Weasyl To Open-Source Their Code

DrGravitas

In case you missed it, Weasyl has announced (via their Weasyl Dev Twitter) that they will be opening up their source code! While details and specifics are still being ironed out, they've also made an official announcement on their main page, stating:

"It has been our goal to go open source for a some time, and has taken longer than we'd hoped to get permission from everyone who contributed code during our three years of operation, but now it's finally happening!"

I think it's also interesting to note that they reported in their twitter that they closed their ImageTragick exploit hole on May 3rd. I am always happy to hear when a website or company decides to open up their source. It can be a tough sell when people/businesses aren't familiar with the concept. Even the initial twitter announcement is has a smattering of skeptical comments from community members.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Rabbit Head said:

Ummm... why Is this good? What does it mean for them to open their source code? What implications does that have? Sorry, I don't know much about tech.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, various technical furfags, but I believe its so that if a developer comes up with a feature or a solution with that code, they can use it and add it on.. and share, maybe? I read that minecraft is also open source, and thats how the mod community is so dang huge. 

1 hour ago, Lemon said:

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, various technical furfags, but I believe its so that if a developer comes up with a feature or a solution with that code, they can use it and add it on.. and share, maybe?

It really depends on the license you're using, but generally, you can create your own "fork" (or copy) of the project with the same license and make a variation of the original project if you so desire. You can also ask the original developer(s) to implement the code from the fork into their own codebase.
It's great because anyone who wishes can contribute to the project or use various parts of the project in their own, plus if the original developer(s) abandon it, someone can fork it and continue the development.

1 hour ago, Lemon said:

I read that minecraft is also open source, and thats how the mod community is so dang huge. 

Not quite. I believe it has been de-compiled, which doesn't let you see the actual code.
Most of the mods and mod loaders themselves, however, are open source.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

Ummm... why Is this good? What does it mean for them to open their source code? What implications does that have? Sorry, I don't know much about tech.

I'm not a programmer, but from what I know the general gist is that if you have something that's open source and there's a bug or something, someone can come along and fix it themselves instead of being forced to wait for an official solution.

• Like 1

"You're an idiot because I hate you" is the most admirable reasoning I have ever heard.
You may as well have just said "I don't want anyone to respect me ever and would prefer everyone think I'm petty". It'd make it easier on the lot of us. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, willow said:

Let's not

I'm somewhat familiar with the concept of open sourcing. Doesn't it just mean the code is available for anyone who wants to mess around with it and make improvements?

Yes, but it's the ones who want to play around for the opposite reason that have me worried 

11 minutes ago, GemWolf said:

Yes, but it's the ones who want to play around for the opposite reason that have me worried 

This is one of those risks you kind of have to deal with no matter who has access to it. But I think one of the bigger misconceptions here, and I could be wrong, is that you're actively making changes to the site 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricky said:

Pull requests? Are they using GitHub?

Er yeah pull requests. I always confuse the term. :-p

I assume they are since that's where Phoenix was developed. It's also where Charmander is currently doing something

Edited by root
Disregard, was thinking of FA instead of Weasyl
  • Like 1

Just now, Sir Gibby said:

w8 does this mean that they're allowing people to create their own websites easily based on the work done on weasyl, or does it mean that other users can improve the site themselves?

Depends on what license they use. Of course that doesn't mean everyone is going to obey that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

w8 does this mean that they're allowing people to create their own websites easily based on the work done on weasyl, or does it mean that other users can improve the site themselves?

If they already have an API it would be pretty easy.

For example I made a mobile webapp for Inkbunny that could be remotely hosted:

https://github.com/ericwilk/Inkbunny-Mobile

I believe Weasyl has a public API too, but I'm not 100% sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GemWolf said:

Do you instead believe that leaving these bugs for someone to discover at their own pace without the code is better?
At least this way it's easier to bugtest and you get more eyes on the code. Thus, it becomes harder to let a bug slip through.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, george99g said:

Do you instead believe that leaving these bugs for someone to discover at their own pace without the code is better?
At least this way it's easier to bugtest and you get more eyes on the code. Thus, it becomes harder to let a bug slip through.

It seems to work for many other open source projects.

It would be wise to have someone who knows how to pen test web applications go at it first, though,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

They've Put out the code! They even went so far as to provide a lovely little toy dataset comprised of a few staff's pages who volunteered, san private and personal info of course and with different passwords. It is indeed on Github and the license is Apache 2.0.

Pretty spiffy! I wonder if I can figure out why my submissions' preview images end up extra dark; maybe fix it myself XP

• Like 2