as much of a success.

If you interpret it from a game-play perspective and totally take out the story then i guess there's some reason to do fail-state runs. It is interesting how badly the game will let you fail and keep letting you fail, but how much it will tell you you are failing. but failing is still failing, it's just this game gives you some more things for failing. You could like the fail-state runs more than the best ending but the game tells you all the time that it's a failure run and what your doing is the wrong thing. Also it's a story driven based game so i played it primarily for the story, and once I got the best ending there's no reason to get different failure endings. You could like the failure runs and there's nothing wrong with failure and can definitely be an experience people like especially since this game lets you fail so hard and even though it will tell you how badly you are failing it won't stop you from failing, which is something most games don't allow you to do. But you don't even get any sort of achievement for these failure runs so there is nothing you get from this failure other than the experience of failing. That can be for some people but it's not for me.

24 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

well it's kind of a story based game and the story tells you way more than any other story how much of a failure it is to kill everything. Like there is no game I can think of with multiple endings where one ending the story is so biased towards one ending that even the game doesn't want you to play it after getting that ending. I really don't think there's any interpretation of the story where anything but true pacifist is the best ending and anything else is a failure, or at least not as much of a success.

If you interpret it from a game-play perspective and totally take out the story then i guess there's some reason to do fail-state runs. It is interesting how badly the game will let you fail and keep letting you fail, but how much it will tell you you are failing. but failing is still failing, it's just this game gives you some more things for failing. You could like the fail-state runs more than the best ending but the game tells you all the time that it's a failure run and what your doing is the wrong thing. Also it's a story driven based game so i played it primarily for the story, and once I got the best ending there's no reason to get different failure endings. You could like the failure runs and there's nothing wrong with failure and can definitely be an experience people like especially since this game lets you fail so hard and even though it will tell you how badly you are failing it won't stop you from failing, which is something most games don't allow you to do. But you don't even get any sort of achievement for these failure runs so there is nothing you get from this failure other than the experience of failing. That can be for some people but it's not for me.

That's one of those things I guess where everyone's different. Different stroke, different folks, etc.

Yeah fandoms suck most of the time... Spoilers everywhere, creepy artwork, you can't watch a Youtube video without there being some kind of Undertale reference in the comments.
And what the heck is Underfell even?!

I'm happy for Toby though. He seems to be pretty unfazed by all of this and it's great that his game got so...
It's so...
POPULAR!!!
POPULAR!!!
POPULAR!!!

1 hour ago, Käpt'n said:

Yeah fandoms suck most of the time... Spoilers everywhere, creepy artwork, you can't watch a Youtube video without there being some kind of Undertale reference in the comments.
And what the heck is Underfell even?!

I'm happy for Toby though. He seems to be pretty unfazed by all of this and it's great that his game got so...
It's so...
POPULAR!!!
POPULAR!!!
POPULAR!!!

They even spoiler the games for youtubers. Lol they need to stop.

36 minutes ago, Nova said:

They even spoiler the games for youtubers. Lol they need to stop.

ProJared is currently uploading his pacifist run (he just beat Asgore and the mindfuck is about to kick in) and so far he didn't like it very much because he didn't have a chance to go in blind. He was bombarded with emails from people who told him to play it and it kind of ruined it for him.
They also massively overhyped the game and he simply doesn't see what all the fuzz is about.

11 hours ago, Nova said:

Its the truth

Fandoms are only as bad as you let them be. They can single-handedly ruin things you like or only make them better (albeit with the occasional groan-worthy thing here and there but nothing's perfect). I ain't no one's mom or anything so I can't decide for people.

8 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

ProJared is currently uploading his pacifist run (he just beat Asgore and the mindfuck is about to kick in) and so far he didn't like it very much because he didn't have a chance to go in blind. He was bombarded with emails from people who told him to play it and it kind of ruined it for him.
They also massively overhyped the game and he simply doesn't see what all the fuzz is about.

That's the real problem with fandoms I feel if anything. Although it's nothing inherent with 'fandoms' and more an unfortunate side-effect of popularity in general, alongside the whole "OMG HOW U NOT LIEK THING U FUCK" aspect that only feeds into the equally retarded "OMG HOW U LEIK THING U FAG" part.

