Keyboard or controller - which is easier?

Alexxx-Returns

So if you had, say, an N64 emulator and games. What would make the game easier for the player? If they hooked up an N64 controller, or if they just used the keyboard?

I ask because I like to play Star Fox 64. I like to think I've gotten pretty good (regularly getting medals and I got to expert mode and completed that on my last laptop), but I put a lot of that down to the keyboard. I guess using the keyboard is an adjustment, I mean, the hands are reversed if you think about it - movement is on the right hand instead of the left, and everything else is on the left hand instead of the right. That probably could be a learning curve at first but maybe it makes things easier in the end.

I know that there are some things you can't really do with the keyboard though. I know you can't creep, and in some games (e.g Banjo Tooie) that's important in completing the game.

So thoughts? Which is easier (I mean, in helping you beat the game)? Which do you find easier? Experiences with either?

It depends purely on the game your playing.

For example playing something like Bayonetta or RE4 on a keyboard is sorta like trying to play a guitar with your dick. You might as well just kill yourself now and save yourself the physical and mental anguish.

But if I'm playing League of Legend's, Starcraft or virtually every FPS ever made you bet your pasty asshole I'm using a mouse and keyboard.

• Like 1

I fucking hate using a keyboard as a controller, and will avoid it if at all possible, even if that means directly mapping keys to an unsupported PC controller just to spare myself of it.

The only thing I can tolerate it with is like
the Sims, and Pokemon, and junk. Things that do not require fast reflexes and smooth hand movements.

For games like that and most games I emulate, I use a controller. I can't say for sure that its easier since I don't really give keyboard+mouse a chance for games like that, but it seems to me that games designed for a controller would, generally speaking, play better with a controller.

I play most games I emulate that way. The only exceptions are GBA games, where the experience would really be the same either way, and some Wii games, where the Wii remote has similar functionality to how a mouse would be used.

However, if I'm not emulating, and its a game designed for PC or ported to PC, I'll try and use keyboard and mouse controls in most instances, oftentimes trying out both if keyboard and mouse doesn't feel right. I find that action games like Metal Gear Rising and DmC play better with a controller. JRPGs too seem better with a controller. But other games, mainly strategy games (Valkyria Chronicles, even) and first person shooters, I'll definitely opt for keyboard and mouse.

It depends purely on the game your playing.

For example playing something like Bayonetta or RE4 on a keyboard is sorta like trying to play a guitar with your dick. You might as well just kill yourself now and save yourself the physical and mental anguish.

But if I'm playing League of Legend's, Starcraft or virtually every FPS ever made you bet your pasty asshole I'm using a mouse and keyboard.

RE4 with a keyboard and mouse isn't THAT bad. Its certainly more natural than a lot of other games you could've mentioned.

3 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

RE4 with a keyboard and mouse isn't THAT bad. Its certainly more natural than a lot of other games you could've mentioned.

I guess.

Although really every control scheme in RE4 is shit compared to the almighty Wiimote.

Seriously if you need more proof RE4 is literally the greatest game ever made just consider the fact that it's like the only game that managed to make the Wii version THE BEST VERSION!

I enjoy the feel and ease of a controller, but you cannot deny the diversity and speed of a keyboard. To me it depends on the type of game you're playing. Strategy, moba, and RTS games I would say are easier with keys and a mouse. Platformers, hack and slash, fighting games, and adventure games I would say controller. Fps can be either depending on the title/type it is.

Overall I vote controller. It's biased but *shrug* whatever.

Driving games are absolute shit on keyboard, and a controller is most definitely required.

Shooting games require precise camera movements, which are tough to do with controllers.

Open world games like Saints Row IV or GTA V work well with alternating between the two, as they have both driving and shooting mechanics.

Mad Max is best played entirely with a controller. The combat is more about button pressing than precision, and driving is essential to travel in the game (and one of the coolest mechanics).

Mouse + Keyboard for games with precision or that focus on typing/have typing as a mechanic. Or if you just want to sling insults at the people in game. Or conversation is important. 

I honestly find controllers much nicer to hold though, and prefer them for shooters. Though I've grown accustomed to aiming with the right analog stick.

But hey, we all know shitty motion controls are the best, right?