Halloween Movies

Butters

I love Halloween. It's my all time favorite holiday. Better than Easter, better than Christmas! And I adore watching Halloween oriented films like Hocus Pocus and Halloween Town. (Yes I'm just that nerdy) 

horror is always good for it too. I particularly love Poltergeist. 

It just just sets you up for that spooky mood. What are your favs Phoenix?

There's a bunch of public domain horror stuff on YouTube if anyone wants to check out the classics, including B-movies. Don't deny yourself of the cheese, take it from a rat.

(I mean that like take my advice, don't literally take my cheese.)

https://www.youtube.com/user/BestPDMovies has a lot.

80s/90s horror are great, too. Monster icons like Freddie and Jason add nostalgia into the mix. That's what the holiday's all about.

• Like 1

There's a bunch of public domain horror stuff on YouTube if anyone wants to check out the classics, including B-movies. Don't deny yourself of the cheese, take it from a rat.

(I mean that like take my advice, don't literally take my cheese.)

https://www.youtube.com/user/BestPDMovies has a lot.

80s/90s horror are great, too. Monster icons like Freddie and Jason add nostalgia into the mix. That's what the holiday's all about.

It better not be my cheese

It better not be my cheese

All rats get to keep their cheese while I'm around. ;) We get first dibs. Cows are just renting that milk.

Oh, and Monster Squad is a good 80s Halloween movie with the classic characters. Kid's movie, but it's from that era where they were allowed to swear every once and a while.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"In the Mouth of Madness" is my personal favorite. It's very Lovecraftian, but I don't want to say too much about it. Just watch it.

It really isn't. 

It used to be my favorite movie, but as I got older, frankly,  compared to Banshee Chapter, or Absentia, or The Corridor, or... anyway, the point is there's many movies much better at emulating Lovecraft. In the Mouth of Madness just explains too much, lacks atmosphere and... there's something else I'm forgetting, but the point is really poor at making Lovecraftian vibes.

(And frankly, Lovecraftian vibes older horror wasn't really good at. They had too much gore and such)

Edited by Tyranno
Pumas ate my homework and puma cubs

Oh, if any of you guys have Netflix and want a good horror recommendation, I suggest V/H/S 1 & 2 for anyone who hasn't seen em yet. They're pretty good. Just remember, ignore V/H/S Viral, don't fucking watch that one, it's horrible.

That isn't the first time I've heard that sentiment about Viral. Still going to watch it anyway. Although, speaking of that movie, its sad that I'm still waiting for at least four Frightfest 2014 movies to be released to the public, and there's at least that many sequels/remakes nobody needed that were regurgitated into hundreds of theaters around the world this year.

I suspect a bigger disappointment to many people would be Hellions. Pontypool is the scariest movie I've seen, and doing something completely different to trying to make a scarier film but.... 

other than people who love the movies of David Lynch (or was it Cronenburg?  The incoherent-ish narrative one, anyway) I can't really recommend Hellions

It used to be my favorite movie, but as I got older, frankly,  compared to Banshee Chapter, or Absentia, or The Corridor, or... anyway, the point is there's many movies much better at emulating Lovecraft. In the Mouth of Madness just explains too much, lacks atmosphere and... there's something else I'm forgetting,

The fact that it's basically a comedy?

That isn't the first time I've heard that sentiment about Viral. Still going to watch it anyway. Although, speaking of that movie, its sad that I'm still waiting for at least four Frightfest 2014 movies to be released to the public, and there's at least that many sequels/remakes nobody needed that were regurgitated into hundreds of theaters around the world this year.

I suspect a bigger disappointment to many people would be Hellions. Pontypool is the scariest movie I've seen, and doing something completely different to trying to make a scarier film but.... 

other than people who love the movies of David Lynch (or was it Cronenburg?  The incoherent-ish narrative one, anyway) I can't really recommend Hellions

I think me and my roommate have Pontypool on our Netflix list. Might check that out soon if it's good.

Oh, if any of you guys have Netflix and want a good horror recommendation, I suggest V/H/S 1 & 2 for anyone who hasn't seen em yet. They're pretty good. Just remember, ignore V/H/S Viral, don't fucking watch that one, it's horrible.

I would also recommend the remake of the Omen. Scared the fuck outta me when it came out years ago. That tension in the hospital <3

The fact that it's basically a comedy?

I've heard of at least one other person interpreting it that way, but it isn't common. Besides, being in a trilogy with The Thing and Prince of Darkness makes that very unlikely.

Though, if it is comedic, that lowers my viewpoint of it even further. Same reason I consider Re-Animator a very poor Lovecraftian film.

I start things off with "The Halloween Tree". After that, anything goes. I am a major horror nut (not sure where I got the horror freak gene from, since no one else in my family likes them). I even bring out the Japanese horror movies like "Kairo" ("Pulse"), "Chakushin Ari" ("One Missed Call"), and "Ju-on: The Curse" ("The Grudge"). As well as all the Hellraiser and Nightmare on Elm Street movies I can get my paws on

• 1 year later...