Rant: I hate you windows 10

Hell_Charm

I knew windows 10 was a bit buggy but this really tops it of -.-

So this morning my pc was working just fine. When I booted up my laptop again after lunch I got a default desktop with a small message box that my microsoft account couldn't be accesed so that I was now using a temorary one. After restarting a few times nothing changed, always the same thing, thank god I can still get to all my files by manually browsing my C drive and going into my normal use acc's folders.

I hope someone will reply on the microsoft forums (probably not because it's weekend) because this is so damn annoying.

If there are any people in doubt to install windows 10 ... just don't

I've been using windows 10 since it became available and haven't had any trouble with it. Obviously that's not going to be a universal experience but just because you're having trouble with it doesn't mean that the entire OS is irredeemable garbage.

Is there a benefit to microsoft accounts? Why do people make them?

An email address to direct all your spam to and 15 GB of free cloud storage on onedrive

syncs your settings/preferences/personalizations across windows machines logged onto the same account

that's p much it

• Like 3

I've been using windows 10 since it became available and haven't had any trouble with it. Obviously that's not going to be a universal experience but just because you're having trouble with it doesn't mean that the entire OS is irredeemable garbage.

The complaints Win10 has had have been scarce as fuck. It's a fairly stable OS and most people really enjoy it. I've heard that it's not even just different but improves performance in games (like technical not skill lol). So...yeah. This. 

Having a Microsoft account really wouldn't do me any favors unless I wanted a new Email, Cloud drive, and xbox account which I dont' since I'm fully integrated into Google's suit of services which do all this and with better usability with android. As for Windows 10 its been mostly smooth sailing in my case although this is on a home built system with very good specs and operated by someone who knows whats to update as far as drivers and all after the install.

The problem is that I don't know any people who use a microsoft account on their device, is it possible to make them login to mine if they don't use one themselves? (I thought the login options might differ depending on your choise to do/do not use the microsoft account option during windows 10 install)

Also, Windows 10 loves to ignore your HOSTs file, so any protections you had there - bye. Unless you've got the same list somewhere in your router/hardware firewall or if you're using a software firewall OTHER than Microsoft's built-in one (they bypass it too with the Telemetry, it's hard-coded) you won't stop it.

That right there is balls-tastic and flies in the face of a standard OS convention that has been around for decades. Though I should hardly be surprised, it's not the first time MS has gone off the reservation like that.

I'm really waiting to see if this "free" OS turns out to be the launch pad for a paid subscription model.

I've had fewer problems with Windows 10 than I had with Windows 7. Not only is it faster and more efficient, but many of the small, technical glitches are gone. Biggest problem I have is that Sleep mode is a bit botched right now, but that might be my own doing.

I've had absolutely no problems with Windows 10 on my main PC, which is a relief. My tablet however, has the touch driver mess up if I use the pen for a while, and also has the sound driver fuck up at random forcing me to restart. I would like to add that these problems are odd because the tablet was made by Microsoft.

From a technical perspective windows 10 is pretty awesome and Microsoft did a good job.
You know.. aside from the

Boss: "We need to release the new Windows!"
Worker: "No problem. Any deadline?"
Boss: "Yesterday!"

-bugs (yes, i'm gonna call them like that).

Windows 10 consumes less resources is more responsive and has much better driver support.

From any privacy concerned point of view it's garbage. It's even worse than Google's Android.
Yes, i'm a paranoid shitface, but holy fuck does Windows 10 like to call back home (partially observed by me and expanded by various found sources):

oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
bs.serving-sys.com
c.msn.com
cdn.atdmt.com
cds26.ams9.msecn.net
c.atdmt.com
db3aqu.atdmt.com
sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
corp.sts.microsoft.com
statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
pre.footprintpredict.com
redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
choice.microsoft.com
ads.msn.com
ads1.msads.net
ads1.msn.com
preview.msn.com
ad.doubleclick.net
ec.atdmt.com
flex.msn.com
g.msn.com
h2.msn.com
choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
df.telemetry.microsoft.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
telemetry.appex.bing.net
telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
a.ads1.msn.com
b.ads1.msn.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com
i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
feedback.windows.com
feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
feedback.search.microsoft.com
rad.msn.com
survey.watson.microsoft.com
watson.live.com
watson.microsoft.com
statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
compatexchange.cloudapp.net
cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
a-0001.a-msedge.net
statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
h1.msn.com
bing.com
ssw.live.com
vortex.data.microsoft.com
vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
secure.flashtalking.com
static.2mdn.net
a.ads2.msn.com
adnexus.net
adnxs.com
aidps.atdmt.com
www.msftncsi.com
msftncsi.com
live.rads.msn.com
msntest.serving-sys.com
m.adnxs.com
m.hotmail.com
preview.msn.com
pricelist.skype.com
rad.msn.com
rad.live.com
view.atdmt.com
apps.skype.com
az361816.vo.msecnd.net
az512334.vo.msecnd.net
a.rad.msn.com
a.ads2.msads.net
ac3.msn.com
aka-cdn-ns.adtech.de
b.rad.msn.com
b.ads2.msads.net
s.gateway.messenger.live.com
secure.adnxs.com
sO.2mdn.net
ui.skype.com

