Trans daughter sued by fundie mother....

Crazy Lee

4 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Fine. I can accept the fact that there are studies that supports prenatal misgender but what I'm gathering they're currently all hypothesis. Call me a cunt or whatever but I remain skeptical until no conclusive study shows otherwise. Also with this brought to light, I have mixed feelings about these so called "studies". It's like these studies are aimed to find out the factors causing transgenders. such study would lead conservatives to believe that there are controllable variables to trangenderism and homosexuality

When a cow has twins of different sexes, the female twin will grow up to display male behaviors, including challenging and mounting other cows. That is caused by male hormones from the other twin affecting the calf's development in utero; learned behavior doesn't seem to be a component. (That particular phenomenon has been known for a hundred years.)

There is strong evidence that the same effect is present in humans (as was pointed out above), but it's hard to prove. You would need to measure fetal hormone levels (which is very difficult) and you would need to be following a large number of people over a long time, because transgendered humans are rare, and humans develop slowly. (Artificially manipulating the hormone levels like you could in cows is unethical.) Then there are other forms of dysphoria that may have unrelated causes or may be concurrent with hormonal anomalies. At the moment, there is a lot of uncertainty about just what is going on, but it seems clear that something unusual is happening.

5 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Fine. I can accept the fact that there are studies that supports prenatal misgender but what I'm gathering they're currently all hypothesis. Call me a cunt or whatever but I remain skeptical until no conclusive study shows otherwise. Also with this brought to light, I have mixed feelings about these so called "studies". It's like these studies are aimed to find out the factors causing transgenders. such study would lead conservatives to believe that there are controllable variables to trangenderism and homosexuality

>Boohoo, people are bending the truth to pander the transgenders feelings.
>We shouldn't prove that's biological because people will want to cure gayz.
??????????????????????

• Like 3

@Mikazuki Marazhu Has stumbled on an interesting topic though. It's likely in the future that a whole new suite of conditions will be more readily diagnosable; if expecting parents discovered that there is a hormonal imbalance in the foetus, and they know that the foetus will grow up to have an elevated risk of suicide attempt  (40%)  and suffer dysphoric feelings, would it be ethical for them to take any action?

The new suite of diagnostic tools which is going to become available soon may be something of a Pandora's box, because it's starting with very ready diagnosis of Down's syndrome, but soon a whole slew of traits and conditions may prove possible to diagnose in utero.

There are going to be very difficult implications.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Fire.

Well, I wasn't really joking.  Really, the 'Cure' for homosexuality is only a 'cure' if someone is working from the perspective that it's a flaw, that something is 'wrong' and not set right somewhere in whatever the hell makes up human sexuality.  What any such 'cure' really would is the discovery of that 'knob' that could direct and determine human sexuality, be it heterosexuality, homosexuality, something in between, or a sexual attraction to waffle irons.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I am a warrior of God!

I stand here to combat the unholy abominations that are gay marriage, abortion and brown people. Just as Jesus commands of us in the bible.

But Jesus said to love one another, to not worry about the rules. Brown people are people too!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

A Mr. @DrGravitas has an affinity for waffles...

I'm over it; we just couldn't iron out our differences. They waffled too much on the big issues and I got tired of buttering them up. We couldn't rise over it; our relationship was flat as a pancake.

That said, I do not believe that human sexuality is as simple as a neurological knob that can be turned about. Like so many things, I expect it to be a complex generative property of several interacting systems reacting and interacting with one another to achieve a sort of homeostasis; centering over one's natural sexuality. Undoubtedly it could be influenced through one means or another, but I expect in no way so simple as to set it and forget it but instead would likely require consistent reconstruction of involved structures throughout growth. We are far, far away from the precision necessary to control things so complex as personality or sexuality to any reasonable degree or permanence.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Glowing Glass said:

lmao christians hating on gays in the name of god again

It's not "Going gay to hell."

It's not "Going trans to hell."

It's  "Going straight to hell."

Wake up America

Maybe they thought saying "Going bendy to hell" would leave them not taken seriously.

24 minutes ago, Troj said:

There are, what, four allusions to homosexual behavior in the Bible, versus 300-some warnings and prohibitions related to heterosexual behavior? Don't quote me on those stats, but you get the idea.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Could you explain this?

On 11/23/2016 at 4:21 PM, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Fine. I can accept the fact that there are studies that supports homosexuality but what I'm gathering they're currently all hypothesis. Call me a cunt or whatever but I remain skeptical until no conclusive study shows otherwise.

FTFY.

Also...

Fine. I can accept the fact that there are studies that supports man made climate change but what I'm gathering they're currently all hypothesis. Call me a cunt or whatever but I remain skeptical until no conclusive study shows otherwise.

The fact is, there are no conclusive studies that prove a lot of things. Including homosexuality. Including transgender. Some people would even argue that climate change is not fully proven. As well as other things out there.

I find it interesting that you would say "Well, the science is unproven in this very specific thing, so I choose to not believe in it solely because it's not 100% proven. Do you show this much certainty in everything else you believe in or don't believe in, or just this one thing.

Also, this one specific thing you said:

all me a cunt or whatever but I remain skeptical until no conclusive study shows otherwise.

Plenty of theories and science out there is pretty much settled but you still have outliers who will put out studies that claim otherwise. Climate change, for example, is pretty much settled but of course there are people who put out studies that say otherwise. You are never going to get 100% on any scientific inquiry. Maybe 90%, maybe 99%, but never 100%. If you wait until all doubt is erased, you're going to wait until the heat death of the universe. There are still going to be Christians who are going to put out studies that say otherwise.

Also, I think proving that homosexuality and transgender is something you're born with, an innate biological part of you, and unchangeable, will make it harder for religious conservatives to claim that people can be changed back to "normal". It's because more people accept homosexuality as something you're born with is why people are more accepting of gays in general now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Saxon said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Could you explain this?

Let the straight person who is without sin cast the first stone, and remove the plank from their own eye before the criticizing the splinter in another's.

Basically, if Christians care about sexual ethics, they need to focus on all of the passages directed at straight people before zeroing in on the few scattered passages that vaguely allude to gay sex.