The Future Belongs to Me

DrGravitas

Well and other people like me, anyways. :P 

The World Economic Forum has published a forecast of top skills and job growth/shrinkage. Among the top skills, 'coordination with others' plummets from 2nd to 5th and 'Active listening' falls off the chart.

foj-topskills.png

Not only are my skillsets projected to increase in value, my job sector is expected to see major growth.

foj-jobs-02.png

OK, ego stroking aside, these are interesting predictions but I don't know if I believe them.

What are your thoughts?

I'm unsure how they're measuring art in decline. Especially seeing as the educational system for the arts in America was just revised to accommodate it as a core learning subject, unless there's a structural observation of the job market (decline in orchestral positions, for instance) that's bringing them to this conclusion.

Edited by evan
  • Like 3

Seems fairly accurate. The future will be largely automated if we keep our current direction and the people who create, design and program the automation will be high in demand. 

Construction will be largely automated and we may soon see factory labor become obsolete even in developing and 3rd world countries. Administrative tasks that are often associated with 70's office working will be automated too alongside with the quality control

There are also too many artists to choose from right now so it is natural the demand for  them goes down

TL;DR: Robot overlords will take over the world. I for one welcome them since I am educating myself of becoming the master of them :D

I will also raise a robot army of my own and become the mastermind: world conqueror

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, evan said:

I'm unsure how they're measuring art in decline. Especially seeing as the educational system for the arts in America was just revised to accommodate it as a core learning subject, unless there's a structural observation of the job market (decline in orchestral positions, for instance) that's bringing them to this conclusion.

It appears that here they are referring to Advertising and public relations professionals as well as telecom techs rather than content creators or performers. Job security is projected to drop, but its not entirely clear why.

• Like 2

It looks like the data source is a survey of human resources officers and other related executives. Given that, I'd interpret it more as a window into the minds of people currently making hiring decisions. (I haven't looked at exactly how the survey population was chosen.)

EDIT: Primary criterion for inclusion was number of employees, with additional employers included for regional and industry coverage. It looks like some number of smaller companies were included based on growth. Roughly 15% response rate. Doesn't include the public sector outside of state-owned corporations.

Edited by Onnes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Onnes said:

It looks like the data source is a survey of human resources officers and other related executives. Given that, I'd interpret it more as a window into the minds of people currently making hiring decisions. (I haven't looked at exactly how the survey population was chosen.)

EDIT: Primary criterion for inclusion was number of employees, with additional employers included for regional and industry coverage. It looks like some number of smaller companies were included based on growth. Roughly 15% response rate. Doesn't include the public sector outside of state-owned corporations.

I think this tells us everything we need to know about this report. Good critical eye!

The future belongs to you, huh? How much bitcoin you got?

14 hours ago, evan said:

I'm unsure how they're measuring art in decline. Especially seeing as the educational system for the arts in America was just revised to accommodate it as a core learning subject

Probably over saturation of artists and art, with those competing against everyone around the world, not just their locals, and thus making very little. Also, dying copy protections, and computers learning how to make art and compose music, and even sing. My guess, anyway.

13 hours ago, Saxon said:

Architecture rises but construction falls...?

You can 3D print buildings, and have more complex ones assembled by drones.

Regarding the OP, I have to agree with it, if only based on how we're running companies in our cutting edge entrepreneur space now, already.

The company I lead is a software development company that's working on really cutting edge financial stuff (bitcoin is old basic, what we're doing is stuff that's years ahead). While we are based in Cyprus, none of our employees and managers are there. Everyone is all over the world, entirely working online. So, Complex Problem Solving, Critical Thinking, and Creativity are extremely important. We have very complex crypto and logic puzzles to invent, figure out, and solve, just to make our products, and make sure they are secure enough that they won't be hacked or broken. People Management is important, because these people are all working on their own time, remotely, completely unsupervised. So you have to keep them motivated and working well. Coordinating with others is super important, because we don't have a boss simply assigning tasks. We have a common company goal, and a more focused product goal. It's entirely up to the devs to create tasks for themselves and achieve those goals, and they have to work together and coordinate to do it. Long distance over things like Skype I might add. And Emotional Intelligence plays into this, because getting whiny about someone not working with you or doing something you disapprove of will get you kicked out fast! Judgement and Decision making is also important, because not only is the company entrepreneurial, having to make difficult judgements without really having any history to base them on, but so do the developers. Since they manage themselves towards a common goal, AND are solving problems for things that don't even exist yet, they also have to research the field they're developing in and be aware of any new ideas that come up out on the internets, and make judgements on whether those should be implemented. In a way, they tell ME (the manager) what must be done. (Not always, since I do bulk of the research).

The remaining ones don't seem very important to us, though I guess service orientation could also be "building a reputable brand," which does fit into it, and reputation is going to be everything.

