Rant/Rave: Starting Therapy

Sidewalk Surfboard

You've nothing to worry about, modern psychology has come a long way.

On the other hand if you get there and the room is covered with crucifixes, swastikas or (in extreme cases) blood, it's probably a good idea to quietly leave...

I've had some very positive experiences, especially with this one therapist who took a Jungian approach. He moved away, yet looking back, he had a lasting impact.

If they give you Thorazine right away, and strap you down to a bed, and the nurse's name is 'Ratched', you'll know you're in the wrong place.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Mainly, I've found talk-therapy to work best; SSRIs made me a mess, but individual results may vary...

I'd say "don't worry OP" but that'll be impossible. From all the research i've done on therapy though, the first session is really a "get to know each other" kind of thing. It'll be more clinical than anything else. I think it's because in order for insurance and shit to work, there has to be a diagnosis, so they'll basically be looking at that, but it won't be set in stone or anything. Just paperwork.

So yeah. Best of luck to you!

Are they going to fix your aspergers for ugly singing robots?

Because congrats

:V

Seriously though following you as long as Ive been youve had some weird and crazy issues insanely evident online (and Im not talking about your obsessions, but your panics and overreactions and emotional states)

Good to know that you're finally going to get some form of help to be a better person

Note: it wont work right away, or soon, or in a lifetime. But that doesnt mean you can every say "well it doesnt work" and write yourself off as never being fixable.

Because fuck it we all have to attempt improvement until we're dead, impossible as it may seem

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

My first session was yesterday. Nothing much happened, I'm going again on Monday. We talked about some things and she played Queen while we talked. I hope this helps in the future, because I really am a broken mess, and all I do is make people despise me.

I hope it helps too. Like I said, first session is usually pretty ... not much happens. Keep at it for a bit, and you know, feel each other out. Not all therapists are the right fit for everyone, so don't be afraid to cancel if it isn't working or you two aren't jiving. But you know, give it some time.

Wish you the best man. (and I don't despise you if that matters at all)

On June 24, 2016 at 7:59 PM, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

My first session was yesterday. Nothing much happened, I'm going again on Monday. We talked about some things and she played Queen while we talked. I hope this helps in the future, because I really am a broken mess, and all I do is make people despise me.

Well at least it wasn't Beethoven. 

• Like 2

I went again yesterday. I mentioned how I tend to take things personally, and how I get super angry over very minuscule things and how frequent my moodswings are. She ended up bringing up this idea of a "core belief", a belief that's deeply ingrained inside of you that pops up at certain times and that it makes us fear certain things because it tells us things whether or not they be true. She brought it up because I mentioned I fear abandonment from people I care about, and one of the reasons I said was because I would end up "being as bad as I always imagined".

On a brighter note, I brought one of my furbies to this session because she wanted to see it. I also was doodling the whole time, and for some strange reason she thinks I'm a good artist.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2016 at 6:53 PM, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I went again yesterday. I mentioned how I tend to take things personally, and how I get super angry over very minuscule things and how frequent my moodswings are. She ended up bringing up this idea of a "core belief", a belief that's deeply ingrained inside of you that pops up at certain times and that it makes us fear certain things because it tells us things whether or not they be true. She brought it up because I mentioned I fear abandonment from people I care about, and one of the reasons I said was because I would end up "being as bad as I always imagined".

On a brighter note, I brought one of my furbies to this session because she wanted to see it. I also was doodling the whole time, and for some strange reason she thinks I'm a good artist.

Sounds like a pretty good match, so far, and I hope it goes well.

I read my therapist some of my more serious poetry, then some of my comical, at times 'yiffy' furry fiction, and he was very encouraging, and also laughed a lot. We tend to make each other laugh a great deal, I'm not sure why, but it's like we have the same dark sense of humor, and I always leave feeling lighter. It's certainly been a big help for me. I mean, I still have my down times, but I'm also still alive, when I thought at times, maybe I would not be, and I've been more optimistic overall, about moving on to a new job, possibly back to Michigan, possibly to South Africa. 

It can take time, but I hope it gets you out of your emotional rut.