Evil Basements

MissFleece

Okay, so lets start off by saying that I did NOT choose my house. My house was chosen by other people and given to me. I am not snubbing my nose at a gift! It's a nice house! Buuuut

the fucking basement

Let me tell you.

Have you ever seen one of those Michigan basements? The ones that aren't quite finished, with dirt all around? 

It's one of those.

The hair on my neck stands up if I have to go down there, it's so spooky. The stairs are old and rickety, and it needs more work than I'm willing to give. It looks like something you'd shoot a scary movie in.

But that's not the worst thing, 

See, since I'm too creeped out to go down there, I kind of quarantined it. If someone asks if I have a basement, the answer is fuck no. And that allowed the spiders to thrive.

Now it didn't seem like too big of an issue, any time I needed to go down for a length of time, I'd throw a bug bomb down first and wait it out. And I know bug bombs don't disintegrate webs, I go down with a broom first to clear the way, but I felt it was rude this time to destroy living spiders' hard work. 

I forgot the bug bomb this time though...

HUUUUGE ASS SPIDER WEBS, and I didn't notice they were there until they were in front of my face. Like, these things are so big, and they have egg sacs all over.

God I'm still so grossed out. And I like spiders! I've had pet spiders. I don't know what's wrong with me. 

Fucking spiders. Why you gotta make big ass webs? Why not live in a corner or some shit, instead of claiming half my basement? 

• Like 2

I didn't know that was common in Michigan. Care to post some pictures?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL6ahqA2QWdr5BYDD0vDj

It's kind of like this, but instead of the wall near the top, it's just dirt. You can see the pipes to everything and the underside of the house like this

jsw_dscn1056_416x312.jpg

I can take pictures tomorrow but I'm not going down there again tonight. 

Whenever we stayed at my aunt's house when I was really small, I refused to go down there because I thought dragons were down there. LOL. But she eventually had the floor of it paved professionally with concrete, Then one time all of my father's brothers and sisters came up and we decked it in and finished out the walls with drywall. After that, it was not nearly as spooky.

And yes, your house, not the spiders. Spiders go squish now.

Edited by Skylar Husky
  • Like 2

If you have spiders with many eggsacs and large webs, usually means they are feeding well.
Feeding well on WHAT is the key question, and removing them might let more of the things it's been eating populate.

That's mainly why I let them do their thing when I'm not down there. The basement is just straight dirt, all the way back...

Hold on, Imma lady up and go take pictures.

In an old house my fmaily used to live in, we used to have a basement that looked very much like the one out of Silence of the Lambs. My mother saw that movie once when it came out, and she said she never went into that basement again afterwords.

Edited by Luca

tl;dr: basement spooky. Spiders. Bleh. 

Looks like any other scruffy basement to me.

If it's big enough I'd consider making it livable. A nice wine cellar, utility room, or simply a place to chill-out. It's 6-7 days of working tops. Two payments if you decide to hire someone to do all the job for you.

One day for cleaning.

One day for conservation

Two days for brickwork

One day for electricity and stuff

One day for tiling and smoothing

One day for painting

Edited by Ayattar

I prefer chilling on the attic... At least it doesn't feel like I'm in the bowel of the house.

Basement is my favourite place to spend Christmas, when visiting grandparents. A bed, book and electricity is all I need.

It's fully finished and furbished.

I used to not mind basements until I read this terrifying fictional horror story.

Nope.

No.

Never again.

Good thing they're pretty uncommon in the country I live in.

That reminds me of the time a Neighbor woman like 2 blocks away killed her husband and cut him up into pieces and then tried to hide the body in plastic bags she stuffed into the walls. It didn't work to say the least.

That reminds me of the time a Neighbor woman like 2 blocks away killed her husband and cut him up into pieces and then tried to hide the body in plastic bags she stuffed into the walls. It didn't work to say the least.

What a dumb woman. Instead of bags we use barrels. Marinated infants. Supposedly delicious.

So! Keep in mind that I'm 5ft tall and I had to duck to not hit pipes and shit.

Spooky ass stairs

NTf7p29.jpg

Pipes and dirt

4qGDi4h.jpg

More of the spooky stairs

kHqQqv2.jpg?1

More pipes and shit

BFlgsEC.jpg

whatever the hell this is

SJt8ibT.jpg

This is the clearest shot of the spiderwebs I got, this web goes all the way from the wall to the pole from top to the floor. 

0hmiwVt.jpg?1

Sorry for potato quality, my camera is a piece of shit. 

Basement is my favourite place to spend Christmas, when visiting grandparents. A bed, book and electricity is all I need.

It's fully finished and furbished.

If you Google the word basement. it'll show pictures of nice looking living spaces that look like its not used for storing junks. I'm assuming yours looks the same?

That's terrifying! D:

Must've smelt foul.

God yeah it did, I was a kid at the time and when the news hit, that house was like cursed or such no one wanted to be near it.

What a dumb woman. Instead of bags we use barrels. Marinated infants. Supposedly delicious.