Oh well, I'll just sit here and continue to enjoy occasionally talking about it and listening to the soundtrack every so often like a semi-normal human being.

4 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

Apparently Jared lost the footage of the Omega Flowey fight... I was really looking forward to this .__.

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened to anyone else considering how it works. Of course I could be totally wrong seeing I don't closely follow the world of let's play.

11 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened to anyone else considering how it works. Of course I could be totally wrong seeing I don't closely follow the world of let's play.

You mean with the game closing before and during the fight when you die? Yeah I can see how that could corrupt a videofile! If the tool that he used for it just ended capturing so abruptly as the game closes that could totally damage a file.

However, what I noticed is that he seems to enjoy the game a lot more now. The fights are harder, the plot is getting good and the characters seem to have grown on him. Either that or he is a really good actor and is just faking enjoyment :V

IGN reviewed the game:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/13/undertale-review

tl;dr: 10/10, they rated it as a Masterpiece! So they put it into the same "prestigious" category as other classics like Ocarina of Time :)

Maybe they did it because they were scared about the fandom ripping them a new asshole :V

Edited by Käpt'n

10 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

You mean with the game closing before and during the fight when you die? Yeah I can see how that could corrupt a videofile! If the tool that he used for it just ended capturing so abruptly as the game closes that could totally damage a file.

However, what I noticed is that he seems to enjoy the game a lot more now. The fights are harder, the plot is getting good and the characters seem to have grown on him. Either that or he is a really good actor and is just faking enjoyment :V

I didn't watch much of it, but I remember some his initial complaints was that he thought sparing monsters was effectively the same as attacking due to how easy it is early on. Obviously that changes quite a bit so I imagine that helped, alongside just naturally adjusting your expectations. Of course I don't have a bajillion YT subscribers and my name isn't 'ProJared' so I can only say so much.

58 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

IGN reviewed the game:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/13/undertale-review

tl;dr: 10/10, they rated it as a Masterpiece! So they put it into the same "prestigious" category as other classics like Ocarina of Time :)

Maybe they did it because they were scared about the fandom ripping them a new asshole :V

It's IGN, who the hell cares? Also they're like literally 3 months late how the hell does that even happen?

Edited by PastryOfApathy
  • Like 1

Btw i'm not sure how many think this but the idea of talking your way out of fights in an RPG isn't something Undertale invented. Though undertale took it to the extreme of being able to talk your way out of bosses as well, which is something i hope the next Shin Megami Tensei game implements. The Shin Megami Tensei has done this for a long time with being able to talk to enemies, you can barter with them and try to recruit them to join your party. The only ones that don't really have this are the persona 3 and 4 which are offshoots and not part of the main SMT series. So anyone who likes this mechanic definitely needs to check out the SMT games.

Also I sort of understand what ProJared is talking about sparing and talking your way out of fights. Since once you find the right talk solution you just do that every-time you fight that creature and it becomes repetitive. In the SMT games negotiations with Demons is always different which makes it more interesting in each battle because you don't know what to expect. I do know in some SMT games like nocturne it's not totally random in how they react to your answers to their questions and certain demons like specific answers to questions most of the time, but since it occasionally changes it makes it interesting and there always being a risk to negotiating. However Undertale is just long enough that this doesn't really fully set in. If each area was like 30 minutes-1 hour longer it would have felt more repetitive.

5 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

It's IGN, who the hell cares? Also they're like literally 3 months late how the hell does that even happen?

Our Lord and Savior Jim Fuckin' Sterling, Son also gave it a 10/10. And he, Yahtzee, and Totalbiscuit all declared it their game of the year, which is quite an amazing feat.

5 minutes ago, VulpineTaco said:

Our Lord and Savior Jim Fuckin' Sterling, Son also gave it a 10/10. And he, Yahtzee, and Totalbiscuit all declared it their game of the year, which is quite an amazing feat.

Totalbiscuit actually played it? I just remember him having a temper tantrum and refusing to touch it because it wasn't 60fps.

16 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Totalbiscuit actually played it? I just remember him having a temper tantrum and refusing to touch it because it wasn't 60fps.

He didn't have a temper tantrum. He was skeptical, of course, since 30FPS games make him feel nauseous, but he ended up playing and loving it.

So he was acting like a baby over something stupid as usual? Sounds about right.

What are you even talking about?

