Different periods of warfare

VGmaster9

Different periods of warfare  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What periods of warfare do you find interesting?

• Stone/Neolithic age
    • Bronze age
    • Classical Antiquity/Iron age
    • Late Antiquity/Dark ages
    • Middle ages
    • Rennaisance (pike and shot)
    • Early modern period (Revolutionary war, Napoleanic age)
    • Industrial age (Civil war)
    • WWI
    • WWII
    • Cold War (Vietnam war)
    • Modern
    • Futuristic

I like them all except modern and futuristic

obviously its better now because thanks to technology they don't need to put as many actual people in harms way, but its just not as interesting to read about as historical massive battles.

• Like 1

I like a lot of the smaller brushfire type wars that happened since at least 1870. (Boer wars, Nicaraguan civil war, six day war, the 90s Yugoslavian wars, Syrian Civil War, etc.)

Hell, even my fursona was a vet for the Serbs in the Kosovo war.* 

*But when the Syrian Civil War wraps up, I plan on updating his backstory to make him a Syria vet to make him younger. 

• Like 1

The whole butterfly effect of the 20th century is fascinating. Not just the conflicts themselves, but the impact they had on society and culture and the repercussions that are still being felt and will continue to be felt for decades. I feel like a lot of the Mideast instability stems from the collapse of the Ottoman Empire following WWI. A lot of the post-WWI issues directly fed into WWII as well, such as Germany's economic implosion that was exacerbated by a vengeful France, which in turn drove the German people to desperation and they turned to a magical savior at their darkest hour. Russia dropping out in the middle of WWI due to the Communist Revolution fueled resentment in Western nations which remanifested itself in the post WWII period, coupled with ideological conflicts and fears.

These disagreements that flared up WWII and persisted in the postwar period immediately drew more lines in the sand and the world came terrifyingly close to nuclear annihilation several times during the 1960s and 1980s. With nuclear proliferation taking conventional warfare between NATO and WARPAC off the table, they turned to proxy wars and the installation of puppet governments: Korea, Cuba, El Salvador, Iran, Iraq, Vietnam, Cambodia, Grenada, Panama, Afghanistan. Some of these insurgent groups lingered long after the superpowers lost interest in the countries themselves and evolved into significant factors in later history, such as Osama bin Laden and the Afghani Mujahideen who were supported and trained by the US CIA during the 1980s.

It's all incredibly engrossing, a belief I feel was compounded by my heavy exposure to post-Cold War military life growing up as an Air Force brat during the '90s, and it's definitely had an impact on both my philosophical beliefs and the art I create.

Probably the WWI-WWII period since I'm an American living in the 21st century so that's what I'm exposed to the most.

It also helps that World War II is one of the very few wars in American history against a literal comic book villain so it's not generally tainted by all that icky "ethics" stuff, unlike virtually everything during the Cold War.

Of course I say this as an ignorant American who doesn't pay attention to this stuff so leave your high and mighty history lessons at the door since I don't really care.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

It also helps that World War II is one of the very few wars in American history against a literal comic book villain

Yeah, WW1 definitely was an interesting war, they clearly were going for something a lot more realistic and a little artsy. There was no clear villain or hero and it really seemed to focus on the suffering of war and stuff. The trenches were definitely a smart move for this, even if it does sacrifice the crowd-pleasing action a bit. I guess that's why audiences and war fans tend to gravitate towards the sequel.

But man, WW2 is definitely more entertaining.They introduce a solid villain (regarded as one of the best villains of all time amongst war fans), get rid of the trenches to allow more exhilarating action, and throw in lot more plot twists and a couple surprises ( I think the D-day scene is still a huge tear-jerker. And the Hiroshima and Nagasaki scenes still send chills through me to this day). It's hard to get a sequel that not only stands up to the original, but also SURPASSES the original as well, and that's what makes WW2 so impressive.

Clearly, they were trying to please an audience with WW2! However, I do feel the artistic integrity was sacrificed a bit. I kinda feel like WW2 sells out a bit, but that's me nitpicking. It's still a war that holds up. 

I'd give WW1  a 7.8/10

WW2 gets a well deserved 9/10.

Both are better than that fucking pretentious cold-war drivel...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Head said:

Yeah, WW1 definitely was an interesting war, they clearly were going for something a lot more realistic and a little artsy. There was no clear villain or hero and it really seemed to focus on the suffering of war and stuff. The trenches were definitely a smart move for this, even if it does sacrifice the crowd-pleasing action a bit. I guess that's why audiences and war fans tend to gravitate towards the sequel.

But man, WW2 is definitely more entertaining.They introduce a solid villain (regarded as one of the best villains of all time amongst war fans), get rid of the trenches to allow more exhilarating action, and throw in lot more plot twists and a couple surprises ( I think the D-day scene is still a huge tear-jerker. And the Hiroshima and Nagasaki scenes still send chills through me to this day). It's hard to get a sequel that not only stands up to the original, but also SURPASSES the original as well, and that's what makes WW2 so impressive.

Clearly, they were trying to please an audience with WW2! However, I do feel the artistic integrity was sacrificed a bit. I kinda feel like WW2 sells out a bit, but that's me nitpicking. It's still a war that holds up. 

