Doing stupid (but fun) things repeatedly

#00Buck

You ever do something that was really fun but ended up causing a lot of trouble for you?

Then you stop doing it, the trouble stops, and things seem really boring.

A bit of time passes and the opportunity to do the same dumb but entertaining thing comes up again. 

The lure of excitement and the end of boredom presents itself. 

Do you do it again? 

I think I'm about to do something stupid and fun and it's going to cause more trouble. 

I guess my brain must think that the fun outweighs the trouble. 

Or some other part of my brain is controlling things while the conscious part of my brain just sits there and says "yeah whatever." 

What do you all do in similar situations? 

• Like 1

If I were a responsible person, I would conduct a risk assessment before I did anything. That way I could compare the results and consequences and see if the risk could be reduced or avoided altogether.

While I am not that responsible I do suggest such a course of action for others.

The thread question is me and my friends' mentality for "fun" in a nutshell. We never plan things through.

We used to hang out and sleep over at one particular friend's house every weekend back during high school years, which consisted of stupid Youtube videos, loud action movies, horror stories in the nearby woods, and ball tag. Ohhhhhh, ball tag. We'd chase each other around with a big rubber ball, and we'd play around our friend's house so much and so often that the house began to fall apart, Literally. We broke off wooden beams from the porch because we loved to climb on it, broke fences and water pipes from jumping around, pots were shattered, doors were rammed open, etc. Our friend's parents hated us after multiple stays, but we calmed down as years passed so we were allowed to come over still.

We also used to toss CDs into the air and shatter them with a baseball bat out in the woods, just for the hell of it. Got yelled at by multiple neighbors. Kept doing it anyways.

I miss those carefree days. v:

• Like 2

In middle-school, me and a friend would make our own fireworks. Sometimes they were a success, sometimes things went bad...no major injuries, though there was a time we singed our eyebrows/eyelashes.bangs pretty badly off from a 'poof' of black powder.

Then, we got into making our version of M-80s, to see how loud we could get them...the best method we found was to take a plastic film canister (cameras took film then) and drill a hole in the side for the fuse. We'd fill it about 1/4 of the way with black powder, and the rest would be stuffed with this elastic grey putty. Then, it would get wrapped up in many layers of electrical tape. I recall making one one night, and we walked a few miles, to the next lake past the one we lived on, and damn: lights came on though the trees all around, and when we got home, my parents did not exactly have happy expressions...not that this put a stop to our antics, we were just a bit more careful and quieter.

I miss those times; when I move back to the country, I'd love to take up the hobby of making fireworks, and get the required license and equipment to make the sort that one sees at shows. Rather an art-form.

On August 11, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Strongbob said:

Everything is a risk/reward calculation, you just need to have good information about the risks and a realistic understanding of the reward.  Even Russian roulette can be worth the risks...

[video]

>The Deer Hunter

Thank you for knowing the classics. *joy*

• Like 2

I mean, now that I think about it, "Stupid but fun things repeatedly" can depend on what that stupid thing is. 

• Drugs? You're an adult. Its your money, and you accept the risks when you get into certain drugs- and all drugs carry risks, be they socioeconomical, mental or physical. Its when it starts to affect other people and you don't consider their feelings when you hurt them, it becomes a shitty thing on your part.
  • Food, and any vice other than drugs? Most likely carry the same risk. 
  • In relationships, it gets muddier. When you're in a long term, committed relationship, you no longer just consider you. You consider the person, and the other person considers you. That can be thoughts, feelings, hobbies, even language they use around you. if you start a fun hobby, say, MTG, and it doesn't affect your relationship and as long as you remain adults about it, its a harmless thing. 
  • However, many adults, especially those in committed relationships, try to rationalize "fun and harmless things" when its at the expense of their spouse. Spouses who try to downplay the "fun and harmless" thing to their spouse know they're doing something wrong, and are not stupid. You know, for instance, if your spouse found out a secret they'd be hurt, and it'd be an end to the relationship you two have cultivated together. This usually means drugs, addictions, gambling, or harmless meetings with boys or girls with your spouses limited knowledge. For instance, my mother is a longtime cheater and would rationalize her side pieces (before she fucked them) as "Fun, stupid and harmless fun" to the main side piece. She's since hopefully retired from that behavior, but "Fun and harmless" immediately puts a bad taste in my mouth. Especially when they come from adults who know they're doing something fucking shitty to their spouse- thankfully, the amount of adults I know who do this has greatly dropped since I left home. People like that are fucking scum, and I'm glad I've rid myself of that kinda person in my life. 

This is, of course, all hypotheticals. It all relies on what it is that a person is doing that's "Stupid and harmless fun", as those meanings greatly differ. If its a new hobby, you should be fine. If its a new person, well.. you have some thinking to do, you know?

4 minutes ago, Lemon said:

• However, many adults, especially those in committed relationships, try to rationalize "fun and harmless things" when its at the expense of their spouse. Spouses who try to downplay the "fun and harmless" thing to their spouse know they're doing something wrong, and are not stupid.

I generally don't indulge in things if they cause me a lot of trouble, because I'm responsible for cleaning up my own messes at the end of the day. If I shit the bed, that's something I end up having to deal with.

Not only that, but how does that "trouble" escalate outward? Does it cause problems for my friends and loved ones? Issues that cause you trouble, on a personal level, rarely stay with you, alone.
And they never asked to pay the price for my poor decision-making skills.

I'm not quite self-absorbed or tunnel-visioned enough to validate "the thrill" over preserving my own happiness and the happiness of those I value. Got more enriching shit I could do instead, that isn't gonna fuck me over.

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2016 at 2:07 AM, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Procrastinating with school things.

I don't know about you, but I always feel super stressed and guilty when I procrastinate school things. Not fun at all... yet I still do it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also this post is super late. Whoops.

• Like 2