Rant: Procrastinating

Nolorio

I hate it.  Procrastinating ruins everything and I can't even help it.  One minute I'll be all hyped up to do something fun that I want to do, and the next minute I'm doing whatever else, thinking "oh, I should do that thing.  Meh, maybe later."  And then the next day I think "Damnit!  I didn't do that one thing I was going to do yesterday and now I don't have time." or whatever, you get the point.  It's also the reason I never get things turned in on time.  So yeah, I'm basically blaming myself, but for some reason saying "you fucking idiot, you ran out of time AGAIN!" in my head every time I have something I need to do something.  And now I'm rambling AND OH SHIT now I have a project late for Spanish because I put it off at 5 when I remembered I had it due the first time.  FUCK.

Whats great is when it all piles up and you avoid the responsibilities and the guilt still weighs down on you.

Oh yeah, gotta love that feeling.  Nothing like having a voice in the back of your head constantly telling you that you suck at life.

I can relate to this. Im awful at procrastinating. Sometimes I start procrastinating and then I start procrastinating over the thing I was originally doing to procrastinate too.

Personally, I think that I just need to start start forcing myself to do schoolwork and other things. I dunno about anyone else but I think it'll work for me, I've done it a few times before and it has worked so I just need to do it every time I realise I'm procrastinating.

If you use google chrome there's a really good plugin called StayFocused you should get. It has a "nuclear mode" which blocks all your internet access on chrome for a few hours so you don't have any distractions from studying/work/whatever, but you can whitelist sites you want to be able to access in case you need the internet but just not all the distracting websites. It also lets you blacklist websites too, in case you just want to block a few instead. You can also put limits/quotas on how many hours you spend on a website, and when you've used that up it blocks the site for the rest of the day.

I'd really recommend getting it if you use chrome, it really helped me during my exams last May and I'm starting to use it again for studying and homework now. If you haven't got chrome just look for a similar plugin because it really does help with procrastination.

My procastination has been really bad throughout my life. My teachers constantly commented on it, and it's become debilitating in university.

I actually have an appointment booked on Tuesday for the Doctor to see if I can be prescribed aderall (preferably a milder substitute) and if that has a positive effect. I've been trying to fix it for the past decade so I figured I should finally explore the option of prescribed drugs.

Edit: It's more of an inability to concentrate on one thing. I have an attention span of like, 5 minutes max, then my mind begins to wander. I counted the numbed of times it happened during classes and it was something like 20+ times per class. So yeah...

There was a period of time when that happened to me a lot too but it's mostly stopped now.  Cutting off anything with caffeine in it helped a lot even though I didn't feel caffeine did anything for me, so if you can live without it, you might want to give that a shot.

My thing often involves browsers and computers :(

So does mine! Just stop opening browsers and programs that you don't need. Have some self-conviction, otter boy.

Or get one of those browser apps that block websites which you procrastinate on, for a period of time :v

When I work, I get the bare minimum amount I need to do done.

By which I mean, I'll do what I have to do, but I just can't do voluntary stuff. Stuff like revision, coding and working on projects. Time and time again I overlook this shit, instead telling myself I need some peaceful time to relax and play games.

What sucks is when it happens during work and yer work all piles up and ye hear the sweet sound of deadlines rush past you  and ye just keep calm and get all yer stuff in a box as ye prepare to leave for work for the day. Or the rest of the week. Or the month. 

Then ye realize ye don't have a job and procrastinate on finding one again cuz there are better things to do. Like post here on this thread.