I think I agree with previous discussions on this topic in that an integrated chat feature is likely to just cannibalize activity from the actual forum posts.

I guess if it were really substituting for existing IRC activity that would be better, but my suspicion is that in reality it would mostly pull additional people from the forums that aren't using IRC in the first place. And these forums can't really afford to lose much activity.

(Is IRC where so many previously active posters seem to have disappeared to?)

• Like 2

Personally, I don't understand all the IRC hate. Not sure I see what this Shoutbox thing brings to the table. What are its advantages?

It's not that I hate IRC, it's just an idea.

I'd rather see site-integrated Tinychat capability.

I was just thinking too that Phoenix could have its own Tinychat.

I think I agree with previous discussions on this topic in that an integrated chat feature is likely to just cannibalize activity from the actual forum posts.

I guess if it were really substituting for existing IRC activity that would be better, but my suspicion is that in reality it would mostly pull additional people from the forums that aren't using IRC in the first place. And these forums can't really afford to lose much activity.

(Is IRC where so many previously active posters seem to have disappeared to?)

That's a valid point.

It's not that I hate IRC, it's just an idea.

I was just thinking too that Phoenix could have its own Tinychat.

That's a valid point.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you (or anyone) hates IRC. But, along with Discord, there seems to be a lot of attempts to replace it :P

I also agree with Onnes' post on cannibalism.

And IRC wouldn't cause the same thing? At least with integration into the site, people stay on-site.

Except that IRC will also still be there in addition to any site integrated feature. At least IRC, and other offsite platforms, are obviously offsite. You're much more likely to see an onsite feature start to split discussions between actual posts and ephemeral chatbox messages that can really only be followed by those that happen to be present in a given moment.

• Like 1

Honestly now that I think about it I don't see why having a little chatbox thing towards like the bottom or something would be so bad. I mean people are gonna congregate somewhere to talk in real-time no matter what and unlike an irc channel semi-hidden away to do whatever it does, a chat/shoutbox/whatever is clearly visible and keeps people directly on the site as opposed to a separate channel making people more likely to spot threads of interest.

Also IRC is archaic shit.