Slurs as terms of endearment/group terms?

Vallium

Hmmm...well I wasnt sure how to phrase the title, but I noticed this is a pretty common phenomenon.

im referring to words originally used by outsiders to denote scorn and disgust toward a group, but is later adopted by said group to use amongst one another or about themselves, typically in a jocular manner

Im talking words like "Nigga", "Faggot", "Tranny", "Nerd/Geek", and the fandom based one "Furfag". There are other fandom based ones like "weeaboo" or its variation "wolfaboo". 

I suppose its entirely up to the individual and the context of their relation to whom it is used and how. 

But it seems like a fairly common idea, thoughts?

2 hours ago, 6tails said:

Easiest way to rob a derogatory term of its inherent power is to use it as a term of endearment.

On the other hand, some words need to be derogatory. The world isn't tumblr.

I agree, and with reference to this it is very confusing when someone feigns getting massively upset about being called a nasty word, which they're using to refer to themselves.

Using it yourself was meant to show that, no you don't care about something as silly as someone calling you a naughty word. 

Connotation is everything. Words are just a way to communicate your thoughts and feelings to another person. So if my friend lovingly calls me a fag, of course i'm not gonna get upset about it. Besides, I dunno what it is, but slurs are fun words to use :P

Relevant louis ck sketch:

14 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I personally do not use terms like "nigga" as endearment, but I am not bothered by someone else using it in a jovial manner. However, I'd probably would be pissed if used as an insult towards me since...well..insults are meant to piss people off. 

When someone uses a slur against you they're essentially saying 'Hey, mate...Hey! I am trying to upset you!'

It's like if somebody calls your mother whore, you know she's not and the person making the accusation knows she's not...so why indulge them? 

17 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I personally do not use terms like "nigga" as endearment, but I am not bothered by someone else using it in a jovial manner. However, I'd probably would be pissed if used as an insult towards me since...well..insults are meant to piss people off. 

I feel this way about most slurs really. 

6 minutes ago, Saxon said:

When someone uses a slur against you they're essentially saying 'Hey, mate...Hey! I am trying to upset you!'

It's like if somebody calls your mother whore, you know she's not and the person making the accusation knows she's not...so why indulge them? 

This is the most common snit I deal with on a daily basis since I am wearing a heavy peacoat and people can't tell my gender because they cannot see my boobs: am I a guy. 

Person 1: "What are you, are you a boy?"

Me: "I am whatever your mother may be."

Person: nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.

Here, Nigga is used as "you are my mate, my fan, my person" not as a direct insult. If we were talking and I used it in a endearing manner, It would be "Hey pal/buddy/friend/guy" or "Buddy, please". it's also used a lot by latinos and Asian Americans who are...ahem..."Urbanized" and used in the same manner to denote "pal, buddy, friend, or guy".

It's all contextual. I'm quite "liberal" with my word choices so I have zero serious issues with any supposed slurs.

I mean if someone tries to insult me by calling me a tranny or something, I wouldn't be any more offended than if they called me something more universal like an asshole. I ain't dumb enough to let such stupid sounding words have such immense power over me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I use nigga and fag in a positive way. If I call you my nigga that means we good, if I call you a fag it's because you're cool in my book. I once had someone get really butthurt at me for calling myself a fag. It was stupid.

I would love to see you say this in front of a group of black people. 

It would be all over Worldstar in like 10 seconds. 

• Like 4

I'm all for a group reclaiming a slur, but I'm not going to use any of them even if it's just for fun. Marginalized groups have every right to use something that's meant to hurt them in a way that's positive, but I'm not part of those groups and have no reason to "reclaim" them. It doesn't bother me when other people use them, though. To each his own.

30 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

It's all contextual. I'm quite "liberal" with my word choices so I have zero serious issues with any supposed slurs.

I mean if someone tries to insult me by calling me a tranny or something, I wouldn't be any more offended than if they called me something more universal like an asshole. I ain't dumb enough to let such stupid sounding words have such immense power over me.

You're a poo-poo-head. 

I'm all for a group reclaiming a slur, but I'm not going to use any of them even if it's just for fun. Marginalized groups have every right to use something that's meant to hurt them in a way that's positive, but I'm not part of those groups and have no reason to "reclaim" them. It doesn't bother me when other people use them, though. To each his own.

Ehh, I don't agree. I think the idea of having certain language that you can only use if you're a certain race, religious, or sexual orientation is silly.

Edited by Saxon

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

Ehh, I don't agree. I think the idea of having certain language that you can only use if you're a certain race, religious, or sexual orientation is silly.

It's not so much the idea of having a language only used by certain people, it's that I dislike the idea of offending someone, and I'd much rather watch my language than hurt someones feelings. 

1 minute ago, malibu said:

It's not so much the idea of having a language only used by certain people, it's that I dislike the idea of offending someone, and I'd much rather watch my language than hurt someones feelings. 

Pretty much the only time I use words like nigger or faggot is when I'm discussing whether it's acceptable for people to say them, really. 

But regards people actually using them as insults, I think people could probably benefit from thicker skin; if someone is calling you a faggot then they clearly want to upset you; why give them the pleasure? 

Just now, Saxon said:

Pretty much the only time I use words like nigger or faggot is when I'm discussing whether it's acceptable for people to say them, really. 

But regards people actually using them as insults, I think people could probably benefit from thicker skin; if someone is calling you a faggot then they clearly want to upset you; why give them the pleasure? 

I agree, people could benefit from thicker skin. I'm just not one to push buttons or purposely offend others. It doesn't bother me when other people use them, even when they're directed towards me, though.

4 hours ago, 6tails said:

I grew up in Memphis. Even here in Cali, when I say nigga every single black person knows I'm not being racist. Hell most of them call me nigga right back so we certainly aren't giving a fuck. Real recognize real, ya feel?

Yeah, but I want to see what happens when Sidewalk does it.