Oh No! 'Rainfurrest' is Might Stop Being a Thing!

PastryOfApathy

I don't think I've seen one that makes it out to be necessarily unjust. Not that I doubt they exist, but IME injustice isn't necessary and at any rate does not feature in all definitions.

But frankly, even if it was unjust—and I suppose arguably it could be, since not every single person displaying their fetish will necessarily cause problems—I still wouldn't care in the context of a con.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/discrimination

I think it's pretty damn justified if people go around, shitting on the floor, to ban a specific group of people from shitting on the floor.

EDIT: I find it necessary to point out that I mean ban everyone from shitting on the floor. 

Edited by Kaedal

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/discrimination

I think it's pretty damn justified if people go around, shitting on the floor, to ban a specific group of people from shitting on the floor.

EDIT: I find it necessary to point out that I mean ban everyone from shitting on the floor. 

Okay, I was still thinking about a ban on fetish gear rather than a specific problematic action. I don't think banning that is discrimination.

• Like 1

Create a terms of service and acceptable use policy for the Con.  Register attendees  with IRL verified names and valid picture ID documents.  Badge acceptance is implicit consent to the Con's TOS/AUP.  Identify hotel staff with the legal authority to process trespass requests and have them liaison with Con Ops.  Itinerant attendees are warned.  Persistent itinerant  attendees are banned and trespassed.  Returning bannees are automatically prosecuted criminally and civilly for damages; its a condition of tresspass and the Con is no longer involved.  Problem solved.

• Like 4

Let's keep in mind that whole "when in Rome" thing, too.

I know of at least two actual annual fetish cons, and neither RF nor any other furry con is one.  Access is restricted and behavior is regulated to keep them fun events for everyone.  That you've never heard of them (assuming you've never gone looking) should speak volumes about their attendees' behavior.

In speaking of which for your viewing pleasure.
8Mo8wry.png

Mo9hklm.png

Well, then somebody at the top needs to shit or get off the pot, and make the purpose of the convention crystal clear.

A convention that tries to be all things for all people is doomed to fall apart. RF can't be a fetish con and a family-friendly fur con at the same time.

Well, then somebody at the top needs to shit or get off the pot, and make the purpose of the convention crystal clear.

A convention that tries to be all things for all people is doomed to fall apart. RF can't be a fetish con and a family-friendly fur con at the same time.

Not unless you have a really weird idea of what is "family-friendly". I don't even know what the hell the upper management has said or done about it, but the fact that people are calling it a fetish con is pretty weird in itself. It's producing images of an F-List oriented convention, and that's... not really a con I want to attend.

The furry fandom seems to have this identity issue.  Even in the Kink scenes, everyone understands what is and isn't acceptable at a given venue and it's explained pretty clearly.  The furry conventions seem to muddy the things, where they edge into confusing waters like; 'Collar, okay, leash, well, maybe not at AC, oh sure the sandwich place down the street is giving away dog bowls (Really, the sandwich place by AC that eventually closed gave out dog bowls proportionally), no wait please stop eating out of the dog bowl on your hands and knees, oh yeah we have a cub area for the babyfurs, but we've not made anything clear on the rest of the con'.  And the furry cons seem resistant to making their rules clear and defined.  Like, this whole leather pup in a diaper thing oculd have been solved simply with 'Yes, you have to wear some kind of bottom, be it pants, a skirt, kilt, dress, or something that has a definite 'bottom'.'

• Like 6

Well, and the Twitter feed featuring the pic of the dude in the fetish mask and the diaper even had a couple of people saying that RF is a "fetish con" and people need to be accepting and deal with it.

So, RF needs to make its mission statement abundantly clear, as there appear to be people who either believe earnestly that it's meant to be a true fetish con, or who are keen to turn it into a fetish con for their own purposes.

While I have frequented a kinkster/BDSM coffee house in the past, gone to a couple of sex clubs, and attended polyamory lunch gatherings, I just don't get the point of having a convention (whether real or imagined) geared towards sexual fetishes. I personally don't feel the need to meet and greet people solely for the purpose of sharing or expressing my kinks, or finding other people who share my kinks---especially if I have to pay for a hotel and airfare to do it! All of the kinksters I socialize with are people with whom I share interests, values, hobbies, or personality traits in common, first and foremost---everything sex-related is secondary, or even, tertiary.

At an even more basic level, I just don't get the appeal of flaunting your kinks and fetishes, period!