5 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Probably over saturation of artists and art, with those competing against everyone around the world, not just their locals, and thus making very little. Also, dying copy protections, and computers learning how to make art and compose music, and even sing. My guess, anyway.

A majority of that is true if you're trying to go specifically into modern genre music through popular industry standards. Not applicable to music education, contemporary composition, contemporary performance, studio musicianship, video game design, etc etc etc. Even that isn't entirely true for production, if anything local scenes are growing due to niche markets and collectives being able to thrive without actually having to compete internationally. Also computer music is not new, about 50 years old for that matter. It has yet to overtake the need for human input, if anything human-composed computer music is kind of embraced as a new advanced medium that is becoming popular. Computers are still subservient to the performer in a majority of cases.

Edited by evan
  • Like 1

Not sure about things like music education and other fringe fields (they sound like getting a fancy degree in gender studies, and then finding no one needs you for that skill), but extremely good point about video game design. I would take that even further, and suggest that a lot of future jobs will be based on building a whole experience, either through games, virtual reality, or real presence. Eventually it will even advance to building custom experiences for clients, not just a generic one like a game many people play. As robots replace more and more of our jobs, making our lives easier and leaving us with less and less to do, we will find ourselves more bored, and look for more and more ways to entertain ourselves. And all of that will require art, design, and music.

But that's probably closer to 2050

21 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Not sure about things like music education and other fringe fields (they sound like getting a fancy degree in gender studies, and then finding no one needs you for that skill),

back when the symphony orchestra was more of a place of notoriety, instead of it being on the decline, this was significantly less true. nowadays i would say that yes music performance can fall into a category of fringe, unless you also study instrumental pedagogy and cover famous literature with it, as the rise of soloistic/virtuosic literature (especially in percussion) has opened up a number of outlets in the classical field. also generally performance degrees are usable for networking and therefore substantiating through a series of performances and such; coupled with private lessons, while it isn't ever going to be a high wage living, it has the potential to be highly sustainable

jazz; that's a fringe and getting the degree is pretty much paying for classes to be a way better musician for the gigs you already need to have as you are doing this. again, networking and masterclasses.

contemporary composition is hardly a fringe field, the majority of things around us require composers on some level, especially now that the marching arts is moving away from being a fringe market for composers and educators to be hired in, and especially with how programs like Box 6 are not currently capable of monopolizing the option to "purchase" design teams for marching band shows. working as a professor of composition varies, but universities also tend to like having resident composers, meaning you basically are given a place to teach, premiere pieces, and so on for a living. 

with any of these networking is the prime component for moving from a semi/non-professional field of musical performance to an advanced level, something an extensive collegiate training in music can provide. the people i know who have degrees or have benefited from the merits of the field are constantly, constantly being called in. my past lesson instructor, due to his work in his grad/postgrad (as well as other things), has been hired for 11 seasons of drumcorps, composes for multiple high schools in the state of michigan, and even gets called in for pretty much every orchestra in the state. you could say he's doing well.

just wanted to address that. i don't disagree with your other statement somewhat, just wanted to put some perspective on the other fields.

due to music education being a core subject now, that field is unquestionably going to expand. the prominence of music education is only going to improve, so there's a really good chance that the number of jobs available to music educators will be on the rise within a matter of time.

Edited by evan
  • Like 1

As DrGravitas already noted, even if you think what this survey reports is significant, you have to understand what it's actually binning into all these categories.

On 1/19/2016 at 10:51 AM, Saxon said:

Architecture rises but construction falls...?

Architecture is getting grouped with engineering, while construction is down there with natural resources extraction. I'm guessing that actual architecture has a negligible influence on 'Architecture and Engineering' due to scale.

On 1/19/2016 at 9:36 AM, evan said:

'Art' here is literally all media related jobs. My hunch would be that this is dominated by marketing, production, and distribution. It's very easy to think of ways in which automation and outsourcing could substantially eat into those jobs.

• Like 1

Thanks @evan. I feel more informed on the subject. Of the list, contemporary composition is definitely something I know is in high demand, because TV shows even have custom background music written from scratch for every episode...

I guess the others I just wasn't sure what they were

Edited by Rassah

On 1/19/2016 at 10:18 AM, DrGravitas said:

Well and other people like me, anyways. :P

The World Economic Forum has published a forecast of top skills and job growth/shrinkage. Among the top skills, 'coordination with others' plummets from 2nd to 5th and 'Active listening' falls off the chart.

foj-topskills.png

Not only are my skillsets projected to increase in value, my job sector is expected to see major growth.

foj-jobs-02.png

OK, ego stroking aside, these are interesting predictions but I don't know if I believe them.

What are your thoughts?

oh cool i got a bunch of those "skills" on my resume, expecting a job managing a snack brand's twitter or whatever white collar ppl do any day now.

• Like 1