How to meet other furries in real life?

U-235

Hey Y'all!

Hope you're having a good day when reading this. I sortta am (finals start tomorrow so it's kind of eh). But I wanted to ask a question that's been on my mind for quite a long time, well before I joined the fourm. How do I meet other people who are furries in real life? I live in Atlanta Georgia most of the time because I go to Georgia Tech, so I'm literally in the middle of downtown Atlanta which is one of the biggest cities in the Southeast. It'd seem there should be a few here. I mean we host Furry Weekend Atlanta here. I want to attend but it's a while away and I don't really want to go alone. And I don't really want to advertise it. I kind of feel like back when I was semi-closeted for being gay. I had to take baby steps lol. Anyway back on track. I just want to be able to meet up with other furries IRL but also do so safely. I'm well aware there is a very real danger to meeting people from online in IRL. I've done it before, so I know what to and not to do. But I'm not as familiar with the dynamics of this particular fandom so I want to know what I should be aware of. So does anyone have any suggestions on how I could find friends IRL who are also furries? Does anyone happen to live in or near ATL? Whatever advice is given I'm grateful for. Thanks again guys!

Also for mod's I'd read the rules and I don't think this counts as a location shout out. It's a bit more generalized than that I believe. I'm referring to my specific location in this instance, but it's more for anyone anywhere. On that note, if this does break the rules, then obviously remove it and let me know so I'll know for future reference. Thanks!

I've met furries in real life a couple of times and found I had almost nothing in common with them, but if you go to FWA I expect there will be a mix of people with all kinds of interests there.

Most sizeable towns have regular meetups and secret facebook groups too. I expect if you ask anybody who is going to FWA for information about other meets that they would be able to tell you.

2 minutes ago, Hux said:

Try to meet other furries from your area at cons and see if they know of any local meetups. Or just google "public meetups in my area".

I spent 3 years in my city before I found out there were furry meetups here.

Then I went to one...and left after a man tried to start a public conversation with me about anal prolapse. Good lord, never again.

• Like 2

Hmmm, this is why I asked about the dynamics of this fandom, because I do know it can get kind of weird. Damn, I just want to know if there is some way to meet up in real life and it be with people like the ones on this forum. 

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

Then I went to one...and left after a man tried to start a public conversation with me about anal prolapse. Good lord, never again.

Just like to chip in here and say your experience may vary ^_^ I've been to furmeets in three different cities and the people there were mostly very nice and well-groomed. Except this one guy who shall remain nameless...

...it wasn't ME it was some other guy. Anyway the point is it was fun and largely not too embarassing, even if at one of them people did insist on chasing each other around the park while barking like terriers :D

It's a strange old world.

First off, congratulations on not making a "Any Georgia furs here?" thread :v Thats a big listake for newbies, location threads tend to get locked since if we get so many of these it adds up...

Second, you start by communicating with online groups. Some furs will set up local facebook, FA, or the like. You find those and say hi, most people who have a group will be happy to accept someone and show them the ropes

As far as safety, you meet them at the con itself, its a public area so not too much trouble should be had, just dont go anywhere away from the public eye until you build trust with these new folks.

Your best bet will also be making friends online in your area, once you gain trust you can meet up on a regular basis for fun

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saxon said:

This is why my first reply was a joke. Who actually wants to meet furries IRL? I went a meetup two years ago and left after a man in a diaper shit his pants and needed his "daddy" to change him. I had never seen such a gathering of socially awkward and unhygienic people before in my life. Never again.

I never want to meet 90% of furries.

10 minutes ago, U-235 said:

Hmmm, this is why I asked about the dynamics of this fandom, because I do know it can get kind of weird. Damn, I just want to know if there is some way to meet up in real life and it be with people like the ones on this forum. 

Well, first off, having met people in real life who I previously knew on the internet, I've found people are often very different in real life, compared to the way they present themselves on the internet.

I think if you got to know a few friends at FWA and kept in contact with them, that you would probably enjoy meeting up for a fun event every few weeks.

9 minutes ago, Faust said:

Just like to chip in here and say your experience may vary ^_^ I've been to furmeets in three different cities and the people there were mostly very nice and well-groomed. Except this one guy who shall remain nameless...

...it wasn't ME it was some other guy. Anyway the point is it was fun and largely not too embarassing, even if at one of them people did insist on chasing each other around the park while barking like terriers :D

It's a strange old world.

Yes, I agree that most furries are fine. I feel like most of them are very interested in computer gaming, or animé or something else which I am unable to find interesting, and it's that mismatch in interests which probably explains why I don't really enjoy hanging out with most of them.

This is why my first reply was a joke. Who actually wants to meet furries IRL? I went a meetup two years ago and left after a man in a diaper shit his pants and needed his "daddy" to change him. I had never seen such a gathering of socially awkward and unhygienic people before in my life. Never again.