Edited by Troj

I think the conventions are just damn lucky to have venues that are understanding and tolerant. I think it's tough to figure out what lies in the grey area and what doesn't. Even I'm prone to hypocrisy in this area, I suppose. I wouldn't want to see someone wear a diaper in plain view, because I don't find it appealing. I see the appeal of collars and leashes. I wouldn't mind if someone wears a collar, but if someone has a leash attached to it, that crosses the line for me. Unless it's in private, of course, or pre-arranged. But in public, it seems... unnecessary.

I think the conventions are just damn lucky to have venues that are understanding and tolerant. I think it's tough to figure out what lies in the grey area and what doesn't. Even I'm prone to hypocrisy in this area, I suppose. I wouldn't want to see someone wear a diaper in plain view, because I don't find it appealing. I see the appeal of collars and leashes. I wouldn't mind if someone wears a collar, but if someone has a leash attached to it, that crosses the line for me. Unless it's in private, of course, or pre-arranged. But in public, it seems... unnecessary.

Well, and it strikes me that part of the challenge with the grey area is that many seemingly "innocent" things have certain fetishy or sexual connotations. If you're out of the loop, a guy on a leash is just odd or funny, but if you're in the loop, you know that's fetishy. Once upon a time, I wouldn't have thought twice about otherwise-clean pictures of babyfurs or kidfurs, or of furries being cartoonishly inflated, or getting cartoonishly fat, or even, predators cartoonishly swallowing prey--but, now I know that these themes relate to certain fetishes, so I'll blush at a picture that a non-furry would simply find cute or weird.

Some people who know better sometimes try to argue that their fetishistic expression is non-fetishistic in order to get away with it.

Because some people already see furry as just a sexual fetish, they'll have their "sex goggles" on when looking at the fandom, and will interpret even genuinely-innocent stuff through a sexualized lens. Anything suspect or sketchy that they happen to see or hear will serve to affirm their preconceived notions.

Because of this, cons like AC have to work extra hard to police even remotely iffy or yiffy behavior.

• Like 1

It is impossible for me to care about it. From the rumors, stories and folks I know who went there and what they told me, it is probably for the best. The behavior sounds like it was completely off the rails there. This is like juggling flaming sticks and then whining when you catch one the wrong way and burn your hand.

It has gotten so bad even at the small conventions I have quit going. It isn't worth sitting through 3 hours of waiting to fly, getting groped, fondled and mishandled like a criminal at the airport after having to spend hundreds of dollars to fly. It is not worth sweating about whether the suitcases with my fursuits in them will make it to the far side of my flight going or returning. It is not worth the nonsense of arranging the time off, hotels, flights, rental cars or taxis etc. The next vacation, I make will be somewhere where I can escape and likely someplace where I can drive.

There are too few events at the conventions which appeal to me. all the trouble is not worth being exposed to stuff I find disgusting and offensive outside the panels and activities where I participate or assist in the panel.

the only way I think that conventions are going to survive the long term is for the MC's and organizers of these cons need to get together, codify a common set of rules, by-laws and codes of conduct and stick to them.

Edited by Skylar Husky
  • Like 2

I see nothing suggesting this person speaks authoritatively for any convention.  Also, this thread is more representative of babyfurs in response to the one you screencapped.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that. I just thought it was funny and figured it gives an insight in to the kinds of people who defend this kind of behavior.

Sure, but there's more to conventions than product sales.

I just don't see the point of paying airfare and a hotel fee so you can wander around in a diaper, and meet other people who also enjoy wandering around in diapers.

Even if I were into diapers, I'd still find that equal parts embarrassing and boring.

Clearly I'm missing something here.

In the same vein, I don't understand the folks on FA whose accounts are devoted largely or, especially, exclusively to one fetish. I can't relate to only being into one non-sexual interest or hobby, period, let alone one fetish, period. Sex just doesn't play that big a role in my life or identity as it is.

ZandNtogether.JPG

Edited by Troj

Me reading that a furry con could be shut down. 

All I ever hear is bad news which is why even if I liked conventions, I'd rather pay to go to church than go to a furry convention for free. Seriously, EVERY furry con I hear about has a huge problem. And don't tell me it's one bad apple or something like that because the TREE produces the poisoned fruit. This fandom has so many enablers preaching tolerance for fucking morons. That's why this sort of shit is a repeated issue.

Kick them out and let them make their own freak show con where they wear soiled diapers, have their AIDS ridden orgies, and smear shit all over their own establishment they have that's preferably underground in another galaxy of a different reality.

So yeah, shut it down. Maybe if everyone's fun is ruined some eyes will open.

