RAVE: eBay

Alexxx-Returns

eBay is the best! I'm selling all my textbooks from my first degree that I didn't use, and my old graphics tablet, a gear knob I got for my first car, and eventually a bunch of clothes I don't wear any more... getting rid of clutter and making a bit of money and good stuff getting another use.

What about buying on there though?! eBay is where I get most of my clothes from now, you can find the coolest, most unusual things on there, if that's what you're into. I've only had a couple of bad experiences of buying clothes on there so overall I'd definitely recommend it.

What have you guys bought or sold on eBay that you are particularly happy about? Or do you not like eBay? You can talk about that too ^.^

I fucking love eBay. I buy almost everything except food there. Almost any dvd I want for around $5. Discontinued earbud brands in sets of three. $7 cosmetically-flawed cashmere scarves. Barely used books for a reasonable price.  Sealed 80's CD copies of the original mix of "Live at Leeds" dirt cheap from a record shop in Canada. Hand-refurbished computers. Perfectly good iPhones and iMacs for less than half of their original retail price. 60% off Electric razors in slightly damaged packaging. Rare import collectibles. All under buyer protection. eBay rocks. 

I've bought a few random things on eBay, including an analog synthesizer, but I've never sold anything on there. Shipping has always seemed like a hassle, so I've opted for Craigslist instead. I'll probably get around to it someday, however. Probably for smaller items.

Edited by Xaende

1 hour ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Never used eBay. I don't trust the people enough as I've heard stories about it.

It's not so bad. As long as you check the seller over before buying, you won't run into much trouble. 95%+ of my 150 or so purchases have been painfree. And if you do have a problem, their buyer protection policy is really good. 

27 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

It's not so bad. As long as you check the seller over before buying, you won't run into much trouble. 95%+ of my 150 or so purchases have been painfree. And if you do have a problem, their buyer protection policy is really good. 

Yup second this. I'm having some trouble at the moment with a belt that's gotten lost in the post but the sellers are being good about it, and there's safeguards to protect you at each step of the way so I ain't worried.

The only completely bad experience I had on there was the swimsuit I got last year that was just so poorly made, it wouldn't fit around the ribcage of a normal human being, but I didn't have the heart to leave bad feedback so I just threw it out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Never used eBay. I don't trust the people enough as I've heard stories about it.

Here's the best part: You don't NEED to trust people on eBay.  You need to trust that the people on eBay fear eBay and PayPal.  PayPal sides -so hard- with purchasers over sellers that you could get something, have it be in mind condition, throw it off a cliff, tell eBay that it arrived to your door in damaged condition, and they'll almost CERTIANLY force the seller to send you a replacement or issue a refund.  Ontop of that, professional eBay sellers are pretty concerned about maintaining a positive rating that they will usually go the extra mile on their own just to keep a rating above at least 95%.

Pretty much the only thing you DO have to watch out for on eBay is careful wording.  As one example there are a TONNE of bootleg anime figures on eBay and they WILL say they are a bootleg but not by saying 'Bootleg' they will say 'Domestic China Version' or something like that. ...And they'll be like half to a third of the normal price.

eBay has a history of siding with the buyers so hard that their first version of the Seller Protection Policy explicitly stated it was to protect buyers.  Also, PayPal sides with the buyer so hard that, if there's no online tracking their reps can access, you can tell them you never received the item you used PayPal to buy even if the only way to receive it was pick-up with a bill of sale, and they'll refund you.