Hush, little baby, don't you cry...

Faust

I can never remember the words to 'Hush little baby'. I get as far as 'If that looking glass gets broke' and that's it, I can't make the leap the 'Billy Goat' because it doesn't rhyme so I generally end up singing 'Papa's gonna buy you an artichoke' which is at least healthier and possibly tastier than the goat. Anyway that gave me the idea for this game!

I'll start the song in the traditional manner by naming what I'm going to get for little baby. The next person should then make up a rhyming couplet to follow on. The first line is always something bad that would happen to / because of the previous person's gift. The second line should be 'Papa's gonna buy you a _________' - fill in the blank with a new gift. The next person then spins off from this new gift with a new problem and a new (rhyming!) gift. Bonus points for staying in scansion.

You can play around with the basic format if you need to. If you don't finish by offering a gift, the next player can start the song again with 'Hush little baby...' and whatever fits the song.

e.g.

Player 1) Hush little baby don't you cry, Papa's gonna buy you a piece of pie.
Player 2) And if that piece of pie tastes bad, Papa's gonna buy you Leningrad.
Player 3) And if Leningrad's too far away, Papa's gonna buy something really gay.

...and so on. Hope that's clear! Here we go!

Hush little baby don't say a word,
Papa's gonna buy you an angry nerd.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...