And boy does Microsoft want you to upgrade. They even do Updates for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 in preparation.

And if you really don't want to upgrade you still get their all new telemetry services delivered right onto your hard drive.
Here's a batch code for 8.1 (it should work on 7 and 8 too) to uninstall these if you don't want them:

@echo off
echo.
echo The following updates will be removed after keypress:
echo.
echo KB3068708 (collects telemetry data)
echo KB3022345 (collects telemetry data)
echo KB2952664 (preparation for Windows 10)
echo KB2990214 (preparation for Windows 10)
echo KB3035583 (annoys you with Windows 10 upgrade)
echo KB971033 (deactivates "pirated" Windows version)
echo KB3021917 (collects telemetry and diagnostic data)
echo KB3044374 (preparation for Windows 10)
echo KB2976978 (preparation for Windows 10)
echo KB3075249 (collects telemetry data)
echo KB3080149 (collects telemetry data)
echo.
pause
cls
echo.
echo UNINSTALLING!
echo.
@echo on

call wusa /uninstall /KB:3068708 /quiet /norestart
call wusa /uninstall /KB:3022345 /quiet /norestart
call wusa /uninstall /KB:2952664 /quiet /norestart
call wusa /uninstall /KB:2990214 /quiet /norestart
call wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583 /quiet /norestart
call wusa /uninstall /KB:971033 /quiet /norestart
call wusa /uninstall /KB:3021917 /quiet /norestart
call wusa /uninstall /KB:3044374 /quiet /norestart
call wusa /uninstall /KB:2976978 /quiet /norestart
call wusa /uninstall /KB:3075249 /quiet /norestart
call wusa /uninstall /KB:3080149 /quiet /norestart

@echo off
cls
echo.
echo Done! Your PC will restart after keypress.
echo.
echo It's recommended to "hide" the just uninstalled updates so they won't reinstall themselves.
echo.
pause
shutdown.exe /r /t 00
ENDE

And for everyone who accidentally upgraded (why the fuck is this even possible?) here's a Link on how to downgrade.

Edited by Luccus
why is spelling so difficult?

From a technical perspective windows 10 is pretty awesome and Microsoft did a good job.
You know.. aside from the

Boss: "We need to release the new Windows!"
Worker: "No problem. Any deadline?"
Boss: "Yesterday!"

-bugs (yes, i'm gonna call them like that).

Windows 10 consumes less resources is more responsive and has much better driver support.

From any privacy concerned point of view it's garbage. It's even worse than Google's Android.
Yes, i'm a paranoid shitface, but holy fuck does Windows 10 like to call back home (partially observed by me and expanded by various found sources):

Hidden Content

And boy does Microsoft want you to upgrade. They even do Updates for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 in preparation.

And if you really don't want to upgrade you still get their all new telemetry services delivered right onto your hard drive.
Here's a batch code for 8.1 (it should work on 7 and 8 too) to uninstall these if you don't want them:

Hidden Content

And for everyone who accidentally upgraded (why the fuck is this even possible?) here's a Link on how to downgrade.

To bad I already passed the 1 month period :S anyway, it magically fixed itself, only to break my start menu, googled it and seems to be a frequent problem, going to try and fix it this weekend.

Yeah...this thread pretty much sealed my decision to NOT upgrade from 8. As annoying as the OS is to me (Macfag here, used my Macbook for the past 6yrs and just got a PC this year, only because Apple charges too fucking much to repair/replace), at least it FUNCTIONS.

