[Claimed] Free 3D Rendered Canidea!

DrGravitas

EDIT: All Slots Claimed and confirmed.

Thanks everybody!

Please, no further responses requesting additional slots or expressing future interest. In the future, I may open for additional slots, (the title will be updated and a new post made) but no one who posts before that announcement will receive any special priority in slot assignment.

Work begins this Monday, but the first week will be slow due to after-hours work for my job.

_____

I feel like an experiment, so I want to see howl I can handle making multiple new characters start to finish for other people. Result will be a rendered picture, I can't give you the model itself obviously.

If you want to claim a slot, just post "I'll take one". You can edit in your ref or examples when you get them, since it's first come first serve

Only 3 Slots available and once they're claimed, that's it.

CHARACTERS MUST BE: FOX, WOLF, DOG, DINGO, JACKAL OR OTHER RELATED CANIDAE.

I can't guarantee the result will look anything like your chosen species (especially if you find some tricksey loophole canidae >:[ ) But I'll try. The general gist is that I will take one of my baselines and generate a new character with shape changes. It's not perfect, so don't expect it to look exactly like your char. In fact, they're going to end up pretty similar to my own chars. These will have fur colors, and I can probably do most kinds of markings.

Yes~! I can do WINGS 8D
Yes~! I will do fur (or not if ewe want)
Yes~! I have male and female baselines!
Sorta can do cybernetics, but it's going to look smooth and skin-like.
No~! I can't do multiple limbs.
No~! I can't do hair. That stuff's ridiculously difficult still.

If you want nsfw, you can have it but you can't get shots of both clean and nsfw. nsfw will be human bits. I will decide the poses, but suggestions maybe taken into account based on feasibility. Do please edit these specifics into your initial post after you claim a slot.

Expected duration: 3 days to 1 week, per slot.

(No, this is not an April Fool's Day Joke)

Edited by DrGravitas
All slots claimed and confirmed

54 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

You cannot do a roo then, can ye?

Afraid not :C

It takes me several months to do an entirely new model up to the same quality of my others. I am not exactly fast XP I have several scripts that allow me to quickly develop new characters that derive from baseline models of my characters (whom are all foxes). While this technique can extend into other species that are similar in nature, even those are expected to stretch my model's topology to their limits.

But, I am in the midst of developing powerful new scripts that will allow me to parcel out my models and carry forward select elements, eliminating rework to dramatically cut down model development.

Who knows, in a year's time I may be opening a thread with little or no species restrictions! Heh, I might even finish my pool setting by then too :V

All slots claimed. 1 slot char's suitability unconfirmed and may reopen. Work will begin once all characters confirmed to be suitable, beginning with Dev's character.

On 4/1/2017 at 1:55 PM, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

Fur'll Take One

My Jarvis McHeun character, wolf

NSFW http://www.furaffinity.net/view/18650704/

(To the left) http://www.furaffinity.net/view/17417121/

Please let me know whether you want a clean or nsfw render.

1 hour ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I would like one, if possible.

Once you get your ref ready, go ahead and edit it into your post so I can confirm suitability and being work on the set.

37 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

All slots claimed. 1 slot char's suitability unconfirmed and may reopen. Work will begin once all characters confirmed to be suitable, beginning with Dev's character.

Please let me know whether you want a clean or nsfw render.

Once you get your ref ready, go ahead and edit it into your post so I can confirm suitability and being work on the set.

SFW

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I would like one, if possible.

Here's Rolfe DeWolfe, the character I would like to be made (if possible). You don't have to give him clothes or his puppet or anything like that. I put up some pictures from a few different angles.

http://imgur.com/a/HfJnh

Hoo-boy... Uh, I can give it a shot if you want. It'll probably be pretty far off, given how its style is integral to recognizing the character.

44 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

I would like one if the others dont have suitable characters to fill it, I do like your work (still love the paw one, btw)

Glad you liked it! It does look like Sidewalk's character is going to be technically be suitable.

Buuuuuut... Since I've already got a shader network for your colors and Vexi Fox's char will be very straightforward with my baselines, I guess I can do one extra slot! :D I needed something to test wings anyhow.

So go ahead and edit in your ref.

But that's it. No more slots. Thanks everybody!

Please, no further responses requesting additional slots or expressing future interest. In the future, I may open for additional slots, (the title will be updated and a new post made) but no one who posts before that announcement will receive any special priority in slot assignment.

• 2 weeks later...

@DevilishlyHandsome49

58f009d6080bd_0412JarvisDevPost.thumb.png.8ad7556b29f99331c5a805d700285a61.png

Took a fair bit longer that I'd hoped, but the first result is in!

I struggled a bit with finding ways to make the fur interesting and I feel like it doesn't really scream "wolf". Body adjustments made included larger paws, larger hands, a wider and larger muzzle, thicker torso and muscles. I tried to used fur color to give the impression of abs that were otherwise to mild on the model to be really visible through the fur.

One of the more important things I tried out here was a new fur density expression. The expression distributes a larger portion of hairs to areas where the hair is shorter, resulting appearing less bald in those areas without significantly impacting the volume in areas with longer hairs. This seems to have worked out well and so I shortened the overall length of most the hair (extra length areas like the tail and cheeks were increased to compensate) and increased the total amount of fur. The result was only somewhat longer render times, but significantly fewer sparse areas and better expressiveness around the face and mouth.

The next attempt will be on Sidewalk's character. This will probably be a challenge...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Sidewalk Surfboard

5907d40f3f395_0430RolfePost.thumb.png.5fb775df06ddb65eb5f29c8424b13592.png

Sorry about this one :<

Seems I don't quite have the ability to pull that one off. Moreover, I'm sorry for the delays! I was not expecting to travel XP

I am not happy with these results at all. The fur is a mess; that length is difficult to work with. I ended up having to hide the tail completely, it just wasn't working out well. The sharp bits of the model show through quite a bit, especially at the knees and pelvis. The expression and pose are very dull, too. Blarg!

