Evil Basements

MissFleece

I remember my grandparents' basement, my grandfather dug the damn thing out himself. The ceiling was maybe 5 feet high so you have to stoop to even get into the place, there were no lights or anything, just wood supports and dirt. And of course, it was full of spiders, not your regular run-of-the-mill "spider webs here and there", but armies of spiders, scuttling around everywhere. There were also centipedes, harvestmen (those not-really-spiders with the really long legs), earwigs, and a whole host of other horrors, locked in mortal combat in this horrible arthropod jungle. Don't even get me started on the attic, or how the entire house itself was crawling with insects.

It was these childhood experiences that solidified my stance of never living in the country.

I think the creepiest basement I have ever visited was the basement in the Winchester Mystery House.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Mystery_House

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/photogallery.cfm

Sarah Winchester, who was married to William Wirt Winchester, the famous Rifle manufacturer, outlived William. She moved from Boston to San Jose, California and moved into a house to begin renovations to a farmhouse there. A medium told her that the ghosts of people brought down by her husband's guns would continue to haunt her. In an effort to confuse the ghosts or spirits, she just built and built on the house for decades until her death. There were stairs to nowhere, doors into thirty foot (10 m) shafts, bathrooms which did not function and a whole host of odd and eccentric things going on. Part of the daily tours available include a tour of the grounds and basement. The basement was a creepy place there. It was unfinished and had dirt inside it. It was a place for all sorts of creepy crawlies at one time.

The house serves as an Inspiration to Stephen King's book, Rose Red and subsequent movie.

sewage backup (if you live in the wrong place).

sewage backup

sewage backup

sewage backup

I'm having flash backs to the beginning of the year. X(

My basement started backing up. Happened a couple times. Ended up dropping ~4K on repairing the out-sewage pipe, which had separated due to sagging land. Could have been worse. I almost had to have a big chunk dug out of my landscaping and possibly lose my part of my sidewalk in the process. Fortunately, I found a company with a very interesting inner lining solution (they basically cure a new, stronger pipe inside the current pipe.) Came with a 10 year parts and labor all inclusive warranty, too!

Edited by DrGravitas

Don't kill spiderbros. They just want to kill flies and other insects that would annoy you.

I have to if I go down there though, usually I leave them the fuck alone. If I don't bomb it before I go down they're EVERYWHERE and I can't handle it. I have a low tolerance for things touching me without my consent.