Oh.

Oh god.

You're one of THOSE people.

The kind who constantly post to /r/GamerGhazi calling Star Wars Monopoly "sexist", then turning around and calling other people whiny.

Or, you're just a console peasant who can't stand to think that, maybe, 1080p60 is objectively better, despite your "cinematic vision".

7 minutes ago, VulpineTaco said:

Oh.

Oh god.

The kind who constantly post to /r/GamerGhazi calling Star Wars Monopoly "sexist", then turning around and calling other people whiny.

Or, you're just a console peasant who can't stand to think that, maybe, 1080p60 is objectively better, despite your "cinematic vision".

Lol what the fuck are you talking about? You got something pent up you need to get off your chest or something?

10 minutes ago, VulpineTaco said:

Oh.

Oh god.

God, this is the second time I've seen you act like you've got a rod up your ass over stuff like this. Not to mention you're taking leaps of logic just to make it relevant in the first place. Do you go around looking to start arguments with people?

• Like 2

Lol what the fuck are you talking about? You got something pent up you need to get off your chest or something?

Typically, the people who bitch and moan about TB's punditry (which you can right well choose to ignore) are the people from GamerGhazi who hate him because he agreed with some of GamerGate's points or the people who talk about 30FPS being "better" and "more cinematic".

4 minutes ago, ChaosCalix said:

God, this is the second time I've seen you act like you've got a rod up your ass over stuff like this. Not to mention you're taking leaps of logic just to make it relevant in the first place. Do you go around looking to start arguments with people?

Yes, because I love their peasant 

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄██████▄

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄████████████▄
▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄██████████████████
▒▒▒▄████▀▀▀██▀██▌███▀▀▀████
▒▒▐▀████▌▀██▌▀▐█▌████▌█████▌
▒▒█▒▒▀██▀▀▐█▐█▌█▌▀▀██▌██████
▒▒█▒▒▒▒████████████████████▌
▒▒▒▌▒▒▒▒█████░░░░░░░██████▀
▒▒▒▀▄▓▓▓▒███░░░░░░█████▀▀
▒▒▒▒▀░▓▓▒▐█████████▀▀▒
▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▐█████▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒

Just now, VulpineTaco said:

Typically, the people who bitch and moan about TB's punditry (which you can right well choose to ignore) are the people from GamerGhazi who hate him because he agreed with some of GamerGate's points or the people who talk about 30FPS being "better" and "more cinematic".

What? I just said was a tard for sperging out over FPS in games that literally do not benefit from it in any way whatsoever.

That said, are you one of THOSE people who never shuts the fuck up about GG-related shit that no one cares about and insists dragging it up all the time? Since if you are that's alright, just keep like a tab open on reddit or something whenever you need to flip out about feminism or whatever.

Anyways Undertale, pretty cool game. I've been listening to this for a little bit since it's an awesome remix of one of the most underrated songs on the soundtrack.

2 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Anyways Undertale, pretty cool game. I've been listening to this for a little bit since it's an awesome remix of one of the most underrated songs on the soundtrack.

What the hell, I'm subbed to this guy and didn't even see these videos? Wow.

Also, I'm surprised this song is considered underrated. It's fantastic.

What? I just said was a tard for sperging out over FPS in games that literally do not benefit from it in any way whatsoever.

That said, are you one of THOSE people who never shuts the fuck up about GG-related shit that no one cares about and insists dragging it up all the time? Since if you are that's alright, just keep like a tab open on reddit or something whenever you need to flip out about feminism or whatever.

He didn't sperge out over it. He showed skepticism since bullet hell games tend to rely more on precision of controls, so yeah, it would benefit from a higher framerate.

And no, I'm completely anti/GG-neutral. I myself am a feminist, and I tend to see equal treatment of human beings as a top priority. You just have the air of an /r/GamerGhazi user who likes to moan about how GamerGate is a harassment campaign, while turning a blind eye to the people on the extreme other side who have thrown tons of harassment at Totalbiscuit and Boogie2988 for showing ANY signs of agreeing with GG about anything.

Of course, you seem to be such a fanatic for the game that any small criticism it gets turns you into a child crying about how "Mr. Famous Youtuber doesn't agree with my opinions fully".