• Like 3

In a shocking turn of events the most prestigious fetish convention in the world, 'Rainfurrest' might get booted from the hotel that hosts it!

Even after people shit/jerked off into their hot tube, threw used diapers at peoples carsdrilled glory holes in their public bathroomsand let this happen, fucking assholes. Some say fursecution is dead, I say they're dead wrong. We must fight this persecution by showcasing furry pride worldwide and stand united against those who wish to oppress our lifestyle, and our right to furiously masturbate to pictures of dogs fucking in public.

Show your support by tweeting with the hashtag #furrypride2015 and by donating to our kickstarter. Thank you furends! :3c

........ I don't know what to say it's already bad enough that first one con is permanently closed and now this. Sadly it seems common sense does'nt apply to conventions. and seriously glory holes in a hotel a very popular hotel?! what the hell that's not acceptable behavior.

Hopefully 0%. The shitstorm while it was going on was some of the funniest shit I've seen in a while, made even more hilarious by virtue of having fucking Taylor Swift in attendance of all fucking people.

Are you really serious? Taylor Swift.

Edited by RTDragon
Adding information

Hopefully 0%. The shitstorm while it was going on was some of the funniest shit I've seen in a while, made even more hilarious by virtue of having fucking Taylor Swift in attendance of all fucking people.

I can't if you're trolling or if you were successfully trolled into thinking Taylor Swift was the GoH at Rainfurrest...

So, RF needs to make its mission statement abundantly clear, as there appear to be people who either believe earnestly that it's meant to be a true fetish con, or who are keen to turn it into a fetish con for their own purposes.

The furry convention most local to me struggled with this for a while. It wanted to be "open to everyone" (family friendly) while simultaneously allowing "freedom of expression" and "embracing the many aspects of the fandom." Hooray, twin gods that can never be appeased! It didn't take long for those two ideas to end up in a deadlock for control. But, eventually, the attendees consistently and antagonistically pushed the boundaries around freedom of expression/embracing the fandom far enough that a code of conduct and other rules got written and enforced with a quickness. Unsurprisingly they ran into the same problems RF is facing now, ranging from how attendees were interacting with non-attendees in the hotel public spaces to just flagrant, bullshit behaviors and wanton destruction. It's one thing to "happily be yourself" and another just to be a flaming prick who is looking for attention any way you can get it.

Honestly, I think every con has to go through this experience because they think "that would never happen with OUR attendees." Oh my precious, precious children -- of course you will. And you're going to be reactive and make poor decisions, unless the folks who are leading and staffing your con have worked at other cons and watched how they handled these scenarios. That seems to be the only way to avoid the issues in the first place postpone the inevitable rectification.

At an even more basic level, I just don't get the appeal of flaunting your kinks and fetishes, period!

Unrelated to cons as a whole, so I don't want to derail here, but I'll divert to say this is something that has stuck in my throat as well. I've taken issue with how most gay pride parades are handled for years. To me there is a cognitive dissonance of going amongst a public base that is almost perfectly split 50/50 about how it feels it should vote as regards enforcing you basic human rights and shouting, "Hey, we're just like you! Accept us! Don't fear us!" while you walk down the street wearing a leather bandana, nipple rings and nothing else. I get that the "pride" part of those parades is about not being ashamed of who you are (see above embracing of aspects of the fandom) but it just seems counter-productive to me because it is just comes across as a version of Squick The Mundanes. Not being ashamed of what you do in your bedroom, with your partner? That's fine. Flinging it around on Lake Street in Chicago, just because you can for the next 3 hours? Much less of a fan of that idea.

And the furry cons seem resistant to making their rules clear and defined.  

See above for "hope springs eternal" and "we don't learn from the pain of others unless we were there first-hand."

Solution: Ban all furry conventions. 

aliens-nukefromorbit.gif

You can't shit in the pot if you already filled your diaper. 

• Like 3

This now has me wondering if Disney is watching Lol
They may want to rethink about Zootopia and embracing the Furry crowd.
I know I would be thinking about it, are they worth the damage caused, and how can I milk these idiots for cash?

Also want to bet some idiot babyfur will show up in dress to the movie?

Edited by Charrio
  • Like 1

This now has me wondering if Disney is watching Lol
They may want to rethink about Zootopia and embracing the Furry crowd.
I know I would be thinking about it, are they worth the damage caused, and how can I milk these idiots for cash?

Why on EARTH would you think that Zootopia is 'made for furries'?  It's a 'funny animal' movie, Disney has been making 'funny animal' movies since before Hitler's rise to power, the only difference here is that this one is CGI.  Oh sure, Furries will flock to it, but that's not the target audience.  Robin Hood, Tale Spin, The Three Caballeros, none of these made for furries and Zootopia isn't for furries either.

