The personal improvement thread - 2017 edition

Jerry

It's the usual time of the year when we take resolutions (that often don't make it to the next week). But let's cover the much broader concept of self-improvement. What are the things you want to fix in your life this year? I'll lead the way.

Heh... where to begin!

I won't write another entire book describing my adventure of 2016. But the person I was just a year ago, on the same date, was radically different from who I am today while writing this. I was still comforting myself in an illusory mental immobilism, Throughout the years, and almost unconsciously, I denied myself a majority of the aspects of who I am as a person, and I'm not even blowing this out of proportion. With much brainstorming I concluded that it boils down to three things. Thing number one:

63960154.jpg

In some people overcompensation kicks in and changes them for the worst. In my case it's been internalized, which is equally bad. I imposed myself countless barriers over time by fear of judgment, particularly before I hit 14-15-ish, when I obliviously acted as I was naturally, and only forcing things upon myself when necessary (getting laughed at, namely). Which brings me to thing number two.

I certainly won't be remembered for my records in masculinity. While at the end of the day my gender identity is unquestionably masculine, I probably fall very close to pure androgyny, both physical and mental, with a major part of femininity within me that I fought for too long. You can change your actions, but suppressing what nature gave you is useless and tiring. For example, I look like a potato sack in most men's clothing, especially tops. It's a miracle if I properly fill an adult Small. Even then they are often too short. I feel I'd look better if my wardrobe was... androgynized? Is that a word? :P I'm not really comfortable with it, but chances are that adopting women's clothing cuts/fits would do me a favour visually. And I certainly wouldn't mind mixing it with cartoon designs and some colour, just like I used to do before my teenage years.

The third thing and not the least is my orientation. It feels silly to know how oblivious to the situation I was, but it made so much sense when I finally woke up. Why I never felt attracted to girls, why the whole "game" sounded pointless. why that one night at the strip club I wondered what in the HELL I was doing there. At one point it all screamed asexual, but then in the first month of 2016, it became clear men were my thing, not women. It almost feels like a Pandora box now. The desire grows stronger every day, and there's no going back. Unsurprisingly it rejuvenated my libido tremendously. Again, not terribly comfortable of a situation, but I'd really like to be completely out, not just (semi-out) online, by the end of 2017. The idea of a relationship is also getting very tempting, although I still feel a bit shy expressing my interest... zCPCseS.gif

I also struggle with my career choice as a result of my inferiority complex, which led me to wrong choices, basically.

Well, words flow particularly well tonight for some reason. But enough blah-blah, your turn! Anything you'd like to fix in your life this year?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Things I need to fix?

The exhaust on my car.

As for improvement, I hope to continue my welding education and be able to obtain a cool job with decent pay.

And I can always work on my people skills...

Speaking of welding, I still need to figure out how to stick-weld in the overhead position. Didn't have much time to give it a try, because... well, two of my classmates and I were too busy "trying" to weld with fluxless 1/8" electrodes running the welder at 175A 

Spoiler: it's porous and rusty, but man the arc length is hilarious. dignitylaughplz.gif

• Like 1

Congrats and good luck, Jerry! Sounds like you have great things ahead.

As for myself, I need to do more than just work on work and my hobbies this year. I need to get out more or something. I don't know what or where, though. Not this week, though. This week I have to work after hours. And next week too. Oh, and I really need to finish that pool setting so I guess that should be a goal. That going to take a lot of free time, too.

• Like 3

This holiday, my plan was to sharpen my long distance running skills as best I could in preparation for a national cross country competition at the start of February
Today I ran 5km in 18min28sec, which I'm pleased with given that I was running across pavements, roads and grass during the end-of-school rush

Problem is I'm neglecting my actual university work

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Strongbob said:

This year I resolve to attend a fur-con to see what it's all about, or maybe I'll just hide under a bridge for three days, hard to say which I would find more beneficial. 

This is me
There's a nearby one. I'll probably go, I guess

But I can't comprehend which parts of it I'd actually enjoy

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DrDingo said:

This is me
There's a nearby one. I'll probably go, I guess

But I can't comprehend which parts of it I'd actually enjoy

If you know the name, you can check it out online and find a schedule of events, or at least the schedule from the last one if it's still a while before. It's always easier to make have resolve on something concrete.

One of the things I plan to do towards my 'expand into other stuff besides work' is attending Anthrocon. But, I've been planning that for a while now.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

If you know the name, you can check it out online and find a schedule of events, or at least the schedule from the last one if it's still a while before. It's always easier to make have resolve on something concrete.

One of the things I plan to do towards my 'expand into other stuff besides work' is attending Anthrocon. But, I've been planning that for a while now.

All of us reluctant fur-con attendees should form up and go to a con someday. There is safety in numbers. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

You're not thinking big enough.

Start your own con.

Ackwardcon 2017!   The con for the curious fan who knows better, but just can't stay away.  Bring the whole family!  But actually don't, do you really want them to know you're into this kind of stuff?  I didn't think so!   We won't tell if you don't.  Including panals on remaining anonymous in a room and how to cleanse your browser history!  

• Like 1

Congrats Jerry :) Sounds like a lot of realizations happened and hopefully a lot of improvement this coming year, Im quite happy for you.

...as for me, I want to complete school this coming semester hopefully, I want to get a tattoo or some, I want to work more on my art, Cuddle with my cats and my partner, and I want to come out to my family at last, the final nail in the coffin where I dont have to worry anymore and just let myself be as is and let anybody else think whatever they like.

I've come a long way in one year, Here's hoping some more progress is made on another bright and shiny year

• Like 1

Hmm, well recently I purchased a brand new and very nice electric piano for myself and look forward to spending a lot of time mastering the art of playing it. I also need to start looking into a career path that I'd like to take, something to do with music would be optimal, as it would be something I really enjoy. Making more music this year is also something I want to work on. I've been slacking quite a bit in that department. I also would like to invest some time in learning a new martial art, maybe something like Krav Maga. But it all depends on how much time and money I have after dealing with more important matters in the end.

• Like 1

Lots of inputs here, it's nice to read!

On 05/01/2017 at 0:44 PM, Shiro said:

Hmm, well recently I purchased a brand new and very nice electric piano for myself and look forward to spending a lot of time mastering the art of playing it. I also need to start looking into a career path that I'd like to take, something to do with music would be optimal, as it would be something I really enjoy. Making more music this year is also something I want to work on. I've been slacking quite a bit in that department. I also would like to invest some time in learning a new martial art, maybe something like Krav Maga. But it all depends on how much time and money I have after dealing with more important matters in the end.

*totally not interested*

Which model? C=