Warning discussion

Ayattar

Considering HR is literal cancer in almost every organization I dunno if I'd be so quick to extol the virtues of it's practices.

Pretty much this. Can you people not come up with a better way in dealing with people or did you learn nothing from FAF. 

Would you believe me if I said I will not ignore those issues if they're well-argued, and by anyone, not just yourself?

I don't know how soon precisely we will propose a new set of rules, but it will be soon.  It's among the many things we're trying to get done to establish our identity and shed ourselves of specific affiliation of or dependence on FA.

Regarding the past, we existed for a long enough stretch of time at this current spot with rules posted that we could reasonably expect them to be understood well enough to be presumed still in effect when neither they nor a formal placeholder are posted in the current database.

Well established (even if ad-hoc) community standards aside, wasn't there also a ToS/AUP click through to join the site?

Considering HR is literal cancer in almost every organization I dunno if I'd be so quick to extol the virtues of it's practices.

HR "tricks" are really just upper management tools, no different than KPI or SMART objectives....although ones perception of them will often depend on where one sits at the table.  

Well established (even if ad-hoc) community standards aside, wasn't there also a ToS/AUP click through to join the site?

HR "tricks" are really just upper management tools, no different than KPI or SMART objectives....although ones perception of them will often depend on where one sits at the table.  

HR has its problems, but they do have to follow company policies like everyone else, and say what upper management wants them to say.

Folks, please stop circlejerking.  You're going to deny the opportunity for anything good coming out of this thread.

I really don't see a point in this thread continuing...? 

I mean if there is, correct me, but I think the discussion has pretty much come to a close.

I really don't see a point in this thread continuing...? 

I mean if there is, correct me, but I think the discussion has pretty much come to a close.

I'm hopelessly optimistic.

If OP wants to actually have a serious discussion then he should make a new thread and stay focused on the topic

Only to have it derailed because a tiny handful of users get into unrelated pissing contests. :<

It's better if folks take a break when spun up, whether for a few minutes or a few hours.

[things]

No, actually it's half. In my opinion 6 of them were questionable, out of which 2 were absolutely undeserved. Like, for example, friendly bashing with Hinalle. I gave examples already, in one of the posts, Clayton's case being the perfect one. And as time passes, the infractions I was recieving were being given for smaller and smaller stuff. With first three of them I never even intended to discuss.

As for the solution, it's simple. Make bans and warnings questionable. But as a judicial body elect not moderators, but some of the forum users, three of them would be the optimum. And give them the power to dismiss moderator's decisions. But to not make it that sweet, so the possibility doesn't get abused, give everyone only two chances to question those decisions. And If they both get used in a row, without suceeding, take them away. Forever. It works just fine in some communities.

Y'know... If anything you guys going on about "Technically there were no rules yet" are the ones reminding me of FA staff going "Well techically we did not send a DMCA". Rules were implied and are now explicitly posted. 

Get used to them, I suppose?

What rules were implied? As I said, there were no indicators at all.

You're breaking two basic rules of the law here. Nulla poena sine lege and lex retro non agit.

How can I even discuss with you?

lmao it's like ayattar summoned an asshole just to back him up

I'm sorry but I haven't done that. I don't see them working towards my benefit. It's like... having Sidewalk Surfboard on your side. Always making you lose in a discussion just by being on your side.

• Like 1

There has been a lot of good discussion here. exempting the shit talking and personal call outs.

Things to consider

1. This thread was meant to question two warnings that were issued which involved the deletion of one thread.

2. A proposal of sorts has been made to add a "ban wall" where we can all see the staffs reasonings for major actions.

3. New forum rules need to be discussed (because honestly I don't know what's in question anymore, it all seems straight forward)

4. What is the differents between shit posting and harrasement? 

Edited by Nolow

Learn more than a single language and get back to me you sack of goat shit. 

