Oh No! 'Rainfurrest' is Might Stop Being a Thing!

PastryOfApathy

@Current topic:

Moving on...
Can't say that I'm surprised. I'm predicting that, if this keeps happening, there won't be any more cons in the future because no venue will be willing to host a furry convention. I'm not even kidding.
This isn't the only con where they trashed the hotel every year. I bet there are cons where things are going just fine, but what's gonna happen now? Those who wrecked the RF hotel will move on to other cons and probably cause damage there as well. So even cons where they never had issues like this are now in danger of losing their venues.

I bet these cons bring in a lot of cash for them, but what good is that when you have to deal with deranged social rejects and repair half the hotel afterwards?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Käpt'n said:

@Current topic:
Can't say that I'm surprised. I'm predicting that, if this keeps happening, there won't be any more cons in the future because no venue will be willing to host a furry convention. I'm not even kidding.
This isn't the only con where they trashed the hotel every year. I bet there are cons where things are going just fine, but what's gonna happen now? Those who wrecked the RF hotel will move on to other cons and probably cause damage there as well. So even cons where they never had issues like this are now in danger of losing their venues.

I bet these cons bring in a lot of cash for them, but what good is that when you have to deal with deranged social rejects and repair half the hotel afterwards?

Eh, I beg to differ. We talk as if furry cons are the only ones that damage property, but there are tons of other cons out there, too. And I can promise you that some crazy shit happens there just like it happens at our cons. With your mode of thinking, all cons would eventually cease to exist because the rejects from others would just keep floating around, which isn't going to happen. I'm willing to bet a lot of those people went to RF because it was nearby, which means they most likely won't spend a shit-ton to go to one, say, across the country. And if it keeps getting worse and worse, I like to think that eventually the problem causers could be identified and banned if need be, especially if they're a suiter.

13 minutes ago, axelthefox said:

I don't like this guy. I don't like his face. He has too much mouth. It's a bad mouth:face ratio.

And I don't like his room. It's not a good room. It looks like he has boy scouts chained to the radiator in his basement. I want him to change his room and his face.

10 minutes ago, axelthefox said:

It's insightful, but there's one thing I disagreed with:

If you make the same suggestion over and over and they refuse to listen or heed it or address and think of ways to get , it is their fault. If they knew that they didn't have enough staff to cover certain areas that needed coverage, there are always ways to remedy that. One of them is recruiting more volunteers and better incentives for volunteering, as well as getting the one's that are frequent volunteers on staff. 

3 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

I've heard of 9/11 hoaxers...

But glory hole hoaxers? 

Some people are furry drama deniers. 

10 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

Moving on...

to be fair, a lot of cons have this problem but usually it's a few select people making a mess. and usually it's stuff like not throwing away trash and leaving the rooms a mess. but walking around in shit filled diapers and hiding them around the venue is not only gross in its own right but hazardous to everyone else. hell, I don't even think the guys walking around in full fetish gear were the real problem although I'm assuming that it's kind of inappropriate if there's kids around. or is Rainfurrest 18+?

5 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Some of them might think you're a...

...party pooper

ZING

is it possible to report someone for making such a terrible pun >:(

5 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

Seems Rainfurrest isn't the only place with this problem....

(well, except for the fetish stuff)

yeah I read about this earlier and it's so disappointing. It happens so often and it's because the people who attend the con have zero sense of public decency and feel they're entitled to the con space. 

that's also why a lot of con goers have no fucking clue what personal space is or how to treat people because they see everyone in it (specifically cosplayers) as objects rather than people 

• Like 3

So Katsucon was held this last weekend in National Harbor, MD, and the Gaylord Resort and Convention Center is a bit worse for wear because of it. Although the actual fire that occurred was not attendee related, most of the damage was caused by the congoers themselves.

The hotel was asking for it!!!

• Like 2

Thoughts from a staff member:

http://orrery.prismaticmedia.com/2016/02/20/rainfurrest-2016-post-mortem/

In this environment, the issues of 2015 were just the logical progression of a process that had been going for four years. The convention was a security nightmare from beginning to end: We sent multiple attendees to the hospital for drug-related issues. We had reports that a former staffer committed sexual assault, and reports that a current staffer committed old-fashioned regular assault. In one case it took two hours for the report of the incidents to make it from the staff to the hotel. The roto-rooter company showed up twice over the course of the weekend. Somebody stuffed a bunch of towels into the hot tub drain and damaged the pump. Somebody else deliberately loosened a bolt in a bathroom, causing the next person who flushed the toilet to flood the room with two-and-a-half inches of water… directly above one of the hotel’s basement server rooms. Even the posters we put up around the hotel for the con game got vandalized or stolen. No act of destruction was too petty, or too grand.

What do you expect. You put on a convention for a fandom that's filled with a whole ton of manchildren (and womenchildren, less I'm accused of sexism).