3 minutes ago, VulpineTaco said:

He didn't sperge out over it. He showed skepticism since bullet hell games tend to rely more on precision of controls, so yeah, it would benefit from a higher framerate.

And no, I'm completely anti/GG-neutral. I myself am a feminist, and I tend to see equal treatment of human beings as a top priority. You just have the air of an /r/GamerGhazi user who likes to moan about how GamerGate is a harassment campaign, while turning a blind eye to the people on the extreme other side who have thrown tons of harassment at Totalbiscuit and Boogie2988 for showing ANY signs of agreeing with GG about anything.

Of course, you seem to be such a fanatic for the game that any small criticism it gets turns you into a child crying about how "Mr. Famous Youtuber doesn't agree with my opinions fully".

Dude, calm the fuck down. Pastry just said that it is dumb to flip out over a game running at 30fps. You are getting worked up over nothing.

Just now, LazerMaster5 said:

Dude, calm the fuck down. Pastry just said that it is dumb to flip out over a game running at 30fps. You are getting worked up over nothing.

"Getting worked up."

So, providing a rational argument is suddenly getting worked up? No wonder the internet is such a shithole, nobody wants to hear an actual point on anything.

13 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

ugh.

this shit is awesome, but the remix changes just one note in the melody and i can't get over it fuck

it's like looking at the mona lisa and finding a booger, but you can't stop looking...

Just now, Onnes said:

@VulpineTaco, you should probably take a break from reddit, because it appears you have lost the capacity to distinguish reddit from not-reddit and are now living in what I can only assume is the world's sorriest waking nightmare.

Yes, I'll take a break from rational discussion (at least on my end) to do the usual, expected gushing.

OMG UNDERTALE BEST GAME EVURRRR SCREW THE HATERS THEY DON'T EVEN GET IT!!!!11!!!!

1 minute ago, VulpineTaco said:

Yes, I'll take a break from rational discussion (at least on my end) to do the usual, expected gushing.

OMG UNDERTALE BEST GAME EVURRRR SCREW THE HATERS THEY DON'T EVEN GET IT!!!!11!!!!

"rational"

@LazerMaster5 fuckin dunkey, beautiful!

Edited by evan

Just now, VulpineTaco said:

Where are you getting any of this? Like I'm legitimately dumbfounded, especially since I don't even watch or care about TB and I only know about this incident in particular from a podcast I like.

Seriously what the fuck are you talking about? How do you go from "some games literally don't benefit (and sometimes are negatively affected) from 60fps in any way and it's dumb to freak out over it," to "I hate TotalBiscuit personally because he hates a game I like, but he also loves it. Anyways something something gamergate for some reason?"

You're literally not making any sense right now. I'm asking politely, cut the shit. This isn't Reddit.

Just now, evan said:

"rational"

Well, I was the only one making actual points on anything based on actual, factual words that have come out of a person's mouth.

Where are you getting any of this? Like I'm legitimately dumbfounded, especially since I don't even watch or care about TB and I only know about this incident in particular from a podcast I like.

Seriously what the fuck are you talking about? How do you go from "some games literally don't benefit (and sometimes are negatively affected) from 60fps in any way and it's dumb to freak out over it," to "I hate TotalBiscuit personally because he hates a game I like, but he also loves it. Anyways something something gamergate for some reason?"

You're literally not making any sense right now. I'm asking politely, cut the shit. This isn't Reddit.

Well, first of all his quote was hardly whining, and was intended as a joke, which went right over your little head.

And, second of all, I brought up the fact that you sound like a person from GamerGhazi, which is hardly a GamerGate subreddit anymore, and more so the sort of bitching about TB that you do. You're the one who actually brought GamerGate itself into this. You continued to whinge about Totalbiscuit after I made my point about framerate, so I decided to give you a proper response.

tumblr_nwyrxadsPn1rb98x9o2_500.jpg

10 minutes ago, VulpineTaco said:

And, second of all, I brought up the fact that you sound like a person from GamerGhazi, which is hardly a GamerGate subreddit anymore, and more so the sort of bitching about TB that you do. You're the one who actually brought GamerGate itself into this. You continued to whinge about Totalbiscuit after I made my point about framerate, so I decided to give you a proper response.

37 minutes ago, VulpineTaco said:

if you really want to call that line, you actually did.

Edited by evan
  • Like 2