Signing Your Art

Chrysocyon

Watching Bob Ross a few months back got me thinking about artist signatures.  So how do you folks like to sign your art?

I used to just pick a cool font and type my username and date and put it over a random logo that I made. Then I picked a somewhat unique four-letter nickname and started handwriting it with the date in a nice square format, and made a new logo that was a little more personal(and my avatar for a while).  Now I just use the same signature but without the logo because I wasn't too fond of it.

tib4bXx.jpg

Yeah, I don't sign my art either, first and foremost because it's not good enough for people even considering to steal it, and secondly because- Because... Oops, nevermind, I got no second reason

I didnt used to...but I guess Istarted putting a sign on my art because even though Im not good, it just is something I made and to put my name on it, I dont know, I guess I felt it was "the artist thing to do", and to emulate something that better/(actual) artists do. thats like something they taughteven back in elementary school

"Awww, what a nice art, put your name in the corner there and sign it!"

Probably so they dont lose it and not for any other value :P But I guess a sig is something you do at the end to denote and claim that you made something and put your mark on it. So I started doing it.

For me its simply just my initials in some swoopy mesh that it makes a shape. Quick and easy. I nadnt been in the habit of putting dates on them though, which I should. I tend to do that prior to uploading them on the net.

• Like 1

Not too many people signing their work, it seems. But I don't really know why I do either.  I guess I just do it out of habit and tradition.  It just feels like I'm officially done with a piece when I sign it, and that's a good feeling.  I don't care if anyone tries to steal my art or anything like that.  Hell, I'd probably be flattered if they did.

I do think dating art is a good idea, though, at least for traditional art and sketches to keep track of progress.

And all y'all's art is great, quit being such downers! :V

I sign all sorts of crap! Most of the time, I drop my name and just use my little sigil. I even built multiple configurable showcase-templates that stick my gaudy sigil right smack dab in the middle!

15_0128_4Square_ASimpleShadedMerged.thum

I slather that thing on just about everything, it's even in my avatar!

0916-BackShoulder-Compare.gif.97e4b1fa4a (The .gif is a comparison of shoulder deformation, btw)

Sometimes its bit too big, but it doesn't stick out quite as much as it used to. It's usually semi-transparent now and it never covers anything too important. sometimes it's even covered by the figure.

The lil' sigil actually started out as a something that was supposed to be used by my character, Dr. Gravitas, on just about everything that was a part or product of him; more like a logo or other common identifier rather than just a signature. Places like on buildings, the sides of vehicles, tattooed on certain persons...  So it was only natural that I apply it to my own stuff, too!

As much as I gripe about my work, I am proud of it. Signing it is a symbol of taking responsibility for your work. I put my sigil or signature on my work because I want to say I am proud to be associated with this creation.

Edited by DrGravitas
Adding further explaination of why I use that sigil
  • Like 2

I always add watermarks to my stuff.

I used to use huge, low transparency ones. Just all caps with my username in them.

tygggg.PNG.496a48f4dcc76ef48c8c998cce7d6

Sometimes, I still do that.
But lately I've just been putting small signatures in places that
   a. don't clash with the piece's design, and
   b. would look odd to remove if someone wanted to do that.

tygggg-2.PNG.0dbd52a5ac2ba7ec7ca9a6bf4f3

As for more complex like... symbol stuff, never really found a point to it.
I want everything to flow with the work as much as possible, while still proving that the piece is mine.

• Like 2

I used to sign my art with just my name and then I tried making a watermark because I got kind of bored just signing my name, but I kept forgetting to use it so I just stopped. I thought about using one again but I can't think of a good design so I haven't bothered making one.

• Like 1

I've very recently started signing my artwork, but it's so I can identify when someone reposts my work, where they're reposting from. I have a different signature for each site (just two) that I post on. It's a small, handwritten signature that I like to slap near the feet paws of my full body drawings. I don't sign avatars though, since I feel like those are meant to be small.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vae said:

But lately I've just been putting small signatures in places that
   a. don't clash with the piece's design, and
   b. would look odd to remove if someone wanted to do that.

Yeah, I like the signature placement in what art I've seen from you, very subtle.

7 minutes ago, malibu said:

I've very recently started signing my artwork, but it's so I can identify when someone reposts my work, where they're reposting from. I have a different signature for each site (just two) that I post on. It's a small, handwritten signature that I like to slap near the feet paws of my full body drawings.

I don't have that problem at least, but I did have some of my really old adult art end up on E621 at some point.  I'm kinda glad I didn't sign those because they're awful. :V

I did used to have different signatures for different website's usernames too.  That was part of the reason I switched to a simple nickname, I'd rather have the consistency.