I was reading the rest of that blog post I posted up there and it seemed the convention had attempted to move to Spokane (on the other side of Washington), but then someone tipped the hotel off to the con's issues:

Less than a day before, somebody sent an email to the hotel with enough of RainFurrest’s past history, laid out in excruciating detail, that the general manager himself killed the contract and demanded we remove the name of his venue from our site, which is why I haven’t named it here. I don’t know who sent the letter. I don’t know precisely what was in it. I only know that the letter came from a sufficiently credible source that the general manager of the hotel took it seriously, and I know its contents were specific and damning enough to flip the general manager from being willing to work with us despite an awareness of our issues to not wanting any association with us whatsoever. We still had a contract with the convention center as of Friday afternoon, but without the room night guarantee to offset the cost, we had no way to afford their rates. In the end, one email sent by one person was enough to kill RainFurrest. If people want a single target at which to point fingers, it would be easy to call that person out and say they’re to blame.

Which is kinda shitty beacuse it seems like at least some people were trying to make the con better, but if anyone's to blame it's the con itself, as well as the idiots who acted like kids and screwed up the con. The con didn't try hard enough to keep attendees in line, enforce rules, and kick out troublemakers. And congoers didn't grow the hell up (typical for a lot of cons really). And whoever sent that email really didn't want the con to continue (it wasn't anyone from here was it? :V ). 

I'd say wait a year or two, look for a venue somewhere far away (Portland, Vancouver?), CHANGE THE NAME OF THE CON ("Are you related to that rainfurrest con", "Nope, we have nothing to do with them... we're a new con"), hire new staff that can run a con properly, and try starting over. If you don't do any of that, especially the part of getting people who can run the con and keep idiots in line, you'll done goof all over again, and furs will be hated throughout the northwest.

8 hours ago, Saxon said:

I really don't understand what people could possibly get out of damaging plumbing, stealing posters or hitting each other...

Furries are immature (wo)man children. Alcohol could be part of it. Peer pressure or trying to impress friends/show off could be another. The thrill of the moment could be another. But yea, when you're having fun (and drinking) and you're immature even the stupidest things seem funny as hell, and you get that little thrill of endorphins when you do something edgy and controversial, and in the moment probably think it's funny as shit too. 

Edited by Crazy Lee

"In the end, one email sent by one person was enough to kill RainFurrest."

Yeah, sure. One person who sent an email that contained nothing but the truth killed the con and not the antisocial manchildren who wrecked the last hotel. Sounds about right! :v

I get why they posted that, they don't want to blame their customers directly.

After receiving a mail like that you can't blame the hotel management for cancelling the contract. I'm sure they researched what happened at the last con as well before cancelling a contract over a random email. Afterall, an event like this would mean big business for a hotel venue. 

That blog post is instructive and educational on a number of levels, even if you're not a furry or a furry-con organizer.

Basically, the post illustrates the dangers of common cognitive errors and bad habits like:

• Assuming everything is OK because no one's said that things aren't OK. (i.e., Minor Ostriching)
  • Hoping everything is OK because you don't know how you'd deal with things not being OK (i.e., Major Ostriching)
  • Assuming someone is "fine" with a situation or problem because they assured you they would handle it. (i.e., Wishful Thinking + Passing the Buck)
  • Assuming you don't have to deal with or think about a problem because someone else has offered to deal with it. (i.e., Passing the Buck)
  • Assuming everything is OK because everyone else seems calm, cool, and confident, and/or because the people in charge are saying everything's OK. (i.e., The Milgram Effect and the Asch Effect Have a Baby, and Name it This Exact Situation).
  • Insisting on controlling something, even if that means running it into the ground, or holding information hostage. (i.e., Counterproductive Pride)
  • Trying to cover up or deny embarrassing mistakes (Counterproductive Pride 2: Self-Sabotage Boogalo)
  • Trying to cover up or deny gaps in your skill-set or your knowledge (Counterproductive Pride 3: The Pridening)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

Yeah, sure. One person who sent an email that contained nothing but the truth killed the con and not the antisocial manchildren who wrecked the last hotel. Sounds about right! :v

Chances are they weren't aware of the true extent of the damage and behavior. I'd be willing to bet someone from one of the other venues got a hold of the numbers and relayed that to them, alongside everything else obviously. The email is a result of the antisocial manchildren, so they did in fact kill the con.

• Like 1

If you want more cringe, look at these tweets made by RF's former chairman last night. It seems they still can't understand that people wearing fetish gear in public at the con isn't a problem:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbyPa8CW8AAIfrN.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbyRNXVWIAIesn6.png

I particularly can't believe him saying there's "no evidence" kinky furs were part of the problem. As if those photos everyone's seen didnt have something to do with it. I'll be very suprised if they weren't in those emails sent to the hotel! Talk about sticking your head in the sand!

Edited by JamesTheDog

49 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Tbh I don't care about people wearing saucy costumes, provided it's in an adult environment, as with leather conventions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mr._Leather

So then we must label furry conventions as 18+ places.

