What makes a story "furry"?

VGmaster9

A "furry" story usually misses the mark as the characters are animals for seemingly no real inspired reason. You can tell it was made for furries. There's characters that are designed with an appearance that don't denote anything about their personality or significance in a story. They have seemingly random colours and esoteric markings that don't mesh well with anything else around them. There's weird design choices that are frivolous, etc etc.

Alternatively there's things that furries happen to like which is what the fandumb was born from.
You can have something visual and its easily summed as just being appealing to younger/family audiences, further enhancing a cheerful aesthetic. Or there's a story that's very heavily animal/nature-themed like The Lion King. Or it's part of a consistent design philosophy where characters are designed around animals, where the characters personalities line up with symbolism or meanings we associate with animals (furries tend to screw this up).
The wolf could be a hunter/stalker - an antagonist, if not some kind of pack member/loyal fighter, a Jack the Ripper or a Boromir respectively. The fox is witty, crafty, and pretty smart. The owl is wise, watchful, knows a lot of stuff, like a Dumbledore or Yoda character. The mouse is small and meek, but in a story learn to be very brave, like some Frodo Baggins type of guy.

TL;DR there's a difference between things that include anthropomorphic animals and things made for furries.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

A "furry" story is just a story written by a furry involving anthros who calls it a furry story.

Anthropomorphic animals as a concept are as old as fucking dirt so it's not like furries invented it or something.

Ok, so what would be some different characteristics of a story made by/for furries?

29 minutes ago, VGmaster9 said:

Ok, so what would be some different characteristics of a story made by/for furries?

I wanted to say the Redwall series, but it is not a series by a furry or for furries. What separates it from furry shit? It's too well-written and worldbuilt for furfags.

Not to say furries can't write well or worldbuild, but most of the time that isn't the case because most furry writing focuses solely on sex or kink shit.

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1

Furries will flock to anything with anthropomorphic animals, but anthropomorphic animals (typically) cater to general audience.

Like anything by Rudyard Kipling or Brian Jacques.

People will criticize something as "furry" if it has typical bipedal very human characteristics, theres not much like that, but dineys robin hood, dust: An elysian tale, and star fox are often criticized as being heavily furry despite being general audience.

Theres always "for furry, by furry" which is usually niche fandom-related things.

37 minutes ago, Machine said:

I wanted to say the Redwall series, but it is not a series by a furry or for furries. What separates it from furry shit? It's too well-written and worldbuilt for furfags.

Not to say furries can't write well or worldbuild, but most of the time that isn't the case because most furry writing focuses solely on sex or kink shit.

Tell me what you think.

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. To me though, it REALLY comes down to intent, because the fandom is a gross cesspool filled with manchildren and idiots. It's unfair to lump anything not made by a furry in with all of the drying cum rags and dildos, yaknow? 

15 hours ago, Sir Gibby said:

The wolf could be a hunter/stalker - an antagonist, if not some kind of pack member/loyal fighter, a Jack the Ripper or a Boromir respectively. The fox is witty, crafty, and pretty smart. The owl is wise, watchful, knows a lot of stuff, like a Dumbledore or Yoda character. The mouse is small and meek, but in a story learn to be very brave, like some Frodo Baggins type of guy.

TL;DR there's a difference between things that include anthropomorphic animals and things made for furries.

But perhaps one could write a story breaking the stereotype? Black is good, white is evil. Wolves are hailed for their good traits and not the bad. A snake is hailed as an ally and a calm, level-headed creature. An eagle as a ruthless killer.

Our mindsets are so set in ways Id be intrigued for a story to break those rules and set a new path.

I think society in general is too much into having symbols set in stone when everythings a bit more fluid than what our perceptions lead us to believe. But thats a tangent for another thread.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

But perhaps one could write a story breaking the stereotype? Black is good, white is evil. Wolves are hailed for their good traits and not the bad. A snake is hailed as an ally and a calm, level-headed creature. An eagle as a ruthless killer.

Our mindsets are so set in ways Id be intrigued for a story to break those rules and set a new path.

I think society in general is too much into having symbols set in stone when everythings a bit more fluid than what our perceptions lead us to believe. But thats a tangent for another thread.

You might wanna re-read the post, particularly the wolf one.

To give another example, instead of a meek-n-sweet character, a mouse could very easily be some sort of petty criminal, or one smelly peasant of a hundred.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Gibby said:

You might wanna re-read the post, particularly the wolf one.

To give another example, instead of a meek-n-sweet character, a mouse could very easily be some sort of petty criminal, or one smelly peasant of a hundred.

oh I did miss the double symbol you gave a wolf character as an example, my bad.

I was just noticing that ourideas can go both ways, I know you didnt mean those as generalized rules only.

6 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

To me anything with anthropormophic animal characters is furry, seeing as furry is the fandom of anthropomorphic characters, and if you think otherwise you're an ass.

But that's okay, because furries like ass too

But no really, I agree. If it appeals to furries, there's no real difference.