• Like 3

Why on EARTH would you think that Zootopia is 'made for furries'?  It's a 'funny animal' movie, Disney has been making 'funny animal' movies since before Hitler's rise to power, the only difference here is that this one is CGI.  Oh sure, Furries will flock to it, but that's not the target audience.  Robin Hood, Tale Spin, The Three Caballeros, none of these made for furries and Zootopia isn't for furries either.

Because they want to be trendy, there are some terms in their ads that are quite furry centered.
They may be looking at a wide audience but it's definitely got a furry vibe on purpose

Why you gotta mention Hitler? 

That's just too odd.

Because they want to be trendy

...How on EARTH is 'funny animal movies', the same thing that they've been doing since the 1920s, 'trendy'?  I don't think that you know what 'trendy' means.  Hell, the furry fandom is effectively BORN from Disney, Warner Brothers, and other animation studios over the past 80 years.  Even though it was by accident, they created the furry fandom, they are the popculture inspiration for the whole thing, they don't have to be 'trendy' and 'attract furries' because they've been doing it by coincidence longer than you've been alive.

• Like 1

...How on EARTH is 'funny animal movies', the same thing that they've been doing since the 1920s, 'trendy'?  I don't think that you know what 'trendy' means.  Hell, the furry fandom is effectively BORN from Disney, Warner Brothers, and other animation studios over the past 80 years.  Even though it was by accident, they created the furry fandom, they are the popculture inspiration for the whole thing, they don't have to be 'trendy' and 'attract furries' because they've been doing it by coincidence longer than you've been alive.

There is a difference between funny animal cartoons and ones hitting a new beat going at specific fan sections.
In my opinion they are playing on popularity so they can sell accessories and other crap fans and furry fans will eat up rabidly.

They have marketing specialists who have been studying the numbers for years, I am guessing they know how to play us.
Not always successful but enough to keep making money and laughing

There is a difference between funny animal cartoons and ones hitting a new beat going at specific fan sections.In my opinion they are playing on popularity so they can sell accessories and other crap fans and furry fans will eat up rabidly.

They have marketing specialists who have been studying the numbers for years, I am guessing they know how to play us.
Not always successful but enough to keep making money and laughing

So you believe that Disney, which has been making 'funny animals' for 80 years, has changed things up by... getting Jason Bateman to voice the talking fox, is all part of a grand marketing scheme, where they have spent $150 million dollars, to appeal to a tiny, niche fandom whos largest convention can barely break a measly 6000 people in attendance, because 'marketing specialists'?

That's insane.

Personally, I don't think I buy that Zootopia caters to us. Furry has been growing a little bit, but it's a fairly niche demographic to spend millions creating a movie for. I could understand if it was something lower budget and they hired or referenced key figures in the furry community, but that's not the case. I doubt it ever will be.

• Like 2

Personally, I don't think I buy that Zootopia caters to us. Furry has been growing a little bit, but it's a fairly niche demographic to spend millions creating a movie for. I could understand if it was something lower budget and they hired or referenced key figures in the furry community, but that's not the case. I doubt it ever will be.

So you believe that Disney, which has been making 'funny animals' for 80 years, has changed things up by... getting Jason Bateman to voice the talking fox, is all part of a grand marketing scheme, where they have spent $150 million dollars, to appeal to a tiny, niche fandom whos largest convention can barely break a measly 6000 people in attendance, because 'marketing specialists'?

That's insane.

I may be wrong and probably am wrong but nothing is done without reason.
I'm always suspicious it's my nature

Agreed. This is the same logical fallacy as saying that El Lince Perdido (The Missing Lynx in English) was created to capitalize on the furry market, versus the traditional audience of family-friendly, children-oriented films. Let's not over-inflate our sense of importance here.

I may be wrong and probably am wrong but nothing is done without reason.
I'm always suspicious it's my nature

And 'Because it's what they've always done and it's always made money, but they made it a bit hipper and put in Jason Batemen' is doesn't seem like a plausible reason to you, there has to be a 'true reason'?

I'm actually hopeful that more will be cancelled for reasons like this just so that furries will finally have to start weeding out the people who cannot moderate their behaviour in public.

I've tried, I've tried, I swear. But apparently it's illegal in at least 49 out of 50 states (Texas is questionable), and D.C. and Puerto Rico, to bludgeon someone half to death with a baseball bat. Remove those oppressive big government restrictions and I'll deal with the problem myself.