Vexi Fox is up next. With any luck, that won't take long as there is very little shape change work to be done.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

@Sidewalk Surfboard

5907d40f3f395_0430RolfePost.thumb.png.5fb775df06ddb65eb5f29c8424b13592.png

Sorry about this one :<

Seems I don't quite have the ability to pull that one off. Moreover, I'm sorry for the delays! I was not expecting to travel XP

I am not happy with these results at all. The fur is a mess; that length is difficult to work with. I ended up having to hide the tail completely, it just wasn't working out well. The sharp bits of the model show through quite a bit, especially at the knees and pelvis. The expression and pose are very dull, too. Blarg!

Vexi Fox is up next. With any luck, that won't take long as there is very little shape change work to be done.

I love it! He looks really fluffy! Thank you!

• Like 1

Don't know what system you're using for your fur, but maybe you can do something with a colour map?

The system I used to use allowed you to use point maps of various types to control the various attributes of the fur at that point, such as gravity effect, length, frizzyness and so on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Faust said:

Don't know what system you're using for your fur, but maybe you can do something with a colour map?

The system I used to use allowed you to use point maps of various types to control the various attributes of the fur at that point, such as gravity effect, length, frizzyness and so on.

I use 4-6 different greyscale maps to control various parameters. But, the formulas I use and the value ranges that the maps choose along are complex and I'm not always able to get the effect I want. Part of the problem in the last one was I was experimenting with exceptionally long hairs that I didn't use when developing the formulas, so it turned out they didn't work as well with that. I also didn't use as much variation in length because the character in question had fairly uniform fur. You can see a better example of those kinds of variations with Dev's Jarvis model above. Albeit the color scheme there is also very subtle and uniform, again due in part to the character requirements.

One of these days I'm going to get a more suitable ISP and then I'll just do a stream and show folks how my stuff works (and in some ways doesn't XP)

On 4/13/2017 at 6:30 PM, DrGravitas said:

@DevilishlyHandsome49

58f009d6080bd_0412JarvisDevPost.thumb.png.8ad7556b29f99331c5a805d700285a61.png

Took a fair bit longer that I'd hoped, but the first result is in!

I struggled a bit with finding ways to make the fur interesting and I feel like it doesn't really scream "wolf". Body adjustments made included larger paws, larger hands, a wider and larger muzzle, thicker torso and muscles. I tried to used fur color to give the impression of abs that were otherwise to mild on the model to be really visible through the fur.

One of the more important things I tried out here was a new fur density expression. The expression distributes a larger portion of hairs to areas where the hair is shorter, resulting appearing less bald in those areas without significantly impacting the volume in areas with longer hairs. This seems to have worked out well and so I shortened the overall length of most the hair (extra length areas like the tail and cheeks were increased to compensate) and increased the total amount of fur. The result was only somewhat longer render times, but significantly fewer sparse areas and better expressiveness around the face and mouth.

The next attempt will be on Sidewalk's character. This will probably be a challenge...

Well I'd say it's fairly convincing, the muzzle especially is different from your foxes so I think that works pretty well, cool!

• Like 1

@vexi fox

590ea452cb905_0507VexiPost.thumb.png.4787b8ce6b9cdf99ac36b22abfe52680.png

Yours was much closer to my standard models and fur maps, so it too less time to develop. I spent a little extra time working on the pose because of this. The lighting work could be better in this and there were problems with the fur on the face. But, overall I think this turned out fairly well. I used the same length-based density function I worked out on Dev's model and again I think that improves the face fur a bit. The bright orange shows off the hairs quite a bit more and made the eyelids stand out more than I would have liked. But I'm very happy with the pose and the overall expression.

Last up will be WolfNightV4X1!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I missed my targets rather badly towards the end here. But, I finally managed to get back to this.

@WolfNightV4X1

Sorry again for the delay, but I'm quite happy with how this one turned out at least! The wings only added about a day or so to final total. I had significantly more trouble with the body than expected, the model wasn't looking too good. But, once the fur was on, most of the parts I was disappointed in were fluffed out.

593b3c5802860_0609WolfNightV4X1VancePost.thumb.png.b437c417aa1c2d356f2d5305b59f676c.png

The wings were colored using scatter shaders used to simulate how light interacts with skin. I tweaked the parameters to treat it as a coloring agent.

The fur was fairly simple, as usual with my dynamic fur formulas in XGen. There was a slight difficulty when I decided to add a fourth color of fur. I could have skipped the black fur and just merged it with the body color, but I decided that if I couldn't do proper hair then I would at least try 4 colors. The maps were easy, updating the skin shader was easy, but updating the fur color choice formula turned into a pain. This is largely due to the terrible integration of XGen in Maya 2015 and its obscure error feedback. I didn't notice a function I was using didn't support the syntax I provided until well after trying numerous other things, thinking there was a problem with my complex logic. Unfortunately, this complexity is a necessity, coding around some pretty serious holes in the XGen script's feature set. But, my logic was correct and extended to four colors just as expected. The only issue was the one function that didn't support an arbitrary number of arguments.

The actual map painting process continues to be very difficult for me and the clumping results aren't as nice as I wish they could be.

• Like 8

Aw dude thanks so much! I'm sorry I forgot to respond when you had the delay but you know the wait worked out in the end.

The end result looks absolutely amazing! Its incredible and you're quite talented in your work!

Thanks a bunch I will totally upload with credit. Thank you!

• Like 1