You really should learn all the nuances of a language and speak eloquently if you want to be taken more seriously, sure it's nice to learn a second language, but don't let your knowledge of the first one slip just because you want to be bilingual.

Pretty much this. Can you people not come up with a better way in dealing with people or did you learn nothing from FAF. 

Actually, there's quite a lot that can be learned from the imposition of corporate methodology by IMVU on FAF.  If readily recognized and easily understood methodologies for forum governance aren't to your liking, what's your counter proposal?  I'd suggest that e-penis, post counts and fiat "likes" or affinity models  are probably aren't going to fly. 

I cannot say a single intelligent thing

Sorry to hear that

Actually, there's quite a lot that can be learned from the imposition of corporate methodology by IMVU on FAF.  If readily recognized and easily understood methodologies for forum governance aren't to your liking, what's your counter proposal?  I'd suggest that e-penis, post counts and fiat "likes" or affinity models  are probably aren't going to fly. 

But I like feeling superior to people because of my e-penis :( 

As for the solution, it's simple. Make bans and warnings questionable. But as a judicial body elect not moderators, but some of the forum users, three of them would be the optimum. And give them the power to dismiss moderator's decisions. But to not make it that sweet, so the possibility doesn't get abused, give everyone only two chances to question those decisions. And If they both get used in a row, without suceeding, take them away. Forever. It works just fine in some communities.

That's actually a rather interesting concept.  A board of appeals...

Typically admins and smods over mods in the vBulletin world.  Not sure about the new software, nor how it would be prevented from degrading into a star chamber, but it does have merit on the face of it.

Removing the reputation system would be a good start. Does it not line up with "affinity models?" Rules and regulations should always stated from the start. They should be concise too. There is zero room in ambiguity in both business (that shit is wasteful) and development. It leads to confusion and sometimes people not even bothering with regulation. For example, ToS that are too obfuscated. Where the fuck is our rules global? Etc.

I dunno what "tricks" is supposed to be a euphemism for, but as a non-hr/upper-management person I sit at the side of the table that is disgusted by pseudo-psychological profiling, use of "gotcha" style personality inventories, and inquiries into the personal lives of potential and current employees to gleam some imagined insight into their work ethic and competence.

There's a reason middle-management is a quagmire of byzantine power-plays and the workplace is infected with adversarial relationships where cooperation and healthy competition should be.

I've also never interacted with an HR person who didn't have ridiculously inaccurate perceptions about what skills were important in my position in the organization, all the way from "teenager's first retail job" to "educated professional office cube drone" and I suspect that the higher up the management chain you go, the more that rings true as well.

Corporate methodology isn't something anyone should be inspired to emulate. It may be incredibly efficient in weeding out anyone who isn't a technically competent sociopath, but that comes at the cost of being psychic venom that fills an organization with hidden resentment all the way from the ground up. Job satisfaction statistics don't lie, regardless of whether Bob From Marketing smiles at you as you pass each other in the hall.

• Like 1

Removing the reputation system would be a good start. Does it not line up with "affinity models?" Rules and regulations should always stated from the start. They should be concise too. There is zero room in ambiguity in both business (that shit is wasteful) and development. It leads to confusion and sometimes people not even bothering with regulation. For example, ToS that are too obfuscated. Where the fuck is our rules global? Etc.

what makes you think you can shift from utter shitposter to worthwhile contributor

That's actually a rather interesting concept.  A board of appeals...

Typically admins and smods over mods in the vBulletin world.  Not sure about the new software, nor how it would be prevented from degrading into a star chamber, but it does have merit on the face of it.

This would be acceptable is if the ban is posted publicly WITH context. The ban up for question needs Post in question, thread in question, ban reason from the moderation, response from user being banned. After that it's left to a judge + jury system

OR

The user can opt-out of this and keep the ban private between staff and user.

Edited by Toaster

Not sure about the new software, nor how it would be prevented from degrading into a star chamber, but it does have merit on the face of it.

