About 5% of teens were in being stalked or in danger of being raped; about 90% think they were

Tyranno

Seems teenagers are so absurdly melodramatic

Been listening to some apparently true scary stories, and noticed whenever someone acquired an aggressor of sorts, they automatically assume this person's goal was to rape them, eriously, a story like "he said 'you're dead bitch' and pointed a gun at my face an pulled the trigger - clearly he was trying to rape me" wouldn't be out of place.

Also, there's this allegedly true (read: false) story about someone being abducted by people running a deep web site (she wrote and posted this while allegedly captured, and "still is" captured, except that clearly she never was captured), any time something sexual happens to her, she tried to write it like someone suffering trauma; anything else, she writes like what you'd see in an episode guide.

I blame postmodernism. Anything can be interpreted as rape if you're pretentious enough.

Nietzsche was right - today the debased is seen as virtuous and the virtuous is seen as debased.

We're all living in our own subjective reality. 

We're experiencing mass narcissism.

I'm not incoherent. I'm just Hux and Hux is always right in this reality.

Brb going back to my cave and my books.

Have a nice day, you ignorant conservatard.

tFRZd4Q.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saxon said:

...What?

Honestly I can't even tell what the point of your post is?

Annnoyed with the ridiculousness of "everyone with malicious intent wants to rape me" and the implied "but if they'd only wanted to murder me without the rape it wouldn't have been too bad"

2 minutes ago, Tyranno said:

Annnoyed with the ridiculousness of "everyone with malicious intent wants to rape me" and the implied "but if they'd only wanted to murder me without the rape it wouldn't have been too bad"

...Okay? I haven't come across anything like that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rhíulchabán said:

I'd be more inclined to engage with you OP if links and statistics were provided from reputable sources or any sources at all. Currently this lies pretty heavily in the "someone's opinion man" territory for me to feel up to discussing it.

(But I mean, this is rants and raves, so really it is just the opinion board)

Percentages used were just along the lines of "way more people claim they were raped and/or stalked than actually were", they aren't real percentages of anything

7 minutes ago, Tyranno said:

Percentages used were just along the lines of "way more people claim they were raped and/or stalked than actually were", they aren't real percentages of anything

Bitches love attention. You know what gets bitches attention? Being a damsel victim heroine lady Jesus.

Being a rape victim is super trendy, guys.

I hope an evil cis/hey white male "rapes" me so I can be, like, super popular on Tumblr.

Daddy gave cummies too hard. Plz give 2 Patreon pl0x

24 minutes ago, Rhíulchabán said:

I'd be more inclined to engage with you OP if links and statistics were provided from reputable sources or any sources at all. Currently this lies pretty heavily in the "someone's opinion man" territory for me to feel up to discussing it.

(But I mean, this is rants and raves, so really it is just the opinion board)

Yeah I noticed that too. If '5%' of teenagers really were being stalked by dangerous potential rapists that would be a national crisis, anyway. It's odd that it is touted as a small number.

Anyway, I think teenagers should be aware that there are people out there willing to take advantage of young, inexperienced and attractive people who can be easily pressured into consuming too much alcohol.
I'm not sure why this is dismissed as melodrama.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I like how you make a thread like this and don't post anything remotely close to a source. Love it!
Why do people on this forum continually do this? Make an extremely huge statistical claim and then post fuck all to support it. That is so annoying.

Because scientists have shown that the most intelligent people usually forget to post sources.

#science #wow #mindblow #hashtag

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

Yeah I noticed that too. If '5%' of teenagers really were being stalked by dangerous potential rapists that would be a national crisis, anyway. It's odd that it is touted as a small number.

Anyway, I think teenagers should be aware that there are people out there willing to take advantage of young, inexperienced and attractive people who can be easily pressured into consuming too much alcohol.

I'm not sure why this is dismissed as melodrama.

49 minutes ago, Tsuujou said:

I like how you make a thread like this and don't post anything remotely close to a source. Love it!
Why do people on this forum continually do this? Make an extremely huge statistical claim and then post fuck all to support it. That is so annoying.

39 minutes ago, Shiro said:

Seems like all this really did was start a widespread topic of rape throughout the forum. Without any statistical evidence of any sort to back up your claim, the amount of positive feedback you're going to get is very slim.

As stated before:

1 minute ago, Tyranno said:

As stated before:

...Oh god, we're not going there are we? The opposite is probably true.

Studies have repeatedly shown that most victims of rape don't report the crime:
http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php
https://www.ncjrs.gov/app/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=240972

(I've only glanced over these studies. There are just so many which reach this conclusion)

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

Studies have repeatedly shown that most victims of rape don't report the crime:

and that is entirely unrelated from non-victims crying rape for attention, barring the possibility that people who cry rape contribute to rape crimes not being treated seriously thus reducing numbers people involved in real crimes bothering to report them

Just now, Tyranno said:

and that is entirely unrelated from non-victims crying rape for attention, barring the possibility that people who cry rape contribute to rape crimes not being treated seriously thus reducing numbers people involved in real crimes bothering to report them

...Maybe we should avoid mocking people who say they have been raped for 'crying wolf', because that's probably a big reason why rape victims don't report their abusers.

I don't know why you think there are so many 'fake rape claims' anyway. Studies continually turn up surprisingly large fractions for the total proportion of women who experience rape in their life time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_the_United_States#Demographics

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I don't know why you think there are so many 'fake rape claims' anyway.

I'd say it's mostly because of the women who suddenly come out of the woodwork to claim rape against one guy after one woman makes an initial claim decades later. This seems to happen a lot with celebrities, and I find it hard not to be skeptical about it. There's also the women who claim rape against a man because they simply regretted having consensual intercourse, or both people were drunk and stupid at the time. Even if this only applies to a small minority of rape cases, each one hurts how people react to the genuine ones.

While some victims of traumatic experiences are, well, insufferable, reactions can't always be helped. Often the effects are situational. Paranoia is one common effect, and is not always proportional to the experience. 

And, people seeking attention does cause problems, as you say, which is certainly not healthy behavior. Still, crimes are not treated seriously only if people choose not to, and would prefer to risk a victim being treated unfairly to avoid popularizing some otherwise disjointed individual.

Considering there isn't much you can do for a stranger on the internet anyway, and that reading those kinds of stories are annoying, maybe the best thing to do is something else.

On 1/31/2017 at 5:50 PM, Saxon said:

...Maybe we should avoid mocking people who say they have been raped for 'crying wolf', because that's probably a big reason why rape victims don't report their abusers.

This.

I can attest that part of the reason I never reported my own experience was because I had no idea whether I'd even be believed. It's a crime that's really hard to prove without substantial evidence, being a victim of said crime carries a pretty nasty stigma and it affects how people react to you. It was years before I was even able to confess to my PARTNER what had happened much less speak about it on forums and the like and actually getting any kind of help or treatment was a pretty recent development. While it is true that you get people who make false claims for attention or out of some petty sense of revenge you're way more likely to hear from people who were sexually assaulted and never reported it or weren't taken seriously when they did. 

For me it is kind of a personal thing, when I find out someone DID lie about being raped or their idea of rape is getting tipsy and sleeping with someone who looks better with beer googles on, it's pretty infuriating. But in personal experience I've met significantly more people who didn't say a word about it than people who lied. 

• Like 1