I never want to meet 90% of furries.

Oh my god! I'm in hysterics.

Yeah, I can't begrudge people for having weird fetishes, but obviously doing that in public spoils everybody else's day.

• Like 1

Hux dont frighten him :v

For cereal though furry cons tend to have crazy drama at times and results and perceptions may vary, but people have fun at them. 

If you build friendships over time even with people not in your area you can always visit others in bigger/other cons, such as AnthroCon or others. It takes more money to travel but oftentimes it can be hard to find friends online in your area alone, being online gives you the advantage of finding cool people in a wider range of area, the drawback being they live so damn far away, it takes money to meet up with anyone you dont live nearby. That means hotel visits and traveling to another state (which some furs do)

Vice versa, for that reason (not knowing many furs in your area) Some people restrict their furry community to online alone, since they make friends there in furry-centric areas which cant be easily found offline

• Like 1

So the point of this post was I wanted to know if there was any specific ways or methods behind the madness in getting to know other furries. Yes I understand shit happens and people are weird. I've been to pride Atlanta  5 times and you wanna know how weird the LGBT community can get? Or maybe how weird it was being a non-flamboyant gay guy surrounded by hyper-flamboyant gay guys some of who were wearing literal leather almost assless chaps? I've got nothing against flamboyant people but still, coming from a small conservative town, it was a new experience. But you know what, I met cool people there, made new friends, and bought neat merchandise. I get there will be and always is weirdness but that's true for any Fandom or any specific group of people. So yeah any advice on how to find the people so I can come to my own conclusions is appreciated.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Well, first off, having met people in real life who I previously knew on the internet, I've found people are often very different in real life, compared to the way they present themselves on the internet

To be fair, it seems in this scenario he's only initially meeting them online so he can find a group to meet with in person, in which case he would meet them in person more rather than build an online perception.

...that said meeting people you know online offline isnt totally a black and white change, theyre still the same person who communicated the same things, but you can see and hear other things they wouldnt naturally communicate online and thats what makes it a little different. Ive met plenty of people offline and the experience was mildly different, you can tell theyre the same person, but probably extra awkward and different because its physical :v It takes time to get used to other aspects of said person

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

To be fair, it seems in this scenario he's only initially meeting them online so he can find a group to meet with in person, in which case he would meet them in person more rather than build an online perception.

...that said meeting people you know online offline isnt totally a black and white change, theyre still the same person who communicated the same things, but you can see and hear other things they wouldnt naturally communicate online and thats what makes it a little different. Ive met plenty of people offline and the experience was mildly different, you can tell theyre the same person, but probably extra awkward and different because its physical :v It takes time to get used to other aspects of said person

Exactly. I've been meeting people from offline it IRL since I was 15. My first time was when I posted on a gay teen Web forum and asked if anyone knew about Athens Ga. One guy responded who was in the county over and we met up and became friends. So yeah it tends to be usually most similar but there cab be some differences. But thank you to everyone who offered me advice on how to go about finding people to meet up with IRL. It's greatly appreciated. Anyone else who wants to post though and has additional advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks y'all!

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/Savannimals/

This is probably the closest I could find to a Georgia FA furry group, Savannah might be a little out of the way, though.

You can probably find FB pages related to the Savannah furries thats more the general Georgia sphere, though...

Good luck!

• Like 1

Meetup.com was my gateway into the fandom after attending my first con, Further Confusion, in 2012.

I've also made friends and acquaintances through Facebook and Furaffinity, as well as at conventions.

The nice thing about the fandom is that once you meet one nice person, they'll typically be willing to introduce you to their friends, who can introduce you to their friends, and so on. I've found it very easy to meet people and chat them up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nova said:

Furries in RL could yiff you :v

Beewear the furries:v

Well if there was any of that going on it'd have to be consensual, so that wouldn't be a problem if it was. Otherwise that wouldn't be legal, and I don't think furries in real life would pull that, usually (there will always be that one person).

10 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Do you know what's frustrating?

There is a forum for northeast Ohio furries that never gets used.

The Ohiofurs profile on FA always orchestrates meets in Cincinnati. That's 4 hours away from me.

Local furry organizations are an elusive bunch.

Yeah there was a savanna forum, but that was inactive when I tried to get in touch. There was also a site specifically for Georgia Furs and I tried to message them and talk to them on their site and FA. But I've not gotten anything back...idk I've got to try Facebook and see where I can get.

2 hours ago, U-235 said:

I should get more involved in Twitter more. Yeah cons seem to be a common way of doing it. There is one here in Atlanta. I'll try to attend it when it comes around.

The buzz is FWA is way better than ANE. That and MFF.

Also, don't bother with "Meet" panels. Them panels are filled with every socially awkward loser ever. I made my of my amigos playing poker and Just Dance 4.

• Like 1