Roleplaying in IRC chat

jcstinks

* Manimal trots in
* Animal flops on Manimal
<Animal> woof
* Animal snugs a snowmeow
<Manimal> meowmeow
* Manimal climbs up Animal :3

I don't get something, Internet. I don't get some thing. In particular, this thing. What is it, why does it happen?

I am in three furry chat rooms right now that all look exactly like the above. That's all that's happened the entire night. Meow, woof, flops, snugs. No semblance of conversation.

My question, Internet, is not why people roleplay, but, why do they act it out so vapidly? If they have nothing to say to each other, they could at least talk about a boring subject. Or, heaven furbid, say hello instead of a goddamned "meow." Or at least have the decency to make out properly for me. How do you respond to "meow?" With a "*flops*?" That's not a conversation-starter, it's a conversation-killer. But it seems like the only conversation they ever have; any attempts I've made to communicate with rooms like these have died on the vine.

Please, explain this sociological phenomenon to me so I can be a better citizen of FurNet.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, shadowsinhiding said:

Lesson learned!

leave role-playing to videogames do it in any other form and all your gonna get is shit

It'd be fine if they'd crank it up a notch and mash their cat-tongues together for me, but this "*perches on top of you and sniffs o.o*" stuff is bullshit. Why the hell is there so much perching? I am constantly being climbed on and/or sniffed by animals.

• Like 1

i've been in chats where this is a thing, and it's usually more of an offset of visceral humour or comfort. where physicality fails, the demonstration of it tends to express a bond of closeness or happiness to see another person in a different language.

does that justify it? idk. if they drop confursation (:V) immediately, definitely. but i've found that alternating between an implied state of desired physicality on a level that is affectionate is usually an attempt to represent the unspoken communication that unfolds in person.

nonetheless, it becomes a supplement to conversation instead of the actual conversation. a lot of people used to just talk to me in rp tags and after a while i dropped most of them because they were using that form of "conversation" to hide a secretly active failure to communicate.

Edited by evan

In small quantities its just for fun, mayne. You mean youve never seen the dumb forum furs here meowoof and say they are X animal that they really arent? Furrydom has some semblence of roleplay involved as is

Howeeever, the chats Im in have minimal amounts of these and mostly are conversation with a bit of asterisk snuggle asterisk here and there to loosen up and be casual and endearing.

Full on RP should be kept for specific sites/chats however. 

40 minutes ago, kazooie said:

i am pretty sure the pentultimate expression of furry lifestyling is to recreate the banality of existence in rp form

Whats the ultimate, may I ask?

11 minutes ago, evan said:

i've found that alternating between an implied state of desired physicality on a level that is affectionate is usually an attempt to represent the unspoken communication

Basically this

When putting things between asterisks (or dashes, or after /me command) it denotes a hypothetical action, kind of showing instead of telling. So instead of saying "Youre my friend and I enjoy your company I would hug you" you just..."do it". 

Casual RPing is just playing you as a person implying action to another, something simple like *hugs* is usually tolerable. Sometimes RP can get goofy and nonsensical like *shoves u off cliff*

But ultimately when you overkill it with acting out this roleplaying fantasy as a dog animal or some OP battle to the death youre breaching casual RP, and thats typically when people get ticked off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, evan said:

confursation (:V)

listen here garbage dog leave the furry puns to me that is my shtick and i will fight you for it on the field of glorious battle

7 hours ago, Machine said:

I godmode in all of my RPs so that furries can paw my thigh.

pm me

12 hours ago, evan said:

they were using that form of "conversation" to hide a secretly active failure to communicate.

Ding ding. I think that's it. Failure to communicate. Legitimately not knowing what to say, maybe? It seems like they have a hard time following conversations, in general, unless they're about the snuggliness of soft fox fur.

2 hours ago, jcstinks said:

listen here garbage dog leave the furry puns to me that is my shtick and i will fight you for it on the field of glorious battle

scuse me shitlord you wanna fucking go, i'll fucking *meows at* the shit out of you if you don't watch yourself

• Like 1