MuttButt

Portrait Poll 2  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How would we go about making it?

• commission one artist to draw the whole thing
    • resident artists collaborate
    • collage of existing images
    • commission your own/draw your own/use existing image

What's the difference between options 3 and 4?

If option 4 involves using or creating images to add to it, isn't that just a collage anyway?

Option 4 would potentially be a lot less messy, given that the majority of the images would be made explicitly for the collage, and it also gives people the opportunity to "group" their pictures together so that the whole thing feels a bit more interactive, like one cohesive image. The drawback of course is that people would be investing their own time and money into making it.

• Like 1

Option 4 would potentially be a lot less messy, given that the majority of the images would be made explicitly for the collage, and it also gives people the opportunity to "group" their pictures together so that the whole thing feels a bit more interactive, like one cohesive image. The drawback of course is that people would be investing their own time and money into making it.

Hey, it's a good idea, but some people naturally won't be able to pay for new images. Me included, unless I made a sneaky PayPal half a year before the minimum age.

It might make things worse if some of them fit together and others don't. :c

Hey, it's a good idea, but some people naturally won't be able to pay for new images. Me included, unless I made a sneaky PayPal half a year before the minimum age.

It might make things worse if some of them fit together and others don't. :c

I'm sure somebody would be willing to help you out on that front, doc~

I don't think it'll be so bad as long as we enforce certain requirements on the image, like all the same format (probably png) and white background only. That'll make them much easier to piece together seamlessly. 

I'm sure somebody would be willing to help you out on that front, doc~

I don't think it'll be so bad as long as we enforce certain requirements on the image, like all the same format (probably png) and white background only. That'll make them much easier to piece together seamlessly. 

With a .png, we could require a transparent background and we won't have to cut them out in order to collate them. Or at the very least, it would have the artist do the work of cutting them out. wouldn't be that hard to do with just about any illustration software.

We might also impose certain height/width requirements (without special permission) so that people aren't surprised when their work gets resized to play nice. Communication between the composer and the people who create or commission characters is going to be necessary if we want to get something that doesn't look like a hodgepodge.

Artists could also collaborate to compose each of their characters in a single unit so that they can interact with one another in special ways (like putting their arms around one another) but that'd be up to them.

Transparent bg or .psd format would be the ideal, so backgrounds do not become an issue. Another is to make the background a radically different color than the lineart / actual work, so it's easy to select via the wand tool. (For those who don't have access to transparency options.)

As for unique "for the image" submissions, I think that should be encouraged, but not a requirement.
This project should focus around including the Phoenix / FAF community, not being some huge professional-looking thing with strict, exclusive standards, because... what's even the point of that? We're a group of nerds on the internet, not a business.

This would maintain the inclusivity, while also allowing people to make their characters interact and do stuff that's setting-based if they want.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/2/2015 at 11:49 PM, Vae said:

Transparent bg or .psd format would be the ideal, so backgrounds do not become an issue. Another is to make the background a radically different color than the lineart / actual work, so it's easy to select via the wand tool. (For those who don't have access to transparency options.)

As for unique "for the image" submissions, I think that should be encouraged, but not a requirement.
This project should focus around including the Phoenix / FAF community, not being some huge professional-looking thing with strict, exclusive standards, because... what's even the point of that? We're a group of nerds on the internet, not a business.

This would maintain the inclusivity, while also allowing people to make their characters interact and do stuff that's setting-based if they want.

This is quite the wonderful idea! Especially the last part