I've never seen a system that couldn't become a star chamber.  It depends on the people themselves and the shape of the liberty they're given by the leadership.

I dunno what "tricks" is supposed to be a euphemism for, but as a non-hr/upper-management person I sit at the side of the table that is disgusted by pseudo-psychological profiling, use of "gotcha" style personality inventories, and inquiries into the personal lives of potential and current employees to gleam some imagined insight into their work ethic and competence.
There's a reason middle-management is a quagmire of byzantine power-plays and the workplace is infected with adversarial relationships where cooperation and healthy competition should be.

I've also never interacted with an HR person who didn't have ridiculously inaccurate perceptions about what skills were important in my position in the organization, all the way from "teenager's first retail job" to "educated professional office cube drone" and I suspect that the higher up the management chain you go, the more that rings true as well.

Corporate methodology isn't something anyone should be inspired to emulate. It may be incredibly efficient in weeding out anyone who isn't a technically competent sociopath, but that comes at the cost of being psychic venom that fills an organization with hidden resentment all the way from the ground up. Job satisfaction statistics don't lie, regardless of whether Bob From Marketing smiles at you as you pass each other in the hall.

I think you bring up a good point. Upper management, and other people who haven't seen the bottom rungs of the ladder for quite some time can have easily lost their touch. They may 'care' but they might not understand what exactly the people below them want probably clashes with what they're actually doing, that's why it's important for people like us to be able to give input/feedback, like in threads like this one.

Unfortunately you can't really remove the reputation system since i now just remember another forums i go to uses this system and it's more of a game maker site.

Okay so I will attempt to bring this thread back on track and away from the ira it has sprung.

Ayattar does have a good point: transparency. I also do believe we should be able to publicly know why people are issued warnings/banned, and to access that information easily.
Kalmor you mentioned, and I'm glad to hear, that this was already under discussion. Great, but we weren't aware of that, hence why ayattar posted this, because under his perspective, just like under any other non-mod user of these forums we could only believe that it hadn't even been thought of.

Why not create a way for us to know what projects are being discussed, and discuss them along with you. Like a section in which every week or two there would be a thread made in which would announced what suggestions are to be discussed, and then the community along with the mods would proceed to discuss it?

I truly believe we could all beneficiate from that, and I hope that I will be heard

• Like 1

But you haven't stooped so low as to resort to petty insults, that I've seen.

I think "shut up nerd" is just about as petty and juvenile as it gets but maybe that gets a pass from you and others because it's obvious that I'm being facetious.

If the assertion is that I'm not venomous in my criticisms or "attacks" on others then it seems like it's less of a problem with people being confrontational and more of an aesthetic preference for "civil" disagreement and if that's the case I can't say that I'm on the same page.

• Like 1

I think "shut up nerd" is just about as petty and juvenile as it gets but maybe that gets a pass from you and others because it's obvious that I'm being facetious.

If the assertion is that I'm not venomous in my criticisms or "attacks" on others then it seems like it's less of a problem with people being confrontational and more of an aesthetic preference for "civil" disagreement and if that's the case I can't say that I'm on the same page.

yeah haha there's you in one corner with "shut up nerd"

and then there's Toaster on the other side, likening me to a dog molester just for the shit of it with practically no incitement on my part

• Like 1

Why not create a way for us to know what projects are being discussed, and discuss them along with you. Like a section in which every week or two there would be a thread made in which would announced what suggestions are to be discussed, and then the community along with the mods would proceed to discuss it?

Forum mods aren't all knowing so I doubt they can do a weekly break down like that and be able to maintain it.

The Sub-forum we are in right now pretty much covers that discussion bit.

yeah haha there's you in one corner with "shut up nerd"

and then there's Toaster on the other side, likening me to a dog molester just for the shit of it with practically no incitement on my part

Dude, the moment passed. I think we can calmly walk away from this. Time to let go.