When I Was Little

Feelwell

I thought the underground railroad was an actual series of underground tunnels with trains. I really wanted to visit them. I was so heartbroken when I found out that no, people did not build elaborate underground train networks to transport freed slaves, and no I cannot ride it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Socketosis said:

Someone told me in high school their older brother convinced them to eat poo out of the crapper because he said it was a hotdog.

When I was little, I thought if you couldn't see someone, they couldn't see you either.

A classic

3 minutes ago, Zop said:

I thought the underground railroad was an actual series of underground tunnels with trains. I really wanted to visit them. I was so heartbroken when I found out that no, people did not build elaborate underground train networks to transport freed slaves, and no I cannot ride it.

I'll be honest, same here.

Whenever I heard "underground railroad" I still imagine a giant echoey train tunnel.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

I pretended to believe in Santa Claus for way longer than one otherwise would, because I had concluded the only reason my parents and so many others would make that up was because they enjoyed pretending and playing as him and I didn't want to ruin their fun.

I pretended to believe in sinterklaas longer than i actually dud believe because i was afraid i wouldn't get any gifts for saint nicks day ever again if people knew i didn't believe sinterklaas gave them.

• Like 1

I rode my bike while wearing rollerskates with untied shoelaces (despite my parents telling me not to), which got wrapped up in the wheel, pulled me off balance and, when I tried to put my foot down to catch myself, flipped me forward to the ground and broke my arm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrGravitas said:

I rode my bike while wearing rollerskates with untied shoelaces (despite my parents telling me not to), which got wrapped up in the wheel, pulled me off balance and, when I tried to put my foot down to catch myself, flipped me forward to the ground and broke my arm.

Ouch!

When I was little, me and my brother did a dumb thing. I think we might have been 10. Anyway, my parents decided to run into town, and said we could stay, and continue playing at whatever we were playing at, and reminded us: No taking the horses out, unless they were home. So, we decided to ride my mom's horse, Bambi, bareback. We had her on a lead and were going from the barn to the fields, through this small grove of apple trees, when she reared up wildly, and the lead rope got caught on a tree somehow. She ran in circles, thus trapping us both more and more tightly against the tree, and when she was out of length, the pressure was so great, I was sure we were going to die, then, her harness broke, freeing us, and we never took the horses out again. We had bruises, and were very sore.

I can't recall how we got her back in, or explained the broken harness, but we never said a word about it, to this day.

Edit: This did have the effect of learning to respect just how strong and powerful horses are, and the caution and respect this mandates.

• Like 2

Crawling on the ground and blending in like a chameleon was super fun to do, in fact I hid so well @Pignog would step on my head mistakenly loads of times! Learned my lesson after I had to get stitches on my chin.

5 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

When I was little, I thought my dog could understand everything I said to him, but just had no way to fully communicate back more fully, but that if he could, he would have. 

That's actually so cute ~

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

When I was little, me and my brother did a dumb thing. I think we might have been 10. Anyway, my parents decided to run into town, and said we could stay, and continue playing at whatever we were playing at, and reminded us: No taking the horses out, unless they were home. So, we decided to ride my mom's horse, Bambi, bareback. We had her on a lead and were going from the barn to the fields, through this small grove of apple trees, when she reared up wildly, and the lead rope got caught on a tree somehow. She ran in circles, thus trapping us both more and more tightly against the tree, and when she was out of length, the pressure was so great, I was sure we were going to die, then, her harness broke, freeing us, and we never took the horses out again. We had bruises, and were very sore.

Are you sure you're not just remembering an episode of Black Beauty or Follyfoot? :)

1 hour ago, Faust said:

Are you sure you're not just remembering an episode of Black Beauty or Follyfoot? :)

I'm sure! It's among those memories that gets lodged in you, due to being having been so close to your demise...somehow, those sorts of things stick with me, in vivid detail: a bad car accident, getting mugged and wondering what might happen.

~

OK, back to being little:

When I was little, my folks never went to church, so these neighbors decided to take me with some kids my age, to this Baptist Sunday School. I was maybe 8, and very into science. So at this Sunday school, they had this felt blackboard thingy, and it had grass and trees, and they went around and asked the kids, "Now what's another thing God created?", and somebody might say "A flower". or "A bird", so they'd stick a flower or a bird up. So when it got to my turn, I said he didn't create anything, maybe it was already here, and besides, what proof was there? Icy stares, silence.

I recall that pale blue bus rattling back home down the dirt road we lived on, and not having to go back. I remember also thinking it was very boring, and a waste of a perfectly good day off.

• Like 2

When I was little I used to climb the tree in the back garden a lot, then sometimes go from it onto the much bigger tree in the neighbour's garden via the touching branches (I was 6 so didn't know what trespassing was) and proceed to go as far as I could go up the bigger tree. From there it must have been 30 meters high because I could see over the house easily.

Then one day I had just got from my tree's branches to the lowest branch on the bigger tree and shuffled along to the trunk of it. I stood up at this point to move to the next branch and managed to slip and fall 5 meters or so onto the rockery at the bottom of the bigger tree.