Windows 10 looks fine, until it starts getting buggy and once it starts it only gets worse, seems it frequently happens that file go corrupt and stuff, oh well, I'll be reinstalling my windows tomorrow to fix the start menu problem, tried all of the easy might fix it options so I have no other choice, fingers crossed it'll fix it

Windows 10 looks fine, until it starts getting buggy and once it starts it only gets worse, seems it frequently happens that file go corrupt and stuff, oh well, I'll be reinstalling my windows tomorrow to fix the start menu problem, tried all of the easy might fix it options so I have no other choice, fingers crossed it'll fix it

I'd throw my laptop out the window if it corrupted my art files >:U

• Like 1

This is why you wait like 3-5 years before switching the newest windows OS. Let other people be MS's guinea pigs.

Agreed.  Windows 10 can definitely wait, as far as I'm concerned.  I'd only just upgraded to Windows 7 (from XP) last month.

Aside from an occasional annoyance with the overprotective UAC, Win7 has been a fairly positive experience so far.  But its refusal to let me reorganise the Start menu to better suit my preferences was driving me to distraction, and I had to install the Classic Start Menu mod to put things in order.

Edited by Little_Dragon

Thankfully, most often corruption happens directly to the system files, not other files you were working on unless you have a sudden power outage.

Windows loves to somehow lose/corrupt its NTLDR.SYS file. I've had this problem ever since Windows 2000, and I've had it happen all the way through to Windows 8.

8( lucky my man is good with computers, though he doesn't know shit about Macs. I'd still be using my mac if the battery wasn't shit (I can't unplug the power cable or the computer will die) and it wouldn't cost me as much to upgrade the OS and replace the damn battery as A NEW PC LAPTOP >:U

I'd throw my laptop out the window if it corrupted my art files >:U

Make backups.  Like, I'm sure you've heard out a thousand times and most people won't listen to the advice until they've suffered a critical failure.  Backup your valuable stuff.  The family photos, the creative works, and all that stuff that you'd be unhappy about losing.  Even if you just buy a super cheap 32GB USB key, fill it with stuff, label it, and keep it in bowl on a bookshelf.  MAKE.  BACKUPS.  Hard drives can die, computers and short out and blow out every component in the system, literally cosmic rays can flips bits in RAM (Not joking), houses burn down, people spill drinks, things fall off tables.  Backups.

• Like 2

Make backups.  Like, I'm sure you've heard out a thousand times and most people won't listen to the advice until they've suffered a critical failure.  Backup your valuable stuff.  The family photos, the creative works, and all that stuff that you'd be unhappy about losing.  Even if you just buy a super cheap 32GB USB key, fill it with stuff, label it, and keep it in bowl on a bookshelf.  MAKE.  BACKUPS.  Hard drives can die, computers and short out and blow out every component in the system, literally cosmic rays can flips bits in RAM (Not joking), houses burn down, people spill drinks, things fall off tables.  Backups.

I have an extra SSD drive in mine to keep all my files on :D so they're always safe.

But I'm planning on buying an extra SSD drive to use for daily backups because my internal SSD is getting a bit flooded with files xD

Windows 7 master race reporting in. I uninstalled it the day I installed it. That "free" tag ain't enough to win me over.

I had windows 8 (we needed it for school because some programs won't run on windows 7 anymore - if you use the latest version of the program) so for my the windows 10 interface was a huge improvement because it was a bit more like the good old windows 7.

But yeah -.- them bugs ruin everything

8( holy shit. I do definitely need to invest in more USBs

If you were anywhere near me, I could replace the battery for you.

Apple hardware is expensive, and not just because of brand recognition. Back when I worked the G3/G4/G5 repair lines in Memphis, the majority of units we were fixing were brand-new from the line that failed. Rough estimate, 2/3 that we repaired were defective off-the-line units. That's a pretty steep re-work cost. On top of that, quite often our shipments of replacement logic boards came with crap like dirt/sand/dust in the anti-static bags, because they were just taped shut and not heat-sealed, from Guadalajara. I'd estimate 1/3 of those boards were DOA. It was NOT a fun time for us techs back then. Those re-work costs were pretty expensive, too.

O.o That's...insane. Seriously? Then again, I shouldn't be too surprised. I got my Macbook in 2009, and it was among the laptops that had crashing spindles, and so Apple ended up having to release a firmware update to fix the damn problem.

