[Rave] First Job

Feelwell

A thing about feeling nervous, it's going to happen for every new job you take on, and it's normal.

There's a pile of things to worry about when you're starting a new job, and especially your first job.

The trick is to go to work with a good attitude, make a good impression, and do your job as best as you can.

If you have a half-decent work ethic, you'll be fine, they'll tell you exactly what you're supposed to do to fulfill your role, and they should be there to help you out as soon as you have a question. A bonus to having somebody that you know that is familiar with the position is that you can ask them if nobody else can help you.

There's going to be anxiety for a bit no matter what, you have to meet new people, you have to learn your role, but trust me when I say that you'll find a niche to settle into. You'll meet people you would rather talk to over others, and you'll get to know them.

You'll feel a lot better when you get into the swing of things, and especially when your first paycheck comes in :D

• Like 3

Heeeeey, congrats!

Trust me dude it's totally worth it, money and all. Just be very aware of not making mistakes, fixing mistakes you do make, and working very hard and you should be fine. Honestly getting the job is the first hardest step, and you made it. Things should be uphill from there especially for future jobs.

If you ever need any help or are nervous ask coworkers and bosses for help. It'll be okay it'll start to sink in and you'll get used to it in no time!

• Like 1

Way to go! \o/

Great to see your excited about this and taking a proactive approach to managing anxiety or nervousness that you might expect to arise. That's precisely the right attitude to have here! I think you can handle it, too. WolfNightV4X1 has the right idea, too: Ask your coworkers or bosses/supervisors for things you're no sure about or anything you need help with. Every job has a period of adjustment spanning weeks or months, depending on numerous factors.

Congrats again on joining the working world!

On 5/14/2017 at 3:42 PM, Feelwell said:

So I finally got my first job.

Albeit with some help from my Mother, who already works there.

Ain't nothing like workplace nepotism to get an advantage over all the plebs.

I remember my first job. It sucked. Hot, sweaty, sun beating down on you all day, boss screaming in your ear, only for it to end with a pathetic paycheck with sunburn and acks. You know, a real mans job.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Ain't nothing like workplace nepotism to get an advantage over all the plebs.

I remember my first job. It sucked. Hot, sweaty, sun beating down on you all day, boss screaming in your ear, only for it to end with a pathetic paycheck with sunburn and acks. You know, a real mans job.   

What a man.

giphy.gif

On 5/14/2017 at 4:42 AM, Feelwell said:

Either way, I passed the interview, whether that was because I actually did well or because I was known, I've no idea. I think I did okay though.

Well done! I know people have said it before me, but nerves are totally normal!

During training for my first (paid) job as a cashier, I made so many mistakes - pressing the wrong buttons, giving the wrong change etc. etc. The lady who supervised me was not really impressed at all! But then I went in the next day with a much more refreshed and motivated attitude and did great! Then it all gradually became second nature.

Interestingly, I did some volunteer work a couple months ago at a charity place I volunteered at a good 3 years or so ago. I could remember literally everything off the top of my head - such as how to process donations, use the POS, and so on. Either that's totally normal or I have crazy good memory.

• Like 2

I have never gotten a job through knowing someone. Everyone I knew either didn't do a job I could stand doing, or didn't work at all. This was waaay back before applying online was a regular thing, so I ended up just printing off a hundred resumes or something and dropping them around to everywhere I thought I could stand working. Eventually someone said yes.

At the end of the day though, work's work. It doesn't really matter how you get it. :3

• Like 2