Reviews are Memes

PastryOfApathy

So I just downloaded Fallout 4, yay me and stuff. But out of curiosity I checked the steam reviews even though I'm gonna buy it anyways and for the most part is pretty much what I expected, which is to say perpetually assblasted fallout purists whining as usual about everything. But what got me is that just about every "review" is a fucking meme.

Randomly spewing memes isn't a review you fuckstick. That's literally reddit levels of attention whoring.

• Like 1

Reviews are such a joke nowadays honestly. Barely anyone takes them seriously anymore. All it does is one of 2 things: Bandwagoning with the reviewer or spewing crazy amounts of hate against the reviewer. 

Well, written reviews are. I like watching video reviews including actual gameplay though. Seeing it happen in addition to hearing what someone thinks about it is far more informative than just the latter: sometimes even when I think the reviewer's opinion is shit I still learn useful things from watching.

Just dig and keep digging until you find something that's paragraphs long explaining what the game is like in detail and how that's good or bad.

I mostly use Steam reviews as a means of checking to see if a game has anything bad about it that would bother me. 

• Like 1

The only time Steam reviews are useful are for less than super popular games or if any title (regardless of popularity) flopped over and died after being released. I'd argue they're very useful for indie games, especially of the EA sort. Anything big like Fallout 4 though... why anyone would waste their time looking at text reviews instead of watching gameplay reviews so you can actually see the content is beyond me.

I almost always check reviews for games, on Steam and elsewhere, before I purchase them and there have been many times that I have either been persuaded or dissuaded from a purchase because of them.  I never read positive reviews though because I generally know what I want a game to be before I even consider a purchase.  I look for negative reviews and I try to find ones that have actual effort into discussing the pros and cons of various features a game possesses.