Well.......... that really depends upon the 'public'.

Example: I'm a member of a rather free community known as Radical Faeries. Over at Short Mountain in Tennessee, half of the population walks around naked, and it's a quite public area. I'm out of the car nude the second I hit the land's border. Sure it's out in the middle of nowhere but it's still open to the public as a non-profit educational/religious area.

As I stated before - it is called CrinkleCon for a reason.

The New York Times had an article about that place a couple months back. This is the place you're talking about, right?

Unrelated to cons as a whole, so I don't want to derail here, but I'll divert to say this is something that has stuck in my throat as well. I've taken issue with how most gay pride parades are handled for years. To me there is a cognitive dissonance of going amongst a public base that is almost perfectly split 50/50 about how it feels it should vote as regards enforcing you basic human rights and shouting, "Hey, we're just like you! Accept us! Don't fear us!" while you walk down the street wearing a leather bandana, nipple rings and nothing else. I get that the "pride" part of those parades is about not being ashamed of who you are (see above embracing of aspects of the fandom) but it just seems counter-productive to me because it is just comes across as a version of Squick The Mundanes. Not being ashamed of what you do in your bedroom, with your partner? That's fine. Flinging it around on Lake Street in Chicago, just because you can for the next 3 hours? Much less of a fan of that idea.

See above for "hope springs eternal" and "we don't learn from the pain of others unless we were there first-hand."

Well, again, an event has to be willing to set the tone and make its expectations clear to everyone.

There are pride events that are quite family-friendly, and pride events that are not. There are many pride events that have a mix of adult and family-friendly events and elements. 

I'm fine with a pride event having some adult elements, as long as everyone understands that those elements may be present, and is willing to tolerate or deal with what those elements may bring.

I'm also probably a bit more tolerant or easygoing about what happens at pride because it's arguably reasonable to expect that a festival celebrating people of different sexual orientations will have some sexual elements.

I'd also potentially argue that the purpose and the spirit of a pride parade is also somewhat different from the purpose and spirit of a fur con, even though there is some overlap to be found as well.

In other news, I liked El Lince Perdido. It exceeded my expectations.

It seems like the advertising for Zootopia has contained a few subtle furry nods, but it's hard to say, given that none of those possible nods have been particularly blatant or overt.

There's nothing to be suspicious of.

Disney's Secret Plan That Is Unthinkable:
1) Sell a bajillion movie tickets
2) T-shirts, stuffed animals, Zootopia: The Video Game
3) Sell a tonne digital rentals and streams.

4) Halloween costumes, iOS Zootopia puzzle game that's is really just a clone of Columns, bed sheets
5) Sell all of the Blu-Ray and DVD discs as possible
6) Posters, sneakers, and Christmas ornaments
7) Re-release it for home video and streaming five years later, say it was in 'The Disney Vault' and now it's in 4K!  Pay up suckers!
8) Let's reprint those t-shirts!
9) Buy a boat made of solid gold, because the super secret plan to 'sell a thing to make money' wasn't discovered by the conspiracy theorists!

• Like 1

Create a terms of service and acceptable use policy for the Con.  Register attendees  with IRL verified names and valid picture ID documents.  Badge acceptance is implicit consent to the Con's TOS/AUP.  Identify hotel staff with the legal authority to process trespass requests and have them liaison with Con Ops.  Itinerant attendees are warned.  Persistent itinerant  attendees are banned and trespassed.  Returning bannees are automatically prosecuted criminally and civilly for damages; its a condition of tresspass and the Con is no longer involved.  Problem solved.

Conventions already have that in place in the case of an attendee violating the con rules and regulations and if the law has to get involved. Hotel upper management can issue trespassing notices to said offenderas well.

Edited by Ozriel

Disney's Secret Plan That Is Unthinkable:1) Sell a bajillion movie tickets
2) T-shirts, stuffed animals, Zootopia: The Video Game
3) Sell a tonne digital rentals and streams.

4) Halloween costumes, iOS Zootopia puzzle game that's is really just a clone of Columns, bed sheets
5) Sell all of the Blu-Ray and DVD discs as possible
6) Posters, sneakers, and Christmas ornaments
7) Re-release it for home video and streaming five years later, say it was in 'The Disney Vault' and now it's in 4K!  Pay up suckers!
8) Let's reprint those t-shirts!
9) Buy a boat made of solid gold, because the super secret plan to 'sell a thing to make money' wasn't discovered by the conspiracy theorists!

I see you're one of them... Nice try but you can't sucker me in.
(Joking of course)