I fucking hate myself right now.

Jerry

Why on earth do I have the natural reaction of declining job offers?

Not shitty retail jobs on minimum wage. I'm talking about quality, permanent jobs with a bundle of social benefits, in large, stable companies. But because they're not PRECISELY diesel mechanic jobs I'm afraid of being told "this isn't exactly what you went to school for", so I decline. I'm too stupid to see other jobs as open doors to a good place with decent work conditions.

Somebody please punch me in the face, real hard. I wanna see blood.

i can somewhat relate, recently before i got my current job, i was just looking for an okay part-time minimum wage job.  but what'd i'd do is go in, ask for an application, go home, and throw it in the trash.  and i don't know why i did it

Ouch :[ lo siento Jerry...

Keep in mind, jobs are hard to come by (unless you get them enough if youre talented and certified), consider your situation, do you need money to live? Take the job, any job, especially if its a good job. Dont worry if its not 'what you do', that comes with time. Its better to have a job then no job. While youre in the job you hae you keep looking for a job you prefer.

Especially if its a GOOD job, sometimes people with no jobs have to take a shitty job before moving up

I think I was like you when I started looking for my first job when I was younger. I refused to work anywhere that wasnt in petcare field...but I kept looking and eventually landed a job in a boarding kennel (got lucky)

I can no longer rely on the same wants I have, though. I work retail now because I need to. Its not bad, I like it. I just dont want to stay.

Chin up, and hey, hopefully you do land that perfect job next time, if not though i suggest dont regret good offers

• Like 1

Many jobs have cross-benefits in what you can learn from them, this shows your new employers other skills youve shown in the past.

For me, its customer service, stock upkeep, answering phones, etc.

Even though my current job works with animals less, skills are transferable 

I think Im looking into landing reception +kennel tech next while going to school for vet tech

• Like 1

You've all got good points. Obvious shit but not to me apparently.

Even though it's a general machining job, it opens door to other positions. And it's in a reputable company.

3 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I'm gonna be blunt: Just take the fucking job. People are struggling to get jobs and you complain about how you turn them down.

You've made abundance your issue when many others can barely get by.

Perfect. That's what I need. You nailed it exactly on the head.

I'm heading toward failure and I'm the sole responsible for it. If I missed the train on this one, good for me, I got what I deserved. Maybe one day I'll wake the fuck up.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I'm heading toward failure and I'm the sole responsible for it. If I missed the train on this one, good for me, I got what I deserved. Maybe one day I'll wake the fuck up.

...Kudos for realizing that you need to wake the fuck up.  ...And then postponing it indefinitely. O.o

I did this a bit when I was younger and trying to land something English-y with an English degree. Then bills came and I was wishing I had taken some better paying gigs over the 8.50 an hour shithole I wound up working for over a year.

I did climb out, and now I'm doing some fun stuff that my degree helps with though. Took awhile, but it happened. Keep on going, but the next time something close comes around, you jump on that like a fat kid on cupcakes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

...Kudos for realizing that you need to wake the fuck up.  ...And then postponing it indefinitely. O.o

I was talking about that specific job. Thankfully I'm smart enough to apply on lots of job openings. What I'm saying is that eventually I hope I'll finally grow a spine and take a job.

15 minutes ago, Hux said:

You're a diesel mechanic? You should move to Massachusetts and we can start an marine repair business, yo. You can be my secretary.

I'll pay you in lobster.

At least I'll never be hungry. :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Now I feel bad for even making this thread in the first place, while I could just have STFU about it.

I don't even know what I want anymore...:S

hey hey man it's okay. if you need someone to talk to just DM me. lol i know we don't really know each other but i'll try to help if i can.

Dude, stop beating yourself up. It isn't doing you any favors. You are not doomed to fail, you are just trying to figure out where to go in life. Take it one thing at a time and focus on what's best for you. Having an open mind is a great idea. When opportunity comes knocking, are you ready to answer the call?

After all, life is what you make of it.

If you can afford to be out of work until you get into what you're certified to do, then big deal. Work is work and a career is a career. If being a diesel mechanic is what you want to do for a living, then don't sell yourself short...

On the other hand, if you're going to lose your shirt tomorrow because you don't want to work in a particular field, then you're an idiot, but I have my doubts on that.

• Like 1

On August 3, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Jerry said:

Perfect. That's what I need. You nailed it exactly on the head.

Cup has a point. if you are out of a job and need money, you need to take a job while searching for the one you want. Even if it is doing shitty servicing at a gas station, take it. Other than that, you are the only one gating yourself.

• Like 1