Rant: Things you're embarrassed about but shouldn't be

Feelwell

My piano teacher once forced me to preform a piece I didn't know in front of a couple hundred people. 

They applauded. 

I think that was one of the most useful lessons I ever had. If you're going to put yourself out, you have to be ready to embarrass yourself and you have to know that you'll survive it anyway as long as you do the best you are able. You may think you should like a whiny teen, but keep in mind the fact that most of your audience will not be experts.

• Like 2

I've said this before but there's nothing shameful about either writing or poetry. 
Anyone who says there is is probably an asshole scumbag whose opinion nobody should care about. 
Consider the source. 

Also no one's early work is a perfected artform. 
You need to work through the impurities to be free of them. It's a learning process.
And there should be no shame in honest expression, even if it is cringey.

I read some of that story you were writing and I thought it was absolutely great. I never finished it because I'm lazy like that but I never forgot about it. 

Edited by Endless/Nameless
i made a bad spell
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Newt said:

Drawing furries.

...no wait, that is embarrassing.

Saw this one a mile away.

In all seriousness it sort of can be for me sometimes (granted this isn't exclusive to furries)

I do a lot of pinup girls and I want to make that one fine lady that's actually worth putting effort into as a character even with an overt sex appeal. I think I made a really good one recently whose look works with her character. But every other time, giving them any semblance of development cringed me the fuck out. Even if it was just in my head and not expressed on the public upload. On the occasion I did, most people actually liked it...but back to what Endless said, they ain't experts. ;~;

So, I mostly stick to silent one off characters that I just give up sometimes. Makes me feel much better. I feel like I've only ever made a single character that's genuinely appealing. 

I know the feeling. Sometimes I feel that way about my art. I'm not even bad at it and one minute I'll be totally proud of the drawing I just made, then I'll notice all the artists that are leagues better than I am and wish I hadn't even bothered to post my stuff online. I also draw a lot of mermaids....you wouldn't know from looking at my gallery, but I really like mermaids and I draw them a lot. I know it's nothing to be embarrassed about but there are literal hundreds of sketches floating around in my files that will never see the light of day because they're either not good enough or they're of mermaids. 8P

I am so disgusted with anything I ever draw and write that I've pretty much given up on both practices, so I know the feeling.

I'm also pretty ashamed of my appearance sometimes, which is extra silly because even I can say that I'm objectively at least somewhat attractive, and I've had more than enough people tell me they think so too. It's just so easy to fixate on the negatives yaknow? I'm really trying to work on it since in my experience confidence can be as least as attractive as appealing physical features, if not moreso~

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Having leg hair. I've always been self-conscious about it and I didn't wear shorts often when I was younger. 

Honestly, I don't have much. But when I have the chance I always get a good waxing.

Yes, I'm embarrassed about that too, even though it's normal for men to have body hair.

I matured earlier than the other boys when I was at school and they teased me relentlessly for it.

I am so disgusted with anything I ever draw and write that I've pretty much given up on both practices, so I know the feeling.

I'm also pretty ashamed of my appearance sometimes, which is extra silly because even I can say that I'm objectively at least somewhat attractive, and I've had more than enough people tell me they think so too. It's just so easy to fixate on the negatives yaknow? I'm really trying to work on it since in my experience confidence can be as least as attractive as appealing physical features, if not moreso~

I think a lot of people feel that way about themselves no matter what level of skill their illustration demonstrates or how good looking they are.

• Like 1