I then got up and went running round the neighbour's garden in pain not realizing I had cracked open before collapsing.

The last thing I recall hearing was said neighbour bitching at me (not really caring I was bleeding out and losing consciousness), the ambulance, and the paramedic telling me to hold the oxygen mask on my face.

I fear my skull is now structurally compromised (The emergency surgery was less than perfect) and if I where to have similar trauma I'd die.

When I was little, say maybe 10 or 11, I decided one day I would run away, and live in the woods, after a fight with my parents. So I took my dog, a Malamute-Collie mix, some food, nuts, some beef jerky for me and the dog, and started out into the massive Manistee State Forest that abutted our own land, walking along streams, stopping to rest and drink water. I had no well thought out plans; I hand not though even of bringing a knife or matches; I think it was some 36 hours later when I was discovered, crossing a road some miles to the south of us. I still would not mind running away, into the woods, come to think of it.

Alright time for another story.

When I was little, (and this is something a close friend of mine will never let me forget) around JK (Junior Kindergarten, basically pre-school) we had gotten a lot of snow. Now of course all the self-respecting kids that wanted to have snow fights brought full snow suits, my friend brought a coat and snow pants.

Apparently this drove me crazy enough I had to lecture her on what was and wasn't a snow suit. All in a tiny kindergarten voice.

• Like 1

Boy howdy where do I begin?

Well, one time little me, roughly around...kindergarden to 2nd grade?  I went to school in a black tutu and leotard.  I gave no fucks because I wanted to wear my dance class uniform goddamnit.  Another time, same age, I went dressed as Cinderella, though in my defense it was Halloween and I didn't want to change for the class parade at school (this was a dance uniform as well, so feathers and rhinestones all over.  I didn't want it to get ruined by stuffing it in my bag).

Another time I lectured a kindergarden teacher on dinosaurs.  Just imagine a little fat child with pigtails, dressed in overalls and an Eeyore sweater lecturing an adult on the differences between a Diplodocus and Brontosaurus, complete with the indignation of being told 'it didn't matter, they're both long-necks'.  Little me was a sassy bitch, what the hell happened xD

• Like 2

In an era before the internet, when I was little, my father had a series of books, with color prints by various artists I loved to look through: Picasso, Goya, Van Gogh, nothing too exotic. But I always remember that I was scared to look at the last picture in the Goya book, an artist I admire inordinately for his foretelling of modernism, and that was the one of Saturn biting off the head of his child, which he is is said to have had displayed in his dining room, during his final, 'dark period'. I still recall the terror, as I could not help but take a peek at that picture, around age 7, I think.

saturn_devouring_his_sons-large.jpg

I would like to see this painting, one day, in person...I assume it is in El Prado, Madrid but am not certain.

2 hours ago, Fossa-Boy said:

In an era before the internet, when I was little, my father had a series of books, with color prints by various artists I loved to look through: Picasso, Goya, Van Gogh, nothing too exotic. But I always remember that I was scared to look at the last picture in the Goya book, an artist I admire inordinately for his foretelling of modernism, and that was the one of Saturn biting off the head of his child, which he is is said to have had displayed in his dining room, during his final, 'dark period'. I still recall the terror, as I could not help but take a peek at that picture, around age 7, I think.

saturn_devouring_his_sons-large.jpg

I would like to see this painting, one day, in person...I assume it is in El Prado, Madrid but am not certain.

To be fair, that's a freaking terrifying picture.

So, just remembered this applies here:

I've done this a lot throughout the years because I'm often focusing on something else... But, when I was out shopping with my Mom (always seems to be with my Mom, not my Dad.) I'd often mistake our van for other, similar or same vans. So I'd attempt to get in them. 

What's even better is the vast majority of them are unlocked. In store parking lots. With no one watching.

I've found someone's wallet outright sitting in plain view in an unlocked car. 

That probably ranks as one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

• Like 1

When I was 7 or so I cut the cable of the hoover in two with scissors and plugged the section with the plug on into the wall before turning the plug socket on.

I then went and touched the exposed wires with my finger, making a small spark and barely noticeable pain before getting bored and going to do something less stupid.

I was lucky to not be electrocuted and the hoover was replaced as it was worn out anyway. This hasn't had any bearing on me doing electrical engineering. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lopaw said:

This hasn't had any bearing on me doing electrical engineering. 

Liar liar

14 hours ago, george99g said:

I once plugged a 9V charger into the wall socket and licked the 9V end.

It tasted like stupidity.

I once licked a pole in below freezing weather to see if my tongue would actually stick.
It did and I was terrified. I managed to get it off before it became too bad, but damn I couldn't taste anything for awhile.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

I once licked a pole in below freezing weather to see if my tongue would actually stick.
It did and I was terrified. I managed to get it off before it became too bad, but damn I couldn't taste anything for awhile.

Lol, I did the same thing too, once xD