I'd give WW1  a 7.8/10

3rd one's always the worst smh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

3rd one's always the worst smh

Whether or not Cold War is a sequel or a spin-off is up for debate, especially with rumors of a WW3 floating around. 

I'm actually wouldn't be happy if there was a WW3, because I know they're gonna try some stupid shit where they "modernize" it. 

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Head said:

Whether or not Cold War is a sequel or a spin-off is up for debate, especially with rumors of a WW3 floating around. 

I'm actually wouldn't be happy if there was a WW3, because I know they're gonna try some stupid shit where they "modernize" it. 

They'll probably just rehash the Russians again. Like that shit sucked the first time fam.

I don't fancy any element of the wars themselves; though, the major consequences of WWII are quite interesting.

WWII helped cause

• the end of major European wars,
  • the rise of Maoism,
  • the creation of humanitarian and human rights law,
  • 'Murica,
  • the fall of traditional European empires,
  • the rise of the New Right, right-libertarianism, and neoconservatism,
  • the rise of the New Left and the "Anti-Stalinist Left,"
  • McCarthyism and the Second Red Scare,
  • the highest parity of income and best quality of life that had ever been seen in the West, and
  • so much more.
1 hour ago, PastryOfApathy said:

They'll probably just rehash the Russians again. Like that shit sucked the first time fam.

I remember when they did Russia right, like in the Russo-Turkish Wars. Russians ride in - beat some people up - and ride out. They tried to give them real story and character in WW1 and screwed it all up. To think people thought we'd see Russia ride in and kick ass again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Victor-933 said:

The whole butterfly effect of the 20th century is fascinating. Not just the conflicts themselves, but the impact they had on society and culture and the repercussions that are still being felt and will continue to be felt for decades. I feel like a lot of the Mideast instability stems from the collapse of the Ottoman Empire following WWI. A lot of the post-WWI issues directly fed into WWII as well, such as Germany's economic implosion that was exacerbated by a vengeful France, which in turn drove the German people to desperation and they turned to a magical savior at their darkest hour. Russia dropping out in the middle of WWI due to the Communist Revolution fueled resentment in Western nations which remanifested itself in the post WWII period, coupled with ideological conflicts and fears.

These disagreements that flared up WWII and persisted in the postwar period immediately drew more lines in the sand and the world came terrifyingly close to nuclear annihilation several times during the 1960s and 1980s. With nuclear proliferation taking conventional warfare between NATO and WARPAC off the table, they turned to proxy wars and the installation of puppet governments: Korea, Cuba, El Salvador, Iran, Iraq, Vietnam, Cambodia, Grenada, Panama, Afghanistan. Some of these insurgent groups lingered long after the superpowers lost interest in the countries themselves and evolved into significant factors in later history, such as Osama bin Laden and the Afghani Mujahideen who were supported and trained by the US CIA during the 1980s.

It's all incredibly engrossing, a belief I feel was compounded by my heavy exposure to post-Cold War military life growing up as an Air Force brat during the '90s, and it's definitely had an impact on both my philosophical beliefs and the art I create.

I'd pay to hear someone read that in Colonel Campbell's voice :D

9 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

WW2 was my favourite war but I wish they gave the villain more actual depth. There should be a third one where we get to see his perspective but it'll probably be boring and modernised anyway with a cast that nobody has even heard of.

I like the idea of huge armies clashing without the use of long range weapons. I can only imagine what it must've felt like to be in a battle like that. Also the end of WWII really shook things up with the creation of the atomic bomb.

Futuristic seems cool, who doesn't like lazer beams, exoskeletons and giant mechs? Pew pew pew!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rabbit Head said:

I'd give WW1  a 7.8/10

So the World Wars are basically the equivalent of the Sam Raimi Spiderman trilogy. The first one was significantly liked, the second one received even higher acclaim, and the third one ended up sucking.

• Like 1

I find warfare from the advent of the gun as a widespread battlefield weapon ("Pike and Shot") to the end of WW2 to be the period that is the subject of my greatest interest.

The evolution of the battlefields of Europe as weapon technology advanced and warfare increased in scale are fascinating to me, with not only revolutions in how wars have been fought (with major changes in strategy, tactics, and logistics) but also in the character and meaning of warfare as a whole. War reached new magnitudes throughout these periods; the War of Spanish Succession saw possibly the first war where the entire means of states and empires were invested into the war effort (the beginnings of total war) while it was also the first world war, the Napoleonic Wars saw the nationalization of war as well as new levels of total warfare, the American Civil war and Franco-Prussian War saw the industrialization and mechanization of war, and World War 1 saw total and industrialized warfare brought to new heights.

The actual wars of these periods and their tactics are individually fascinating to me, with the Napoleonic mode of warfare as well as the strategy and tactics of World War 2 holding equal interest to me both in study and for entertainment (mostly in video or tabletop games)

As to futuristic, I am a fan of sci-fi in general, and especially a fan of military sci-fi, so I enjoy the different depictions of warfare and the connections to historical modes of warfare.

3 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Periods of warfare sounds like a RTS game about the menstrual cycle during WW2. 

WWII was really just a giant metaphor for the menstrual cycle when you think about it.

Like once Germany and Japan got off their period and changed their tampons they stopped being dicks.