LOL, I have to assume she wasn't thinking and just panicked and thought, "Yeah plastic bags hold meat so that will work"

Your camera just likely needs the f-stop function adjusted to allow more light in. They take blurry pictures because the image is too dark and the shutter has to remain open longer to get a better image. I noticed this with a camera I had for a convention. Daytime pictures are usually better.

But yeah, you have a spooky basement, no doubts. I hated whacking my head on crap going down in the one at my grandparents. We are all tall. I am 6' 1" (185 cm) and I am the runt in my family. 

I must admit, planning of that house is terrible. If I understand it correctly, there is like, a huge-ass chink, as that visible on photo no 2 in every direction? With pipes and cables going there?

If so, there is nothing that can be done, unless you decide wall them up.

If you Google the word basement. it'll show pictures of nice looking living spaces that look like its not used for storing junks. I'm assuming yours looks the same?

Small and not half as fancy but yes.

Edited by Ayattar

We don't have a basement, but my room used to be the attic in this house when it was still a bungalow. The house got renovated about 15 years before we moved into it in 1999 - after originally being built in 1937, leaving plenty of time for spiders to move in too - when the second floor was added the attic got converted into a bedroom. So now it's my bedroom.

It's fucking great bedroom too - nice and roomy and warm - but the bad thing is it's got a TONNE of spiders because it used to be an attic. I think there must be a space between the roof and the other side of my ceiling because that's where they seem to come out of through little holes in the wood. Thankfully because I live in the UK they aren't harmful, but goddamn are they fucking creepy and scare the hell out of me when they pop up out of nowhere.

Edited by Sutekh_the_Steak
  • Like 2

Spooky ass stairs

Pipes and dirt

More of the spooky stairs

More pipes and shit

whatever the hell this is

This is the clearest shot of the spiderwebs I got, this web goes all the way from the wall to the pole from top to the floor. 

WOW, oddly enough that looks like the last house I lived in, it was old and had an open sewer pipe where the washer and dryer went, it was terrible.

• Like 1

I must admit, planning of that house is terrible. If I understand it correctly, there is like, a huge-ass chink, as that visible on photo no 2 in every direction? With pipes and cables going there?

If so, there is nothing that can be done, unless you decide wall them up.

The only huge gap with dirt and pipes is the back wall, where the house sits. It's got three normal walls, but the ceiling is covered in pipes and spiders. 

The only huge gap with dirt and pipes is the back wall, where the house sits. It's got three normal walls, but the ceiling is covered in pipes and spiders. 

Oh, then all you need to do is to wall it up. As for the pipes and cables you can obturate chinks around them, where they go in and out, using silicone or acrylic.

That will make the basement tight and should mean no more spidres. You can do it all in half a day.

• Like 1

Oh, then all you need to do is to wall it up. As for the pipes and cables you can obturate chinks around them, where they go in and out, using silicone or acrylic.

That will make the basement tight and should mean no more spidres. You can do it all in half a day.

I'll ask my dad about it then, at Christmas. 

I'll ask my dad about it then, at Christmas. 

I guess it all depends on how old the installations are. If they are't older than 40, then you're free to proceed. And even if, it's not a problem to cuff a thin wall. Here, we have al the pipes and cables going inside of the walls and floors, apart from the joints and valves, so that shouldn't be a problem in your case.

By the way, it's pretty weird, seeing how the pipes and cables are lieing loose. Is it typical for the local architecture there?

I guess it all depends on how old the installations are. If they are't older than 40, then you're free to proceed. And even if, it's not a problem to cuff a thin wall. Here, we have al the pipes and cables going inside of the walls and floors, apart from the joints and valves, so that shouldn't be a problem in your case.

By the way, it's pretty weird, seeing how the pipes and cables are lieing loose. Is it typical for the local architecture there?

I'm guessing? I've heard people talk about similar basements, apparently a lot of the older houses here have them. 

When I lived in Arizona back in middle school, 50% of the house was a basement, so it was a really nice basement, basically as nice as any rooms you'd see upstairs. It had two bedrooms, an office, a bathroom, living room, and even a fucking kitchen. It was essentially a guest house attached to the main house by a staircase and that's where I lived most of the time. Never creeped me out too much (at least until I watched The Grudge lol), but the cool factor of it faded when we found a scorpion in the bathroom and were told that having one scorpion probably meant you had a lot of them living in the house. Thankfully we were in the process of moving when we found that.

I have yet to visit a legit "creepy basement".

speaking of spooky basements, we found bones buried in our basement in our old house

turns out it was used as a makeshift hospital during the Revolutionary War, and they buried dead guys down there

all my friends never wanted to have sleepovers when we were kids because they thought there would be ghosts :^(

• Like 1

if you see that on the news in some murder case guys you know where you saw it first. no but seriously if that rly is normal where you live in the older apartments somebody had no clue what he was doing. espescially with the cables. that looks so random and i kinda doubt that this is safe so close to whatever pipes those are. should atleast be isolated or so.