Backing out on an offer?

AyGee

So... Not too long ago I noticed one of my submissions was getting close to 20 faves.  I decided to hold my own little thing where the person who made the 20th fave got to make any request for a pic, provided it involved the character in question (said 'winner' could include their own characters if they so wished).  Cut to a couple days later, and that 20th fave comes in, and the person... ah... Let's say it didn't look too promising.  They were 13, and it showed.

But hey!  I've been surprised by people younger than me before, so I figured I'd give this fellow a poke and let him know he won!  Lo and behold, my interaction with him so far pegs him as a complete dullard, who wanted to include two orignal characters who are totally -NOT- Sans and Papyrus ala Undertale fame.  I give this guy another poke, since I was hoping for more input along the lines of outfits, situations, or specific poses (or anything really), and he responds with the type of 'idk' answer I was hoping not to hear.

Now, there are far more interesting people who were favorite'ing that pic around the same time, but I had already told boring-fellow that he won and I don't want to seem like a colossal dick by offering someone something and then retracting that offer.

... I realize now I seem like I'm asking if the opinion of some 13-year-old furry on the internet matters, and the whole thing seems a little silly.  But I wonder if I should say anything - tell him I'm offering this thing to someone else for reasons that seem completely arbitrary -, or just not say anything and move on, as even he doesn't seem all that interested in the offer in the first place?

Just remember. "The winner is miss Columbia!" Follow this line of thought and you have yourself an answer. :V

But yeah... not a nice situation to be in. You don't just want to drop him, but you can't really work with him either. The other thing is, if you do move to a different person and tell this guy I'm sure he will have a hiss fit. If you don't tell him, he will have a hiss fit.

The best would be if you told him the truth. That you can't work with him if he himself doesn't know what he would like to receive. Tell him to make up his mind or you will simply be unable to do the piece properly. If he doesn't make up his mind, than move on.

Edited by Recel
  • Like 4

I think you need to bite the bullet and do it to save face. You'er not under contract or anything, but if you're image as an artist matters, it'd be wise to keep to the agreement.  Just take his dull idea, take creative liberties with it (It's not like HE'S offering any real ideas) and make something you'll like.  If his ideas is outside of your stated parameters, remind him of those and that he has to stay within them.  Maybe if he doesn't like that give him a 'way out' where you'll go with #19 if he's losing interest. :)

Edited by AshleyAshes

Well this guy doesn't seem to be putting a lot of effort in this thing if his was the ''idk'' kind of answer. He's unworthy, reserve your time and effort to more deserving people. I mean, come on, I can't stand people who are so lazy that they don't even put effort into making a decent request. As you said, he doesn't seem all that interested so you'd end up throwing your pearls to the pigs

Tell the kid that if they don't give you a straight answer, you cannot draw anything for them.

Explain to them that there are loads of people who would love a spot at this, and if the kid isn't sure then their slot will be passed on to someone who is.

Then you should change the rules so that anyone in the first 20 can make a request, and you pick the one you like best.

• Like 5

I'd never buy art from or work with the kind of person who makes promises and breaks them.

Lying to children is incredibly awful. 

If you back out you are a liar and a cheat and will be hurting the feelings of a child. 

Don't be a selfish monster. Do what you said you would. 

Lesson for the future:

Don't make promises you can't keep. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

I'd never buy art from or work with the kind of person who makes promises and breaks them.

Lying to children is incredibly awful. 

If you back out you are a liar and a cheat and will be hurting the feelings of a child. 

Don't be a selfish monster. Do what you said you would. 

Lesson for the future:

Don't make promises you can't keep. 

Actually, on second thought, I agree with this

Take the shit, and change the rules of your follower game so you can choose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrDingo said:

Tell the kid that if they don't give you a straight answer, you cannot draw anything for them.

Explain to them that there are loads of people who would love a spot at this, and if the kid isn't sure then their slot will be passed on to someone who is.

Then you should change the rules so that anyone in the first 20 can make a request, and you pick the one you like best.

This is actually the best answer so far. Please go with this

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Conker said:

Kid doesn't sound like he gives much of a fuck. Just ignore the whole thing altogether, IMO

Not a good idea. He might be ignoring it now, but I bet you if he simply ignores him, or says he won't do the commission than the kid will try his best to paint him as the devil. This is a 13 years old who most likely haven't matured yet.

AyGee either has to keep to his promise and stomach it, or properly try to talk it over with the kid and see where that goes. There is not "quit" option here. Not one that will end well.

Edited by Recel

Im pretty sure if he did change his mind and the kid threw a fit, most wouldnt sympathize with him. Its free art, he's not obligated to it. A lot of artists have a terms of service in which they explicitly state they have the right to refuse any commission for any reason. The same would apply even moreso to requests.

Besides, I think we're all thinking of worst case scenarios. Im sure if the situation was explained that as the artist he didnot feel the request suited his interests, the kid would just say 'ok' and move on. Clearly he was seeming to be disinterested to begin with...

Well, I'm thinking I'm just gonna slip those OC's in a pic down the line and call it a day.  It's not so much that this person is weird as much as they are just bland, and I feel like I'd be stooping quite a bit with my standards to make a dedicated drawing of Sans/Papyrus exbies.  It's the blatant copy/paste/add edginess characters that put me off most.  But... Yah, I'd rather not back out entirely; probably slip em into a background somewhere.

On 12/26/2015 at 2:12 PM, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Edit: Also aygee maybe if you didnt do art ofyour latex fetish you wouldnt get weird people :vvvv

dun kink-shame me ill tel tumblr on u :V