It's people like that clueless RF guy that ruined RF. Bad management and a blind eye to damages.

Edited by Calemeyr

Just now, Saxon said:

Yeah I agree; at least some furry conventions should be for adults only. It's not like people are taking their kids along.

Was RF 18+? If so, then I guess let your freak flag fly. I mean, as long as you aren't like pooping your pants in public or having naked sex in the lobby, then I suppose leather and rubber isn't so bad. Diapers are still a little much.

2 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I believe somebody mentioned that a 12 year old attended?

I don't think it's a good idea for convention staff to allow minors into furry conventions anyway, given that so much stuff in the furry fandom is sexual. You'd think that prohibiting children would just be common sense. 

And this is one reason why I kinda don't want to go to a furry con. At least they could pretend they aren't about sex and weird fetishes (even though they are), like anime cons. 

Edited by Calemeyr

I guess it depends on the nature of most of the panels and when they happen. However, lots of "Furry parents" bring their kids to conventions during the daytime and avoid the raunchy stuff. Then again, from what I hear about RF I do not understand why anyone would want to bring their Kid there 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I guess it depends on the nature of most of the panels and when they happen. However, lots of "Furry parents" bring their kids to conventions during the daytime. 

You know, you rarely ever hear about furry parents. Like, you don't see parents people talking about the fandom on FB or anything like you would, say, Sci Fi/cosplay/TTRPGs. It's like we're freemasons or something.

Edited by Calemeyr

Just now, Saxon said:

I guess most furries are young gay men, so they're not likely to be parents. 

True, despite what all those furry survey people say. A good 30% of the fandom is LGBT, 70-80% is male, and a very large majority is under 30. Add all that together and you have few parents.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Troj said:

Basically, the post illustrates the dangers of common cognitive errors and bad habits like

I can't believe there's actual terminology for all of those...

16 hours ago, Käpt'n said:

If you read what the person said after the paragraph I quoted, she acknowledged it was due to the fact that the staff wouldn't deal with the manchildren like they were supposed to.

The real truth, though, is that one individual only had that kind of power because RainFurrest had such an unstable history in the first place. Yes, a lone gunman pulled the trigger, but the board and the executive staff sold them five years’ worth of bullets. We neglected our reputation in the fandom at large. We ignored the negative chatter about RainFurrest. We repeatedly rehired security staff who left their posts and were unwilling to remove problem attendees. We didn’t train people before putting them in front of the public. We ignored damage reports spanning multiple years and tens of thousands of dollars. We gave authority over departments to people who couldn’t or wouldn’t perform in the role. We never demanded specific plans to deal with our problems and trusted that we would just deal with it. We, the past and present leadership of RAIn, killed the convention, letting it wither from neglect to a point that one person with too much inside information and a grudge could finish us off.

5 hours ago, Calemeyr said:

Was RF 18+? If so, then I guess let your freak flag fly. I mean, as long as you aren't like pooping your pants in public or having naked sex in the lobby, then I suppose leather and rubber isn't so bad. Diapers are still a little much.

MCFC is technically 18+, you have to be an adult to get a badge. That being said some older furs with family DO bring their kids, I think, and that's okay somehow.

But you guys forget that most cons are in hotel buildings that are STILL open to the public, and may have some non-con guests at the hotel during the con. Imagine staying at a hotel and some dude in bondage and diapers is walking around, you might not want to use that hotel chain anymore.

7 hours ago, JamesTheDog said:

If you want more cringe, look at these tweets made by RF's former chairman last night. It seems they still can't understand that people wearing fetish gear in public at the con isn't a problem:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbyPa8CW8AAIfrN.png

Okay someone is stupid.
Is Carnivale public, is Mardi Gras public? Um yes, when both events are held outside on PUBLIC STREETS.

Hotels are public in that anyone can walk into them and do business. And unless the entire hotel, and every single room, is being used by congoers, odds are you're going to have people NOT related to the con coming into the hotel and using it. Every hotel con I have been to, I have seen non-con guests at the hotel. Like I said, imagine you're a family looking for a hotel to night at, and you walk in and there's leather, diapers, codpieces, leashes, and sexual shit. You may never visit that hotel chain again. Hotels HAVE to keep that in mind, they do not want to scare away business.

• Like 2

I regards to what most 'acceptable' attire for people to wear in terms of furry conventions (considering I've never been to one) it seems rather commonplace for things like collars, leashes, other light bondage equipment (of a nature) to be there because the convention does revolve around animals, and usually your dog or whatever has that kind of stuff so it fits a schema. Other things however, like diapers, do not fits that schema and really shouldn't be exposed mainly because it's a matter of decency and respect for other people around you. That's not saying people can't wear them under their clothing, but don't intentially shit yourself around other people and at least have the decency to change yourself and dispose of your shit properly. The fact that people can't do that just grinds my gears

• Like 2