Pet cloning

Harbinger

Is fucking pointless, not to mention cheapens whichever pet you've decided you can just replace with a look a like. Get another pet to home by all means, but whats the point in having a clone who is his own self but just looks like your old pet? If these saps saved their hundred thousand dollars and just adopted or brought an already existing dog that would make more sense, hell if they think they love animals that much and have that much money to spend they could i dont know, donate to wildlife or pet rescues or something.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35188306

If you have your dog cloned the resulting pup isnt your old dog, its a new dog thats had your old dogs genes spliced into its egg :/

Anyway, thought yall would find this interesting to argue about.

Some people are weird like that. They probably think it will give them their exact pet back, not realizing the unlikeliness of that. I've always wished I could clone my best cat ever just because she was absolutely perfect and I loved her so much, but I know that it's impossible to have an exact copy of her.

Edited by Kinare
speelin r hrd
  • Like 1

Odds are, the pet would be similar enough to almost appearing identical to the animal they lost. So thyd feel as if theyd never lost their pet

Mostly because the genes which the pet has are identical, and assuming the pet was in a similar environment, little would change in behavior unless they changed up Something in how they cared for or raised it.

but to go through the trouble to keep "the same pet" is kind of delusional.

9 hours ago, Nova said:

Cloned animals dont live long, 

Cloned animals are just animals with the same genes and appearance but are not the same as the old pet.

Thats  so sad.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. 

The fact that cloned animals have a shortened lifespan because the chromosomes are closer to their hayflick limits.

i've just read the long article and uhm. i feel kinda sick thinking about that. i mean i had some totally awesome pets and it's sad that they are gone but... it is like it is and no super expensive cloning attempt will change that. even if you don't expect it to be like the pet you cloned it from it is stillwrong on so many levels...

some people shouldnt have money and science be that corrupted.

I can see it if the deceased pet was a well performing showpet, could keep the good genes in play for more offspring. For emotional value? Ridiculous idea to think you can replace the dead with a copy and pretend to yourself it's still the same. 

Just upload that pet it to a computer to live forever like me in the grid :V

I suppose this solution could meet this issue in the middle and rather have that beloved pet breed with another and taking care of the children. Besides some qualities are passed down while also enjoying parenthood with that. 

as much as I love my cat (even though he's an asshole), I don't think I could clone him. I can kind of see why people would want to clone their pets though. it's hard letting go of something you really loved and some feel simply replacing it won't help them. even if it's the same breed and everything.

Yes, let me clone my favorite cat and in a few years re-live the pain of them dying again. The death of my 15 year old cat practically destroyed me and was so horrible it almost made me never want to own pets again, unless it was a tarantula or something (but then I'll get attached to it anyway and feel sad when it dies).

Its best just to adopt a new pet from a shelter and give someone else an opportunity to be loved and cared for vs going to the gas chamber and then dumpster. I wonder if rich people will start re-cloning their pets so much that animal shelters will become even more packed..lol

• Like 1