Is This Normal?

Tsuujou

So my personal group I hang out with hasn't heard from one of our friends we've known since 4th grade. He doesn't answer any sort of responses and anything we need involving him is never followed through. He doesn't attempt to come to any sort of group activities we have. Like we're trying to go to a beach house for a week soon and we're splitting the rent between us. We planned this earlier in the year and he claimed to be joining us. We need his reservation money like SOON so we can reserve it or the price jumps up significantly for all of us. But he isn't answering anything. Truth be told I kind of miss him too. This has been going on for close to 8 months now and I know the exact reason.

He has a new girlfriend.

The last time any of us spoke to him, was when one of us asked if he was coming to this Smash tourney he agreed to go to. The day before they were going to go he said no. The problem is he was the ride since he knew the fastest route to get there which left my friend hanging. My friend wasn't mad, but confused. When asked why, he just responded "Girlfriend. Nothing else is important." like some kind of thirsty ass ServBot. This was a month ago. Apparently he even blocked one of my friend's number because he doesn't want to be bothered by us while he spends his days with his girlfriend. His own FAMILY doesn't even hear from him anymore. I think he blew off an important event with them just to be with his girl. That was when we were like "wtf is going on?". I could understand if work or school was keeping him busy, but most of my group goes to the same college as him. They've seen him twice since May. And no, it's not that his girlfriend is doing something to him. This is him acting like this. He's actually been like this even in high school, but it was horomone driven high school so it was w/e. :l

Now, maybe I just sucked at being a boyfriend the few times I dated, but was I...supposed to devote every waking moment of my time to them? Is this common to completely ditch your friends and family and in some cases even fuck them over using "Girlfriend. Leave me alone" as the reason? I've literally seen him once since January. It's October. I was a full time student and I made ample time for everyone when I was dating. So did everyone else I knew who was in a relationship. Hell, some were married with kids and still at the very least responded to the important messages/calls. I kind of don't get it. 

Yeah I think your friend might be being a teeny bit obsessive. Either that or his girlfriend is really clingy.

I'm not exactly and expert on any of this so take my opinion with a grain of salt but I've got a friend who is,to a degree, like that. If his girlfriend leaves him for abit or gets irritated at him, he becomes borderline depressed,the only time he ever cheers up again is when she comes back to him. God it's gonna be awkward when they break up ( because they will).

But yeah I think you might need to explain to your friend that you don't need to be with your girlfriend 24/7

• Like 1

God it's gonna be awkward when they break up ( because they will).

But yeah I think you might need to explain to your friend that you don't need to be with your girlfriend 24/7

Oh you don't even know. When his last girlfriend left him, he didn't talk to us for a year. And he's the type of person where you can't convince him of anything. People call me stubborn, but they haven't met this guy so that little intervention is completely hopeless. Besides, we already made a futile attempt to do so.

Oh you don't even know. When his last girlfriend left him, he didn't talk to us for a year. And he's the type of person where you can't convince him of anything. People call me stubborn, but they haven't met this guy so that little intervention is completely hopeless. Besides, we already made a futile attempt to do so.

A year? As in ,365 or so days?

I'm guessing he's also the sort of guy that would try to talk to his girlfriend about their kids names a week or two after getting together? If so yeah I defiantly know a guy like this.

Well besides the fact he hasn't complete shut his friends and family out but his girlfriend has became a big part of his personality 

People and their obsessive relationships. Makes me wonder what all the buzz about getting a girlfriend/boyfriend is ( I haven't had a girlfriend since primary school so I've missed out).

Yeah, I've seen people like that. Maybe not as extreme as your friend, but everything they talk about, will be about their SO. No matter what topic, they'll squeeze them into the mix and show off their pics together and take them everything with them and so on. 

I never even try to get them out of the mindset, cause then they'll just get snippy and I don't like dealing with snippy people

If he's like that way before... Then the girlfriend must be just an excuse. Maybe he doesn't enjoy your company now or he prefers to be in a different sort of crowd. Thought it is kinda sad...

ever met or seen his girlfriend?

Never met her in person, but she seems nice from online interactions.

A lot of the people I hang around for some reason are extremely attached to their girlfriends/boyfriends and try to spend as much time with each other as possible. Although I've not come across any who'd outright ignore their family and friends over one. That's really weird... That said, I think its fairly common for people to at least get very attached to their girlfriends/boyfriends, so much so where they would spend large portions of their time together. I don't think its healthy to do that, but its common.

I couldn't do it; I like having time to myself too much.

Edited by Battlechili

Ohman I hate when people do this. It's like having a few pets that have loved you, kept you company, and cared for you since you were a wee child... But then you dump your life-long pals out on the street, and replace them with a new, adult, misbehaved pet. Only they're humans, and your friendos :u

It's great finding a new relationship and all, but blowing off others for one person 24/7 is totally jerk-tastic. And if it's the other person in the relationship being clingy and overbearing, well... Someone needs to get themselves a bigger pair of 'nads, dang it.

• Like 1

You guys already made plans, it should matter very little whether or not he gets a girlfriend, and she should understand that these plans were made beforehand. In my opinion, he's being very disrespectful by just ditching you. The fact that he was your ride to a Smash tournament that he agreed to go to just pisses me off, you don't do that to people.

Honestly, -when- his girl dumps him, he better not expect a pity party.

If he can't take even a LITTLE time out of his day to talk to you for 5 minutes, he doesn't deserve one either. You're not just some random dude off the street, you've known each other for a while.

And if he's not going to respond with that money, I'd take him off the resevervation, doesn't seem likely that he's going to follow through.

• Like 1