FUCK YOU ART PROGRAM

Ratmomma

i am so pissed I AM SO RAGE.

Here I am working on a commission, doing the line work for the figure that I'll transfer onto traditional media, regularly saving and being watchful

and then out of nowhere

RIGHT THE FUCK OUTTA NOWHERE

program crashes as I was MAKING THE PERFECT FUCKING ANATOMY THAT I'VE BEEN SITTING HERE FOR HOURS STRUGGLING WITH.

wiped off the face of my damn computer

why?

WHO KNOWS

ALKSJDFHKASJDL >:U

MY PERFECT ANATOMY, ALL GONE 8(

[imogen heap song intensifies]

^ Corel Painter X does that too, as far as I recall.

But really, I'm sorry, it's always rageful to hear about these things. ._. I have a bad habit of not saving when I'm on a roll with drawings, and one time I lost all my progress on background shading due to a power outage. I was saving the finished PNG file to my Dropbox when the PC turned off, upon reoopening the file it said it was corrupted. Aaarrggh...

Augh, that's the worst.  I'm so paranoid about that that I instinctively press Ctrl-S every few seconds and even make new save files after every step.

Photoshop also finally got an autosave feature after all these years, but I can see how that might be bothersome with large files and could lead to corrupted files if it crashes during a save.

I was watching a stream a long while ago. The person was hitting about 50 or so hours on a picture. Photoshop crashed, and he stayed cool and figured he still has the previous save. He tries to open the save and...corrupted. He stayed calm and professional over the stream until it closed but you can just feel his anger emanating.

17 hours ago, pheonixbat said:

I was watching a stream a long while ago. The person was hitting about 50 or so hours on a picture. Photoshop crashed, and he stayed cool and figured he still has the previous save. He tries to open the save and...corrupted. He stayed calm and professional over the stream until it closed but you can just feel his anger emanating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

I took the habit of hitting Ctrl-S regularly when my 2nd computer's RAM started failing. I would get random kernel panics. Eventually the system wouldn't even make it to the BIOS and I found out a RAM module was the culprit. And I have a good APC battery backup as well.

But regularly saving is the best way to avoid losing hours of work. Either that or going old school with traditional stuff. But that's another topic LOL.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

But regularly saving is the best way to avoid losing hours of work. Either that or going old school with traditional stuff. But that's another topic LOL.

Even traditional work can lose all its progress... I'm talking to you, coffee/tea/anything drinkers.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2015 at 4:21 PM, Chrysocyon said:

Augh, that's the worst.  I'm so paranoid about that that I instinctively press Ctrl-S every few seconds and even make new save files after every step.

Photoshop also finally got an autosave feature after all these years, but I can see how that might be bothersome with large files and could lead to corrupted files if it crashes during a save.

Good lord, what kind of incompetent developers does Adobe have working for them? A program should never save over the file it's replacing, it should only ever point to the replacement after it has finished writing the file to disk. Preventing corrupted saves is basic stuff they figured out decades ago.

22 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Good lord, what kind of incompetent developers does Adobe have working for them? A program should never save over the file it's replacing, it should only ever point to the replacement after it has finished writing the file to disk. Preventing corrupted saves is basic stuff they figured out decades ago.

That probably is how it works. I've worked mostly in SAI and Clip Studio so idfk. In fact, I think the newer Photoshop saves stuff in temporary files on the hard disk so that it can be restored in case of a crash even if it wasn't saved at all.