I knew windows 10 was a bit buggy but this really tops it of -.-

So this morning my pc was working just fine. When I booted up my laptop again after lunch I got a default desktop with a small message box that my microsoft account couldn't be accesed so that I was now using a temorary one. After restarting a few times nothing changed, always the same thing, thank god I can still get to all my files by manually browsing my C drive and going into my normal use acc's folders.

I hope someone will reply on the microsoft forums (probably not because it's weekend) because this is so damn annoying.

If there are any people in doubt to install windows 10 ... just don't

In response to this issue, this is usually caused by either a Virus or a bad windows update. I know I am probably a bit behind here, but if you have not gotten an answer yet, there it is. I would start by looking at recent updates and removing them individually. I have seen it caused by a virus more often though, so look into that as well. Also, this is not just a Windows 10 issue. It hits both 7 and 8 as well. This is the first I have heard of it hitting 10 though :/ 

Edit:

Sorry, didn't see the problem 'fixed itself'. Stay away from Microsoft accounts. Even if you do need one for the cloud storage or office, you can sign into apps separately without using one to log into the machine. 

There is a whole slew of privacy issues with Windows 10, that most layman users don't understand or know to turn off. With that said, Windows 10 set up correctly has worked flawlessly on my machines. Not that I am really worried about MS spying on me, Google has been doing it for years and no one batted an eye.  

Edited by Zettabit

Ugh, that sucks. I never even connected my Microsoft account to my copy of Windows 10.

The only thing that really pisses me off personally is how it handles updates. It doesn't ask you to restart, it just schedules a reboot for you. And apparently you can only reschedule it a couple of times? One time it just greyed out the button and I couldn't do it. And then while I was busy importing 16gb worth of RAW data from my camera into Adobe Lightroom it was all like "Nope, I'm just gonna reboot now! :3" *PLOP* Completely messed up my folder structure for that import, I ended up importing 5gb worth of files twice... I was so pissed off XP

Does anyone know a way to switch off these completely automatic updates?

Free Win10. That's what the man said.

Reality; nothing labeled Microsoft is free. My friend lost her Start Menu in Win10 a few days ago. Even M$ was unable to fix this one. Last I heard, she was still trying to reinstall Win7. I suspect Win10 will lead to a paid/subscription model. My brother-in-law is switching to LibreOffice because his subscription to Office 365 expired, He renewed it with a credit card and 365 won't accept that it's been renewed. Even Redmond claims its activated after fishing around in his computer for an hour via remote control. As soon as they broke the connection and Office 365 wouldn't start (again), another remote connection box popped up from a Microsoft Partner and wouldn't go away. I told him to turn off his modem. I'm not sure where he's at with this, since he hasn't called me back yet. Heck, the computer may be out in the driveway, for all I know. He did sound frustrated on the phone.

I will stay with Win7 until it won't run anymore, then I'll switch to some flavor of Linux. I do not want Redmond spying on my computer usage. 'Nuff said.

literally cosmic rays can flips bits in RAM (Not joking)

I just had to pop in and comment on this one, because it hit my employer despite sounding like something out of a fucking Star Trek script. Yep, this is real - just ask Sun Microsystems Oracle about the impact cosmic rays had on their million-dollar compute platforms. When they put "We put internal SRAM protection on the Enterprise Sunfire 12k because of bit-flip errors from cosmic rays," you probably have a legitimate problem to deal with.

Apple hardware is expensive, and not just because of brand recognition. Back when I worked the G3/G4/G5 repair lines in Memphis, the majority of units we were fixing were brand-new from the line that failed. Rough estimate, 2/3 that we repaired were defective off-the-line units. That's a pretty steep re-work cost. On top of that, quite often our shipments of replacement logic boards came with crap like dirt/sand/dust in the anti-static bags, because they were just taped shut and not heat-sealed, from Guadalajara. I'd estimate 1/3 of those boards were DOA. It was NOT a fun time for us techs back then. Those re-work costs were pretty expensive, too.

Shit like this is why I gave up on my 2006 Blackbook and have never looked back at Apple's gear. Do I miss OS X and the glory of a Unix underpinning with a brilliant GUI? Absolutely. Every day I shed a tear that Sun Microsystems, HP and SGI couldn't figure out a UI that was as fantastic as OS X (Fuck you, Common Desktop Environment). But after my logic board failed not twice but three times, the battery went to shit (and I got the run-around from Apple and the Genius Bar for six weeks before I got a replacement), and then the HDD finally crapped out? Done. Just done. Not for that price, not ever again.